Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Scenic Tire Repairs
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 11:10 PM
Scenic Tire Repairs

Earlier this month I drove down to Baja for some more adventure. But, once again, multiple mechanical issues cropped up with my van and I didn't end up getting all that much done.

Last year my Baja trip was cut short when I ripped the sidewall of one of my tires out on Sierra los Galivanes, and then couldn't locate a suitably sized spare. Well, this year I wasn't such a tire wimp!

Actually, I didn't have much of a choice this time. I gashed two of my tires.

I was heading out to see Ensenada el Mangle to investigate the abandoned villas there [GPS:26.2775,-111.3951]. Just after passing the old entrance wall along the rocky entrance road, a huge boulder jumped out of the bushes and impaled its rocky tooth into *both* of my left-side tires. (Yeah... I'm not always so good at being "careful" when I'm driving.)

What to do? I knew I wasn't going to get out of there on three tires. I've plugged up many tire punctures with those sticky rope worm things, but I've always assumed a sidewall gash meant the tire was a goner.

But I've watched Youtube videos on field-repair! I've seen how people sew up their tire sidewall holes!

Me, I've never even removed a tire from its rim (bicycles don't count)... But why not try? I did have all day...

First, I had to get the tire off the rim. I wasn't having much luck with big screwdrivers. Then I remembered my van's big lug wrench handle has a pointy end. Aha! That must be what it's for! With ample hammering, I managed to use my lug wrench handle to get the tire off the rim.

Then I built a workstation out of rocks to raise one sidewall of the tire above the rim, so I could get access to the inside.

I used an awl, some wire, and a hand mirror to stitch the gashes closed.

With an angle grinder, some tire cement, and a piece of bicycle inner tube, I patched the inside of the tire. (Next time bring real patches!)

Wrestling the tire back onto the rim was just as much fun as the removal!

When it came time to set the bead again, I remembered a Youtube video where a spray can of flammable gas and a match can be used to explosively pressurize the tire. I did have some camping butane stove fuel... Sounds fun!

Actually, no, I decided not to have *that* much fun when I was out there alone in the middle of nowhere. I used a couple of ratchet straps tightened around the tread, and that worked great. With my onboard air compressor, I easily set the bead – without even needing to remove the valve core.

For good measure, I also added a bag of TireJect tire sealing liquid.

The whole process took me over five hours, but in the end - yes, I rolled on out of there!

Here's a 1-minute time-lapse video of my repair from my dash cam. My dash cam only captures motion – so it doesn't properly represent all the time I'm standing around pondering what to do next.

I drove on to the beach at El Mangle to sleep for the night. . .

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 11:11 PM

The next morning I decided to repair my 2nd damaged tire as well – to double my chances of getting back to civilization. The beach was a far more comfortable workshop than the trail had been yesterday. And a group of fishermen showed up, providing some friendly advice and company.

Tire repair #2. Another masterpiece!

The abandoned villas of Ensenada el Mangle...

As I said, it worked! I made it out of there.

Wire, it turns out, isn't the best stitching material. I should have used Kevlar thread. Wire flexes with every tire rotation, and then the metal fatigues. My stitches all eventually snapped.

A few miles outside of Mulege, I started losing air – so I switched to my other repaired tire, and that got me to the tire shop.

The tire guy at Llantera Mulege shook his head at my work, but was able to provide me a "real" sidewall repair for $200 pesos that got me all the way back to the US, where I could buy two fresh tires.

-- Geoff

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by geoffff]

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 02:53 AM

Thanks brings back many memories .... when tubes were used and putting a "boot" in was SOP

Well done and thanks for the pics and report :):)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 05:34 AM

I am impressed! :wow:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 06:38 AM
Great ingenuity

Your fortunate for having the bike tube and glue! Good for you. Think I'm gonna buy a couple of tire boots.

We can't carry everything but these look pretty good. If the link doesn't work you can google tyrepliers Bead Breaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-TYxLyQh04

John
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 07:04 AM

Daaaamn, thats some genuine macgyver moves.
Well done.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 07:25 AM

Well done!

