Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: UNCRUISE
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 09:18 AM
UNCRUISE

A new player in the tourist scene has planted itself right in the middle of our fairly isolated community. I have sent them an email asking them to suspend operations. Please join me if you would like to give support.

https://www.uncruise.com/destinations/mexico-cruises/bajas-b...

"It would be most appreciated by our small isolated community if you would suspend further operations in Baja California Sur. The key to successful containment of covid19 is in isolation. You are not helping us in any way by bringing your customers. Please respect our community.. Sincerely, Bobelon"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 10:31 AM

weebray! Write to the mayor, write to the governor.

This is really crazy. I sur hope they are not allowed.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
weebray! Write to the mayor, write to the governor.

This is really crazy. I sur hope they are not allowed.

Wrote to the company asking them to suspend operations. Got a generic bla, bla, bla..... about how clean they were keeping their boat etc etc. Contacted the mayor and governor - no response. Mexican friends are raising a stink. We hide under a flat rock.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Oliver

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 01:22 PM

It sounds pretty irresponsible on Uncruise' part. Maybe if you phoned them it would have more of an effect. Uncruise, in my opinion has been good for BCS in the past but this is serious and they shouldn't put everyone in danger(including their own clients) by continuing business as usual.
Maybe some well place signs like "Uncuise is unwelcome, come back when it's safe" would get their attention.
I live on the coast in northern California and we were swamped last Saturday by hordes of tourists violating the sheltering place edict. The next day a bunch of local people (standing ten feet apart) held up signs respectfully asking tourists to turn back and about two thirds obliged.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 01:26 PM

Why not put big VIRUS HERE! signs at the debarkation point and see how fast they scuttle up the gangway. :light:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 01:54 PM

My Mexican neighbors and friends have the full spectrum of reactions to the pandemic. Some are in no way concerned; others are frightened. Most can't afford the luxury of isolation.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
All I know is IF this thing goes on for a vary long time and people get desperate watch out !

Desperate people DO desperate things. So take measures NOW and have a plan to defend you your loved one's and your property..

I hope and pray that it never comes to that BUT it certainly is a vary distinct possibility with the way things are headed...

There really is some merit to this thinking. We certainly wont be able to count on the local police for any protection.

Heck, they might be leading the charge!

I'm more worried about break-ins after we leave. There are easier pickings than houses that are still lived in. Lots of empty gringo homes from June-October.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 12:36 PM

To anyone getting on a cruse ship right now I would say -
Don't forget the Corona!

Pay for two weeks and get two free weeks in quarantine!
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:00 AM

Did not not know about this operation, unintended consequence of highlighting a problem. Not a cheap cruise even with an open bar.
It is unclear from the site , are they in operation now, cruising the bay with passengers today? Yes, poor optics if they are. Obviously the company is not being proactive and neither are the tourists.
The pictures look great, not to my tastes but I can see this route becoming very popular with the cruise market.

To those in the know, the depths, sea life, infrastructure in the bay - the mass market cruising ships, the bigger ones would be a low chance to be granted permission to get in here one day?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:09 AM

Generic response from the company to the effect that they are too busy to answer right now. Unconfirmed reports that the passengers of the last cruise were disembarked on a beach near Cabo and bussed to the airport. We have not seen the ship since. ????

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:20 AM
Lock and Load !

An outdated and (technically) inaccurate advisory, BUT all get the message.

Years ago moored in Glorietta Bay, listening to Roger Hedgecock, a retired LAPD detective then in the Personal Security business offered the following assessment of their Law-Enforcement mission .................. "We aren't there to 'Protect and Serve'. We're there to clean up afterwards ".

When the REALLY big stuff hits the fan, you're on your own.
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 11:13 AM

Roger Hedgec-ck was a mayor from San Diego forced from office because of financial improprieties and he became a radio talk show host soon after.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 11:54 AM

Roger was very popular on local radio (late 1990s), then Rush Limbaugh had him as a fill in guest host on his nation-wide show. Roger was so popular that his San Diego based show went into nationwide syndication. At the top of his game, he retired the show to share solitude with his wife, as I recall him saying. I saw them at the airport not long after the show ended.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 04:26 PM
Good Advice for Troubled Times

Reflecting back to that radio interview on the Roger Hedgecock show years ago, the other piece of solid advice offered by the guest was " If you ever need to shoot an intruder always fire three shots. The first two to the chest and the third into the ceiling. When asked if you fired a warning shot, point to the one in the ceiling ".
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 04:39 PM

He was never a LAPD Detective, retired or not

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

Years ago moored in Glorietta Bay, listening to Roger Hedgecock, a retired LAPD detective then in the Personal Security business offered the following assessment of their Law-Enforcement mission .................. "We aren't there to 'Protect and Serve'. We're there to clean up afterwards ".

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 05:17 PM
Mea Culpa

The paragraph was badly worded. I was referring to the GUEST on the show. As subsequently (BEFORE your post) noted.

Near to perfect I may be. Infrequently I err.

As Charlie Chan would say "So Solly !"

[Edited on 3-28-2020 by MrBillM]
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 05:57 PM

Lock and Load
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

The cruise took a weird turn but interesting none the less. This Roger guy has an interesting WIKI page, not to make fun of but the lawsuit entry is unique I'd say.

Back to lock and loader , I think the apocalypse is slightly delayed with the 2 Trillion about to be sprayed. But yes I think America could devolve into anarchy hotspots. There was a clip last week of scumbags in San Fran going into a store, bags in hand, loading up and walking out. Staff just standing there looking. I'd think a baseball bat could come in handy. The best gun salesman EVER in america was Obama, CoVid might come in second when all is done. The happiest and I bet smuggest have to be the preppers. Finally ! they can get that pantry in the basement into use.

I hope America can ride this out with minimal destruction. I keep seeing a man on the TV who says its under control and it will just go away with the heat , knew it was a pandemic before anybody else, had to fix the system that Obama mucked up... he is something alright.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 10:14 PM

agreed, he definatly talks a bit tooooo much, not cool. Ass,,'s are never popular, especially if you are called to clean up a freakn mess. "Tierney has always been the end game of prosperity" this can end a few different ways, a continuation of a TWO party system is definatly needed. The rightious right or the loonie leftists are not what the overall intelligence of this country is, centrists with what works for the greater good, even if its unfair to some and outrageously beneficial to some. It's life, always will be, at least while we're around

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.