Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 06:48 PM

I got SO drunk last night that this morning I was a wishing I was Dead !!:cool:

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 06:53 PM

The reg. flu the CDC estimates from Oct. 1 2019 to March 21 2020 in the US there have been 38,000,000 to 54,000,000 illness and 24,000 to 62,000 deaths. However the big difference between it and the COVID19 is there is no vaccine for the COVID19. It's really apples to oranges to compare until a cure is found. COVID19 could surpass the Flu as time goes by or if a cure is found maybe not.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 07:03 PM

I will not get into arguing numbers here or when the curve is flattening or when it will be over (likely never)

just an indicator - the 4 major manufacturers of ventilators (not GM) plan to crank out about 50,000 ventilators until the end of the year
no, not just for a few months - until the end of the year.

so, our supreme leaders are not expecting this to be over by easter
end of the year?
maybe
probably not

Harald Pietschmann
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 07:10 PM

I think I'm seeing a difference in the rate of new cases the last 2-3 days. The number of cases are not going up exponentially but linearly. The rate must be dropping therefore. This is such a small sample though. Let's see if the trend continues.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I will not get into arguing numbers here or when the curve is flattening or when it will be over (likely never)

just an indicator - the 4 major manufacturers of ventilators (not GM) plan to crank out about 50,000 ventilators until the end of the year

end of the year?
maybe
probably not

Is that 50,000 per vendor? per month? or total? I heard GM was looking at 100,000 but they won't be online till late April or early May.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 11:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

end of the year?
maybe
probably not

Is that 50,000 per vendor? per month? or total? I heard GM was looking at 100,000 but they won't be online till late April or early May.

I will plan to avoid covid-19 pneumonia until june!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 11:46 PM

that is the already increased production of all 4 major producers combined (Drägerwerk, Getinge, Siare, Hamilton Medical)
there hasn't been a big market for those machine - until now

they are extremely complicated and consist of about 1,500 parts
they are difficult to operate as well
the air assistance needs to be fine tuned for every patient
just pumping oxigen enriched air in won't do
pump just a little too much and the patient dies of overinflated lungs
not enough air will kill - too much air will also kill you

lotsa startups around the world are working on inventing a simpler machine

we'll have to see what GM comes up with + how fast + how many

I know from Hamilton Medical, a Swiss company, that they had increased their production after the first news about Corona in December. They had offered about 1,000 in January to the US. US did not want them. No need.

Harald Pietschmann
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 04:19 AM

that is the already increased production of all 4 major producers combined (Drägerwerk, Getinge, Siare, Hamilton Medical)
there hasn't been a big market for those machine - until now

they are extremely complicated and consist of about 1,500 parts
they are difficult to operate as well
the air assistance needs to be fine tuned for every patient
just pumping oxigen enriched air in won't do
pump just a little too much and the patient dies of overinflated lungs
not enough air will kill - too much air will also kill you

lotsa startups around the world are working on inventing a simpler machine

we'll have to see what GM comes up with + how fast + how many

I know from Hamilton Medical, a Swiss company, that they had increased their production after the first news about Corona in December. They had offered about 1,000 in January to the US. US did not want them. No need.

What this really indicates is that within a few months we will have a great opportunity to acquire our own as thousands will be on ebay.

Will there be a demand to store all of the machines not needed during a regular yearly cycle in preparation for the next 'crisis'? Think of that financially...the maintenance of facilities in strategic areas due to fear?

And of course there will be enterprises that develop advanced machines each year to leverage that fear of another 'lack of preparation'. And when the next 'crisis' arises, who wants to be hooked up to an antiquated relic from two years ago, when the guy lying next to them has the newest version of a life saving tool?

There's only one answer to overstock or outdated crap...ebay.

Or maybe donating the pile to needy nations ... I elect Blanca to be our point person for that mission!

[Edited on 3-29-2020 by paranewbi]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 09:40 AM
Those LAST Breaths

Given what statistics I could find indicating a mortality rate for those progressing to "Ventilator dependency" (prior to the COVID-19 situation) at 86 percent ................

It appears that the obsessive concentration on providing said equipment is simply an attempt to temporarily moderate (with false hope ?) the developing (inevitable) hysteria.

Hope may spring eternal, but that "spring" may be just a hole in the Boat

" I don't know where Corona's gonna go, but I do know that I'm a gonna go before it's gone "

On the other hand:

"Excelsior and E Pluribus Unum"

Remember THOSE two words and YOU will get through.

According to NY Gov Andrew Cuomo this a.m. @ 9:30.

So, "Put on a Happy Face"
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 10:48 AM

“Those LAST Breaths

Given what statistics I could find indicating a mortality rate for those progressing to "Ventilator dependency" (prior to the COVID-19 situation) at 86 percent ................

It appears that the obsessive concentration on providing said equipment is simply an attempt to temporarily moderate (with false hope ?) the developing (inevitable) hysteria.”

