Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For Pompano
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 09:57 PM
For Pompano

Hola from San Diego,

I wanted to ask you if John is back in town from his trip up north. I wanted to call or e-mail him before I get to Mulege April 7th. Thanks for an update and I hope that you are surviving the Semana Santa invasion!! Also if you can confirm John's e-mail for me that would be great too if you know it or he can tell you. Is it still the prodigy address??

Gracias Pompano and see ya muy pronto in Mulege!!

Lindsay :D
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 10:21 PM

Pompano Sharksbaja left something here for you.
:saint:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 04:37 AM
hola Lindsay..

Have a good trip coming back, Lindsay...and be careful out there, lots of traffic to look out for at Eastertime Madness.

John is indeed back and I just talked to him the other day. OBJ's address is still the same as ever at prodigy.net. I will U2U it to you now. I'll probably see him this morning, I expect, when I'm out fishing with the fleet and will give him your hellos and ETA Mulege. Bien viaje y hasta pronto.

Thanks again, Bruce...I got the message.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 08:28 AM
Gracias for the update

Good to hear from you and I will either e-mail or call him over the weekend. I'm flying down via AeroMex to Loreto on April 7th so by then the Semana Santa crowds will have cleared out!! My daughter Sara and I will be staying with her Mulege relatives the first few nights but then will be John's neighbors at Maribel's duplex for the rest of the week. Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

Take care and have a great weekend!!

Lindsay
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 08:41 AM

Pompano, did you ever get a chance to show the two photos taken in Feb. 1966 to Jorge? He may be the last surviving member of that Gardner trip that found the old wall and building site... Many thanks... Lindsay, thank you also for talking with Ricardo before. The photos from Desert Magazine shows Bruce Barron at the site. I have interviewed Choral Pepper, Jesus Flores*, Bruce Barron, Ricardo Castillo, and J.W. Black so far. None could give me directions or any clues better than what Choral originally told me before she passed away. Jorge Yee was the youngest person there... so maybe my last hope? I think they found the site the day after they went to Las Animas to get clams. I am looking just for some clues... like was it after a full day's drive from Animas... or how long before they reached El Barril... Was it near the road they built? *hired him to guide us there in 2001 (but took us somewhere else). Many thanks guys!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 06:50 PM
Will do, David...

Just read this and I will look up Jorge and show him the pics and ask what he can remember. Hope he can help your quest...bueno suerte!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 09:52 PM

Hola Pompano,
Just sent John an e-mail and told him how your great posts, photos and kind messenger in Mulege service is appreciated by me.

Enjoy your weekend and how are the water temps in the Baja??...less than two weeks to go until the trip...the Baja fever begins to set in!!

Hasta pronto,

Lindsay

P.S. David enjoyed your message and Jorge's youth compared to the others may offer some clues for you. Best of luck!!:bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 10:51 PM

Thanks very much!

For those who are wondering what I am after... In Feb. 1966, Erle Stanley Gardner (creator of Perry Mason, and author of many mystery, desert exploration, and Baja adventure books) and his team opened the first road south from Bahia de los Angeles to El Barril and San Francisquito, beyond the ranch of Jesus Flores (Los Paredones). They visited Bahia Las Animas and collected clams before pushing through the virgen land. Perhaps the second day out, while exploring the surrounding area from their camp, the wall was discovered and seemed to have no purpose. It originated at a natural dam where some palm logs were laying along with a seedling palm. The wall was coated with desert varnish indicating some great age since the rocks were moved to build it. It climbs a hill from the dam/ tinaja, at the top of which were sleeping circles, clam shells (far from coast), and what may have been the outline of a fort or ??

After that Feb. 1966 trip, Choral Pepper (editor of Desert Magazine) did some research and came to the belief that this was the siteof a proposed mission that was started but never completed... shown on the 1757 Jesuit map in this general region and named Santa Maria Magdalena.

Perhaps the spring that once fed those palm trees had dried up or the Jesuits abandoned the coastal or Gulfo Camino Real route to Sonora and built San Borja instead.

Not really a lost mission, but very likely a mission era construction that I would like to rediscover. Choral Pepper was very hopeful that I would find it... She had a great desire to go back there, but could not get near on her last trip to Baja.

The trip when the discovery occured was documented in Gardner's 1967 'Off the Beaten Track in Baja', but wasn't mentioned to preserve the site for official historians to survey. Choral told the story in her 1973 Baja missions and legends book. I printed the revised chapter in the Nomad Historic Interests forum...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.