Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Informative video on pandemic from Korea
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2020 at 09:33 AM
Informative video on pandemic from Korea

From the country that has handled it best to this point, vale la pena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&feature=yout...
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2020 at 11:24 AM

Thank you.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2020 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for posting...interesting and informative!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 07:44 PM

Nice.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 08:33 PM

Thank you, Cancamo. This is really an amazing, informative video. I think a lot of people are confused by partisan politics and are also not trusting news sources these days. S Korea doesn't play by our rules, and it's refreshing to see a completely unbiased, very educated opinion of this situation. Definitely vale la pena. Gracias
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 08:19 AM

Regarding the video, I acquire information much faster by reading text than by watching a video, did not watch the whole thing. I did watch most of it. A couple of takeaways; For one, S. Korea has a much more robust system to track people, to the point where they use cell phone GPS to determine who may have been in contact with an infected person. If the US government did that the ACLU would file a lawsuit claiming privacy violations, which is sort of a joke because US residents enjoy freedoms that most of the world can only dream of and the flabby do nothing government does not have the wherewithal to take such actions anyway. Also in S. Korea much more testing, and everyone wearing mask.

One disturbing bit is that people can recover, then relapse, indicating that immunity is not guaranteed after one infection. I read an interesting article in the NYT that pointed out all infections are dose-dependent, so that if a person is exposed to a small amount of virus they do not get really sick. I would not be surprised if a lot of people have already had it and do not know, because there is no test for the antibodies and many do not show symptoms. Thus, over time, a herd immunity might develop, which might explain the lower rates of death that have been observed recently. However, if re infection is possible this would be moot. More research needed there.

Another point, most fatalities are in older age groups. Under age 40 the death rate only a tenth of a percent, or one out of a thousand infections. Thus in areas with relatively youthful populations e.g. Latin America, Africa the pandemic will not cause as many deaths on a percentage basis. On another note, missed the big rally on wall street, now the question is will there be a double bottom.
Signing out, the old reclusive hermit.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 08:46 AM

Bajaric, I appreciate your input. Regarding a test for antibodies, it does exist, and Stanford has been reported as conducting tests by collecting small blood samples from people suspected to have recovered from the virus.

There is also speculation that the disease has been in the population longer than the break out in January. I am beginning to suspect that they are correct, because I was sick for three weeks with symptoms that mirror Covid19!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:34 AM

Thanks AKGringo. I envy that you have a place in the mother lode country, would love to do a little exploration around there some day, but still have a lot of Baja left to explore. Maybe this pandemic is a little cosmic Karma for the Europeans, who brought disease to the indigenous peoples of the new world. The extinct tribes of Baja Sur might have something to say about it, except they are gone, fini, no mas. Syphilis and then smallpox, along with typhus and malaria killed them all.

In the 1700's there was a crude vaccine for smallpox that actually involved stabbing people with a tiny little bit of live virus (!!) and it was effective because the dose was so small it usually created immunity without killing the patient. The Dominicans are said to have attempted to use the vaccination but it came to late to save the Indians.

I had a kind of crappy feeling coughing spell a month ago, wonder if that was corona.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.