You gotta have a little Canadian in you my man.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 09:00 AM

I came to Ensenada Mangle by boat maybe 10-12 years ago.... at that time much of the main house structure was still there (although pushed over). The captain from Loreto, told us a wild story about an Italian doctor that was building the house. The small villas pictured were for guests and staff.
The story went that the doctor had been convicted of his part of a child kidnapping ring...... that harvested organs from the victims for sales on the black market.
After the doctors conviction the military came out and destroyed the partially constructed mansion.
I dont know how true.... but I still tell the story whenever we boat by.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 09:09 AM

You win, Geoff! :bounce::bounce::bounce::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 09:53 AM

Geoff,

You had me laughing ALL the way through you're tires adventure !:bounce:

The video was the topper, reminded my of the old time Laurel and Hardy films... Hilarious !

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 10:04 AM

Way to go Geoff. Talk about the mothers of invention, you got that going on.

Ever since the late 80's when I blew two tires and had to rely upon a friend to drive me back to the highway for a fix, I have always carried two spares on rims. Some here poopooed this years ago when I brought it up, but I remain convinced a little extra insurance is wise when one is on your own off-road.

Sewing up a sidewall never entered my mind. I do carry some fix a flat type spray cans that worked well decades ago on the East Cape, but I haven't needed those ever since. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the great tire tutorial and an insurance carrier that I never go without when south of the border.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 10:15 AM

I don't carry all the tools and gear that Geoff does, but I do carry an inner tube that I could have installed (with a boot) by a tire shop.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 10:33 AM

That is amazing! WTG! Going to have to check out those YouTube vids!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 11:27 AM

Wow! Great repairs! I'm impressed that you pulled those off while on the trail!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
We can't carry everything but these look pretty good. If the link doesn't work you can google tyrepliers Bead Breaker

Yes, can't have too many tools!

The first tire broke its own bead in the collision. For the second tired I figured I could just drive up onto the tire, using the weight of the van to break the seal. One of my fisherman friends suggested adding the block of wood, and it worked!

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 01:31 PM

Great report.... the true spirit of Baja resides within you.

We had many tire adventures in the 12 years that I raced, but never attempted a fix like this.

I remember changing tires in the 500 over on the "Sisters" without a jack (dummy co-pilot had left it at the last tire change alongside the road)

Made a pyramid of rocks under the axle, then dug out under the flat.
It was hard hard stuff, and not an easy task.

We called those nasty critters on the side of the ruts "side-biters"
All racers have experienced that sickening moment when a sidewall is shredded. Luckily I never had both go at the same rock.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 02:17 PM

You are f'ing MacGyver. Bad ass.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Well done!

You gotta have a little Canadian in you my man.

Geoff must have been a follower of Red Green!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh1Hxc3A2LA

[Edited on 3-26-2020 by AKgringo]

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 3-26-2020 at 07:15 AM

Totally impressed! Nice job!

I like beer, better than most people.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
I came to Ensenada Mangle by boat maybe 10-12 years ago.... at that time much of the main house structure was still there (although pushed over). The captain from Loreto, told us a wild story about an Italian doctor that was building the house. The small villas pictured were for guests and staff.
The story went that the doctor had been convicted of his part of a child kidnapping ring...... that harvested organs from the victims for sales on the black market.
After the doctors conviction the military came out and destroyed the partially constructed mansion.
I dont know how true.... but I still tell the story whenever we boat by.

Wow!

The only reference I can find to this area is from book "Off Trail Adventures In Baja California" by geologist Markes Johnson. He visited the area in 1998 when the villas were still under construction. He assumed the place was going to be a hotel.
Quote:
One of those portentous gates that announces your arrival on the outskirts of a grand estate appeared around a curve in the road. [...] On closer inspection, we discovered that the chain could be unraveled and gates swung open to admit our vehicle.

The skeletons of three luxury homes sat at the bottom of die hill near a cobble beach. One was whitewashed and nearly complete with its orange-die roof securely in place, but another was still only half built, roughly shaped with bare concrete blocks. The third showed only the bare outlines of its foundation. Across die draw on the neighboring limestone promontory loomed the hulk of a steel-frame building. Its pretensions as a hotel were proclaimed by an enormous palapa shading a large patio overlooking the sea. Two dogs greeted us, barking excitedly as we drove up to the first dwelling. Soon after, there appeared a thin old fellow, a caretaker, who called off the dogs. His name was Hector. His job was to make sure that construction materials, such as the stockpile of concrete blocks, were not pilfered. On learning that we were harmless geologists, he granted permission to explore the surrounding limestone cliffs. Hector was not very forthcoming, however, in satisfying our curiosity about what sort of outfit was invested in developing the land around El Mangle. We never did come up with answers, even after asking discreetly around town back in Loreto.

-- Geoff

[Edited on 4-4-2020 by geoffff]

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.