Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Free on line books!!! More than 1 million free
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:27 AM
Free on line books!!! More than 1 million free

https://archive.org/

Due to the national crisis the government has opened up access to the free national emergency library, with more than a million titles.

Simple registration, log-in, and you can get access to an amazing source of books and reading material.

You can even up-load your own book onto the site, if you are interested....
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:38 AM

Correction... I just read the item again

It is not 1,000,000+ books

It is 1,000,000,000+ books

More than one BILLION books available free (for 14 days each)
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:45 AM

www.smashwords.com has been my free ebook go to for years now.

I've downloads books while in Mexico and the US so there is no geographic restrictions.

Andy
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 09:58 AM

Great timing. Just got an older Ipad yesterday from my sis. Already loaded American Lion by Meacham from the local library. Looking forward to using it a lot over the summer. Once I figure out which apps to use and how to use them.

I downloaded EPUB, but can't figure out how to use it. Tried the Gutenberg Project which has EPUB downloads, but nothing seemed to happen. Nothing showed up on the EPUB app, or else I don't know how to retrieve it.

The local library uses Libby (?) which seemed to work for borrowing a book from their system. That worked for downloading American Lion.

Have not tried the Apple Books or Amazon Books, it looks like I have to join Prime to get books from Amazon? IDK, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Apple Books seems pretty straightforward, but haven't tried to dowload anything yet.

How does borrowing work? Can I read the books offline after download? What happens at the return date if reading offline?

John

[Edited on 3-27-2020 by John Harper]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 10:07 AM

Audio?
I use audiobooks.cloud and put the files on drive then listen on my phone. Plenty of titles and authors. No cost unless you buy fast downloads. Earbuds work best. Works offline if you preload the drive file to your phone.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 10:25 AM

John, there are no "overdue" books in the on-line library systems
Local libraries usually give you 21 days..
This huge one I have given you has a 14 day limit
When the days are up, the books vaporizes.... just like magic

Yes, once downloaded they are on your device, whether or not you are connected anywhere. Read on the beach, in the mountains, or sitting on the great white throne in your bano.

Audio books? We have Bose Blutooth sets, which work perfectly, much more comfy than earbuds.

Finally, if you have a library card in California (don't know how other states work) you can go to your local library website and determine which e-book system they use. Ours, and most in CA use CL (Cloud Library) a free upload app on the app store. All you need is your card number and the 4 digit password you created. Our librarian always suggests that you use the last 4 digits of your phone to help remember.

And finally, any California resident can get a library card in any Calif county..... but generally only in person. So, if you are so inclined, you can trek about the state and garner 53 different cards, all with their own access to on-line books and audio.

Whew.... any questions???
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Whew.... any questions???

Thank you so much for the information. Carlsbad Library uses "Libby," at least that's the app I have to access their collection with my library card. Did not need a password for that system.

Audio books, they don't do a thing for me. Many years ago a manager gave me some Zig Ziglar (sp) tapes to listen to in my car. That pretty much killed any desire I had to listen to any type of audio speech. I hear too many voices in my head as it is, already way too crowded.

Have great weekend, thanks for the help.

John

[Edited on 3-27-2020 by John Harper]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.