Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Primate Red Blend
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 07:39 AM
Primate Red Blend

Got a shipment of Baja wines from LMA last week and opened the Primate Red Blend. I was at first a bit taken back by the 5 varietals all at 20%, who does that? Normally a winery will play around with the blend ratios until they get a balance they are after; the odds of the best blend being exactly the same is not high.
Maybe these guys started at 1/5 each, tasted and said "That's it!". I couldn't agree more, and I'm writing this the day after so this is not the wine talking. In the "Santiago Wine Indexing" system, this is 'easy drinking' without being flabby or uninteresting. No sharp corners, slightly off flavors or hint of salt that can sometimes be in Guadalupe wine. I have no idea where they are sourcing the fruit.
Enjoy and I will report on the other 5 as we work our way thru the shipment - won't take long as we shelter in place.

resize 1.JPG - 21kB

resize 2.JPG - 50kB

ST patty wine.jpg - 53kB
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 08:46 AM

I'm still not drinking much Mexican wine and it's usually a glass of LA Cetto or Santo Tomas because, well, that's what the restaurants offer by the glass. Some Chilean wines, too.

Of the bottles I have purchased in the last couple years, the wines from Monte Xanic/Calixa are far and away my favorite. But there really are very few Mexican brands available. No "wine boutique" in San Carlos.

But I can tell you (maybe I already did?) that my favorite red blends over the last couple years have been coming from Bogle.

For an everyday drinker, their 2016 Essential Red Blend is possibly my fav of all time.

At a higher price point is their Phantom. Someone brought me down a bottle that Costco was selling. Either the '15 or '16.

Thanks for the info about this LMA wine. BTW, as an ignorant person about most Mexican wines, what does LMA stand for?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 04:02 PM

Thanks for the tip Santiago

LMA = La Mision Associates
Import Broker for wines primarily from the Valle. We have purchased wines from various wineries in the Valle and had them shipped to our offsite wine storage in San Diego. We first heard about LMA when we went to Lechuza and lamented the fact we could not take more then two bottles home to Cali. We ended up getting the wine for about 10% less then what the winery would have to charge. Not all wineries are setup with LMA but it seems more and more are and we make sure and bring them up whenever we visit a new winery.

LMAwines.com

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 12:35 PM

I hadn't been on Nomad for quite a while. It's nice to see the old timers still around talking about important stuff! LOL

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.