Yes, you are correct!

A ventilator won’t, by itself cure many of these cases! As your numbers demonstrate! Ventilators are meant to support patients long enough to give other treatments or time a chance. Without an effective treatment the outcomes are not good!

Ventilators made their name saving many from polio (Iron Lungs) and later drug O.D.s in the early ‘70s. Neither of these classes of patients had underlying lung issues. Also in the early 70’s better ventilator technology supported premature infants long enough to allow their lungs to mature enough to function correctly.

Mechanical Ventilation has limited effectiveness treating Pneumonia by itself. In fact the patients treated effectively usually don’t end up on ventilators!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-31-2020 at 02:51 PM

Dumbazzes.
Did a border closure coming south finally happen with the country wide lockdown yesterday?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dozens-of-spring-breakers-...

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2020 at 04:08 PM

Running the Cancun airport gauntlet of time share vendors and dickering with drivers for rides in nice vehicles stolen from the states is stressful enough, now its like this:
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/travelers-woes-symptomat...

Es Todo Bueno
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2020 at 05:11 PM

I see that Baja Sur is up to 18 confirmed cases and two deaths in the La Paz municipality. I believe yesterday was only 11 cases and no deaths. Their curve is going up pretty quickly.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2020 at 05:18 PM

The drivers outright tell you up front, then you as the astute tourist take advantage of something totally out of your control. You then say to self, welcome to Mexico

Es Todo Bueno
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-31-2020 at 06:04 PM

The rational of most thief's in Foreign countries on stealing from American's is " They'll just buy another "

And, on a realistic level, they are correct ...

I'm NOT condoning thievery just food for thought ...........

[Edited on 4-1-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2020 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

The rational of most thief's in Foreign countries on stealing from Americans is " They'll just buy another "

The only problem I have is with the word "just"
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2020 at 08:36 AM

First confirmed case in La Ribera this morning. 52 year old woman.

As per local doctor friend, many cases not being reported in La Paz.

The Seguro Popular is beginning to see an increase of people with symptoms.

Three deaths reported yesterday in La Paz, 28 year old woman, another young woman, and a 58 year old magistrate brought from Los Cabos.

Stay put, stay safe.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2020 at 03:12 PM
cabo virus now in Texas

https://www.newsweek.com/28-texas-spring-breakers-test-posit...
28 TEXAS SPRING BREAKERS TEST POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS AFTER GROUP VACATION TO MEXICO
At least 28 young adults from Texas have tested positive for coronavirus after traveling to Mexico with a group for spring break, officials in Austin and Travis County confirmed.
The Austin Public Health Department on Tuesday confirmed they are "investigating a cluster of positive COVID-19 cases involving a large group returning from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico."
The group of approximately 70 spring breakers in their 20s headed to Mexico in a chartered plane about a week and a half ago. Upon arriving home, 28 members of the group tested positive for coronavirus, with more than a dozen others are under investigation. State officials say four of the positive cases did not display any symptoms.
Newsweek reached out to the Austin Public Health Department for an update.
Local health officials have made contact with every young adult that flew on the chartered plane to ensure they undergo tests and a quarantine period. Some members returned independently on commercial flights. The 28 people who tested positive are also under quarantine.
Spring breakers attend mtvU Spring Break 2014 at the Grand Oasis Hotel on March 21, 2014 in Cancun, Mexico. "mtvU Spring Break" starts airing March 31st on mtvU.LARRY BUSACCA/GETTY
Mexico was not listed under a federal travel advisory when the trip took place, however, officials advised citizens to cancel non-essential travel. The Austin Public Health Department warned citizens from taking similar trips amid the virus pandemic.
"While Mexico at the time of their travel was not under a federal travel advisory, Austin-Travis County residents should follow CDC's travel recommendations indicating travelers avoid all non-essential international travel. A leisure vacation of any kind is not considered essential," the city said.
On Tuesday, Texas confirmed more than 3,000 cases of COVID-19 and 49 deaths. In Austin-Travis County, almost half of all people who have tested positive for COVID-19 are between 20 and 40 years old.
"The virus often hides in the healthy and is given to those who are at grave risk of being hospitalized or dying," Austin-Travis County Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott said. "While younger people have less risk for complications, they are not immune from severe illness and death from COVID-19."
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been hesitant to enforce strict social distancing measures over fears the economy will be adversely affected. But as the virus continued to spread throughout the country, he has issued tougher measures in recent days to combat the outbreak. Monday, Mexico declared a health emergency.
On Tuesday afternoon, more than 180,000 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the U.S., with around 3,780 deaths and over 6,000 recoveries. A large portion of the cases—nearly 76,000—are in New York state.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2020 at 04:44 PM

This is going to be a rough month :(

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-1-2020 at 06:43 PM

Thanks for the laugh, Pacifico.

[Edited on 4-2-2020 by Feathers]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.