Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Mulege/San Ignacio accommodations
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 02:11 PM

Alfonsina's is about 100 miles before San Felipe. Good news on the gas sales.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Deerko  
I have friends that left Loreto yesterday and went straight to San Felipe and got a room at Alphonsinas (?). They tried every place in G N it’s no luck. 11 hours Loreto to San Felipe. Clear roads and no problems with gas.

Good info here, and thanks. I'm iron butting LP/Ignacio/Frontera in 2 days and will keep all of you posted when i have a chance once across
Deerko

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 03:50 PM

I stand corrected, my friends stayed at the Sand Dollar and they had a reservation and were the only ones there. Kiki said they would be open for anyone heading north.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Deerko  
I stand corrected, my friends stayed at the Sand Dollar and they had a reservation and were the only ones there. Kiki said they would be open for anyone heading north.

This is the problem I'm seeing here the times I have gone into or thru town, national close down and stay at home order that nobody is adhering to. Not gonna work out well in the long run.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

This is the problem I'm seeing here the times I have gone into or thru town, national close down and stay at home order that nobody is adhering to.

Not very important but stay home (unless it's necessary to go) is a state-by-state, not national. In Baja only non-essential businesses were ordered to close - this "might" include hotels in tourist areas, though without tourists they are not getting much business anyway. Restaurants can still deliver.

[Edited on 4-10-2020 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  

As an aside, sometimes it is easier to make a decision about not going when you live here as PRs. Some of us dont have that luxury and believe me, are not relishing having to travel...many have no choice.

Yeah. The luxury of having emergency care always available under Medicare Part 1, as opposed to Canadian plan expiring after 7 months out of country. Canadian expats also lose a good chunk of social pension.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Not very important but stay home (unless it's necessary to go) is a state-by-state, not national. In Baja only non-essential businesses were ordered to close - this "might" include hotels in tourist areas...

Seems kind of national to me.

U. S. Embassy Health Alert 08 April 2020

CCSMexicoCity@state.gov

Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Mexico City - COVID-19 Update (April 8, 2020)

Event: Mexico COVID-19 Update (April 8, 2020)

International commercial flight options currently exist in Mexico. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Mexico at this time.

The Mexican government declared a national health emergency on March 30 and imposed restrictions on non-essential activities in the public, private, and social sectors until April 30. Essential activities include medical services and supplies, grocery delivery services and stores, restaurants (for delivery and carry out only), public safety, fundamental economic functions, government social programs, and critical infrastructure. Schools in Mexico are also closed until April 30. Health authorities in Mexico are discouraging visitors from traveling to Mexico over Holy Week (Semana Santa). For more details and for information on state and municipal restrictions, please visit our COVID-19 webpage.

On April 3, Mexican Tourism and Health officials instructed hotels to cancel new and existing reservations and close for non-essential business. All accommodation services, including hotels, hostels, online platforms, and travel agencies will cease receiving reservations and will reschedule all reservations. Guests that require accommodation due to essential business activities are permitted to stay in hotels with a maximum occupancy of 15 percent. Non-resident foreign citizens currently in hotel accommodation must begin the process of returning home immediately. If a person starts showing respiratory symptoms, health authorities must be notified immediately. As a reminder, the U.S. government does not pay for lodging or other expenses incurred due to travel disruptions abroad.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 10:12 AM

Stay-home orders are local, by state. Though health emergency is a national problem.

Hotels are not ordered to close, foreign tourists "must" get out, locally this is likely implemented depending on a town and hotel. Is one-night stop on the way North a part of getting out? :)... Most Mexicans will obey these instructions, being scared for a good reason.

Commercial flights from Mexico to the US (and to Canada) are still on. Though I see the number of flights from Baja has been reduced.

All in all, returning home now from Baja is a pain rather than impossibility. Could be riskier yet than staying put, depends on where you are.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 02:09 PM

hotels in bcs are ordered to close...
that means NO GUESTS april 6th to April 30

it doesn't depend on the town and hotel as stated

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 02:26 PM

Best of Luck 52. I would like to know how you made out too.

If I was in your spot , and could take the time and logistics of sheltering in place - outside of a city or town - I might give it a try.

Curious how others might try, would be a good exercise in being self reliant and see how body and mind could take it.

Load up with supplies and go off road so you will not use any other local resources. What would your bug out shopping list look like for 30 days?
No Class C accommodations , a vehicle and thats it.

A modern naked and afraid episode without the naked part or an opposite sex partner.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 09:56 AM

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to load up a couple gallons of drinking water and snacks/food for two to three days. Sleep in your car, you know the drill. On talk Baja peeps are indicating drive is okay, borders open and unogged, a few gas stations are closed so make sure you are fueled by Vizcaino or GN to make the gap.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

What would your bug out shopping list look like for 30 days?
No Class C accommodations , a vehicle and thats it.

Shouldn't take more 3 days/2 nights from La Paz to the US border. 6-8 days to places close to Can/US border, incidentally this is where most Canadians live.

Living out of truck with canopy for a couple of weeks is no big deal. Backpacking stove, non-perishables like grains and canned meat/fish, sleeping bag and foam pad. The biggest issue is that the nights are still cold in Canada and most of the US.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 12:55 PM

You'll find out soon enough, but a trip last week to San Diego area revealed that ALL restrooms, even at gas stations, are closed. All the places you would ordinarily go - Jack in the Box, gas station, supermarket, pharmacy. Most had a sign up that said closed by law. Even some roadside rest areas are closed. So... take TP and plan on a roadside stop when you are out of town. Whether this will be true for the full length of California, I don't know.

Is seemed the message was "If you need a bathroom, go home". Fine if you don't need to pee... or are hours or days away from home.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 05:21 PM

Now that is a brilliant way to get folks to stay home! No bathrooms is serious.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 05:28 PM

and uncomfortable!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
a trip last week to San Diego area revealed that ALL restrooms, even at gas stations, are closed. All the places you would ordinarily go - Jack in the Box, gas station, supermarket, pharmacy.

Cruel. Though, people going to Canada usually cross from the border to somewhere in North Ca in one day and only stop to fill the tank. Rest stops should be open. And just look at all those farmlands along the Hwy 5...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 06:12 PM

Finding a place to pee is not the number one problem...number two is the number one problem!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 06:38 PM

Nothing that a 5 gallon bucket, tall kitchen trash bag and a cut piece of pipe foam insulation can't handle...

I ALWAYS have that set-up in my rig for "emergencies"

The bucket also serves as a storage unit for various things..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2020 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
...number two is the number one problem!

Don't eat cr-ap in roadside eateries and you won't have to dump it too often or suddenly.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2020 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Nothing that a 5 gallon bucket, tall kitchen trash bag and a cut piece of pipe foam insulation can't handle...

I ALWAYS have that set-up in my rig for "emergencies"

The bucket also serves as a storage unit for various things..

ahh the 5 gal bucket , just a few spots down from the wheel for usefulness.
Yours will do the job.
However in this scenario I was more thinking being low impact on the land and resources and if you'd have to stay holed up in a remote spot for a while. Baja is 98% uninhabited so a shovel would be key. A nice poem I came across as a reminder for the points to hit.

Squat in a spot where the sun does shine

80 paces from water where the crick don't creek

Dig a hole 15~20cm deep so your logs don't peek

Far from the trail so the chit won't stink
==================================

The squat has more benefits than you might think.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.