Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Camino del Diablo
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 04:27 PM
El Camino del Diablo

We figured if we have to maintain a social distance, a great way to do it was to drive El Camino del Diablo, a 130-mile historic road which runs from south of Ajo, AZ, to near Yuma. Other than the swarms of Border Patrol, and near-overhead aircraft from Luke AFB (Barry Goldwater Range), we we by ourselves.

Conditions were perfect: the Sonoran Desert was green and blooming with spectacular scenery everywhere. And temps were 80º days and 50º nights with light to no wind.

At first night's camp, about 10 miles south of Ajo.

Today, Bandeja Well is solar powered with an electric pump.

Parts of El Camino del Diablo runs within a mile of the international borner. Border Patrol were plentiful. We accidently bumped into two Border Patrol guys at the top of a mountain, with electronics and antennas. They invited us to leave.

Bates Well

Final resting place of Dave O'Neill, a prospector who died of exposure after his burros wandered away, perhaps in 1916. By one report, the two men who buried O'Neill were friends of his, prospectors by trade, and rugged, practical frontiersmen. They divvied up O'Neill's valuables and then covered him with dirt and rocks. A couple weeks later they ran out of tobacco and remembered that they had buried O'Neill's tobacco with him. They returned to the grave and retrieved the tobacco pouch, one reporting that it "chawed just as good as if it had been in my pocket all them two weeks."

It rained a few days prior to our arrival, so there were more than a few muddy spots. For the record, dried Sonoran Desert mud (includes much of Baja) is easier to remove from a truck than dried Mojave Desert mud.

Everything in the desert was happy and blooming. The creosote bush was covered with yellow blooms and new leaves. There were blooming ocotillo the length of the trail -- ditto with the plentiful brittlebrush.

The belly flowers were also blooming.

Christmas Pass

Southeast of Yuma, we bumped into stretches of new construction road for the border wall. We saw lots of large commercial trucks on the road.

A blooming ocotillo at the mouth of Tule Tank Canyon.

Tule Tank

Last night's dinner.

Last night's sunset, near the Fortuna Mine.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 05:07 PM

Always great to see your photos!!

Yeah, you have no normal constitutional rights in the "border zone"
I often go to Baja with a couple of judge friends, and they remind me to keep my cool when confronted with the green migra…..
"There are special rules near the border. You don't have the normal rights that you are accustomed to, so just cool it"
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Always great to see your photos!!

Yeah, you have no normal constitutional rights in the "border zone"
I often go to Baja with a couple of judge friends, and they remind me to keep my cool when confronted with the green migra…..
"There are special rules near the border. You don't have the normal rights that you are accustomed to, so just cool it"

Ahhh ... that 'splains a few things.

At Christmas, I was within a few feet of the border, west of Lukeville. Border Patrol came up and told me I was in a restricted area (there were no signs, no warnings of any kind) and that I had to leave. He left, I took my photos, then left.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 05:27 PM
100 mile "border zone"

First site I found was good old ACLU (not my favorite, but oh well)

Here is what they say about that magical zone of limited rights.....

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 05:50 PM

Wow...
Tule Tank sure looks like Tinaja de Yubay, too!
Enjoying your new Tacoma?
I look forward to future trips we can take our Tacos to!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

winnebago 2

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 05:54 PM

Ujust gave me 5 minutes of bliss. Forgot about all that's going on around us. Spectacular.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2020 at 07:04 PM

Love the pictures, especially the sunset. I've been wanting to do the El Camino del Diablo for some time now. As for as dealing with police, border patrol, customs etc I do what they tell me to do.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 08:37 AM

Gracias!

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 09:04 AM

Outstanding !!

I got the great sense of traveling while I sit here at home.. Muchas Gracias !!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 09:06 AM

I`ve wanted to that road for a while. Did you have to get a permit?
Thanks for the report and pics.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2020 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I`ve wanted to that road for a while. Did you have to get a permit?
Thanks for the report and pics.

Yes we got required permits, but they were never requested by authorities. Additionally, we were required to sign into a book when entering the Goldwater Range, but there was no register available.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2020 at 09:36 PM

Great photos!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.