BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Blanca gets in trouble!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
The hwy is being sealed off at Campo Fisher. We were advised by the Delegado today.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Our local grocery store has changed the rules so that ONLY La Bocana residents can shop there.

Punta Abreojos grocery store is only allowing fishing cooperative members to shop there.

Sounds like rural baja society is traveling down the road to tribalism, and Conrad's Heart of Darkness...

Sounds to me like rural Baja is waking up to the fact that their country has elected an idiot who has a death wish
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 05:22 PM

As a resident I have no problem with the blocking of the highway, but I bet the virus is already here.

Why do you say that? Do you know of anyone seriously ill in Abreojos? There is nobody here. It's a small town. Words gets around quickly.

If they close the highway I don't know how we're going to withdraw money to live on.

Meanwhile, all restaurants have closed here.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 05:47 PM

Hi Skipjack, we were in your neck of the woods today if you are in Abre.

Can you not use the ATM for your cash or does it charge too much? As a resident, you will have no issues reentering town.

We use the telecomm for our transfers, the limit is $1500 dollars a day. Happy to explain how it works if you want.

I agree with Ralph. Without a shadow of a doubt, the virus is here. San Ignacio had hundreds of international visitors this year and Abreojans and Bocanans spend quite a few weekends there. Many, many students came back to their parents' home from La Paz and other places. Keeping the distance is the only recourse right now. May I please be so wrong.

The news is that because the delegados (mayors) are now being quite pro-active, I am not the only baddie. Rumor has it they might indeed close campo fisher (but it was open today), they might not allow booze to be bought after 2 pm (what is up with that????) and lastly, everyone is supposed to be inside their home by 9 pm.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 06:02 PM

"they might not allow booze to be bought after 2 pm"

So, You better to get you're drink on early !!

Or at least BUY early,
If'n Yur up THAT early after hanging one on the night before ????

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 06:28 PM

I agree with Ralph. Without a shadow of a doubt, the virus is here. San Ignacio had hundreds of international visitors this year and Abreojans and Bocanans spend quite a few weekends there. Many, many students came back to their parents' home from La Paz and other places. Keeping the distance is the only recourse right now. May I please be so wrong.

Well, if there isn't a shadow of a doubt then you can't be wrong.

It doesn't hurt to be overly cautious. If you think you're living among infected people, that's ok. I feel strongly the other way. There are many reasons but I don't think what I say will matter much. Either way, if it's not here now it will be later. Personally I feel that we're real lucky that we can close a single road and be relatively isolated. There aren't many places like that.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 08:21 PM

As I look out at the ocean, I truly believe that we are lucky. We can walk for hours and never see another human. There are 2 ways into La Bocana - in from Bahia Asuncion and of course, via Abreojos. Three if one takes into account the ocean and coming in by boat.

I pray with all my heart that YOU are right and I am over reacting. Because I am diabetic, for me, this is panic time. Because Les had heart issues, this is panic time.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

As a resident I have no problem with the blocking of the highway, but I bet the virus is already here.

Why do you say that? Do you know of anyone seriously ill in Abreojos? There is nobody here. It's a small town. Words gets around quickly.

If they close the highway I don't know how we're going to withdraw money to live on.

Meanwhile, all restaurants have closed here.

Couple of people with the "flu". There is no testing so who knows. You can use the ATM for money. The recommendation is that all tourists leave. Campo Rene is closed. Expat residents should make a decision to stay pu or leave but not go back and forth.

Blanca makes it sound like you are now a resident?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 01:11 AM

As I look out at the ocean, I truly believe that we are lucky. We can walk for hours and never see another human. There are 2 ways into La Bocana - in from Bahia Asuncion and of course, via Abreojos. Three if one takes into account the ocean and coming in by boat.

I pray with all my heart that YOU are right and I am over reacting. Because I am diabetic, for me, this is panic time. Because Les had heart issues, this is panic time.

I, too, have had a number of recent illnesses so I'm pretty vulnerable here. I recently read the article of the woman that had what she thought was coronavirus in Cabo but wouldn't be tested. It was eerily similar to what I went through 8 years ago with Valley Fever. It's nothing like you ever had before. You know when you get it and you know when you see someone with it. The colds and sniffles everyone gets in this town (Asuncion) are like the first couple of days of it. Most people here have chronic sinusitis due to the winds in my opinion.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 10:00 AM

It is tough once you start choosing who to let in.
I know as a parent we want to protect our children which is why my daughter & 2 grandchildren are here in Asuncion after self quarantined to make sure they arent infected.
There are expats who have homes here who have come to shelter here...who am I to tell them not to come. I understand we must limit the risk of bringing the virus here but anything short of martial law wont stop the risk.

Even residents who go to Vizcaino to shop or bank will be exposed to the virus so pretty hard to shut down all access. I figure if we all do our part to limit exposure we should be fine...marial law seems a bit draconian to me as does stopping alcohol sales after 2:00!!

I heard about the new restrictions for coming and going and understand that only residents will be allowed in but personally havent seen any checkpoints for Asuncion. Some businesses are closed and some open with restrictions on how many in a store at one time and most are practicing social distancing. All in all I figure we are so fortunate to live in this remote area of Baja.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 11:22 AM

There is/was even another way... if the Abreojos blockade cuts off your supplies. Mike Younghusband and Don-Kay used it after leaving your place.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 07:24 PM

Blanca I will be thinking of and praying for you and les and your safety.
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 05:38 PM

Blanca what you suggested was spot on and if some people are offended by it too bad...

Derek
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 07:07 PM

Ya, as if Blanka's heart isn't always in the right place !!!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 07:39 PM

A few more ways:
Conception, birth
Air transport
Teleportation

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 08:42 PM

In contrast to what is happening today in response to the Corona Virus, take a look at the 1968 H3N2 “Hong Kong Flu” that took the lives of a reported 100,000 Americans and an estimated million around the world. There was no government response in restricting travel, martial law action, or destroying people’s livelihoods by shutting down businesses and causing devastating damage to the economy that will continue for years to come. Last estimate I heard on this pandemic is a possible high of 80,000 American deaths., but probably much lower. Maybe a proper response would be to scale back the massive US war killing machinery expenditure and devote the savings to Medical research.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 01:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

Maybe a proper response would be to scale back the massive US war killing machinery expenditure and devote the savings to Medical research.

Very true.

However, here is a plot of cases vs time in the US. Notice anything interesting?

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.31.jpg - 54kB
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 04:44 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I pray for each and every one of you! Where would I be without my bajanomad family?

I have to confess, it is really, REALLY hard for the social side of me to distance myself.

There was a woman on TV who said her brother called her on a Wednesday to say he had the virus and he was dead on the following Friday. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

I have spent the last 3 days writing out instructions for each of my students on how to contact their college sponsors directly in case I go to greener pastures. I had thought about having my friend from Abreojos manage the project but it was so hard to explain the ins and outs that it seemed better for each student to be responsible for their own funds. I don't plan on croaking anytime soon but then, no one does, right?

So, I hope you have been enjoying some of the jokes going around! I cry at how funny some of them are. A Brazilian one showed a guy in the kitchen, throwing oil and water on the floor and then running in place. His new home gym!

Come visit La Bocana

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 07:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Maybe a proper response would be to scale back the massive US war killing machinery expenditure and devote the savings to Medical research.

+1

John
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 07:48 AM

+2

Come visit La Bocana

bezzelle
Banned

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 08:56 AM

+2

Ms Blanca ... YOU should watch this doctor's video if you can. Will re-assure / prep you (57min)

https://vimeo.com/399733860
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.