Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Took the dog to the lake for a few days
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

BUT it's still hard to imagine the level of carelessness and 'cluelessness' that results in someone shooting themselves or someone else unintentionally. I've never been able to picture the sequence in which a "cleaning" results in a shooting. Obviously, it's a LOT different than any cleaning that I've ever done.

The sad thing is over the years, I've read of more cops killing themselves "cleaning" their weapon, or discharging it "accidentally." Unless it's suicide being covered up?

Even experts make mistakes, it only takes one time. My dad almost made a fatal mistake one day out hunting, and I never, ever let him forget it. Ever.

Even though I have a Colt .45 Auto, I'd prefer to use a revolver for home defense and outdoors activity. Simple, safe, and foolproof. Currently my Colt Detective Special .38 fills that home/personal defense role. Just want a little more horsepower for bear country and/or hunting.

John

[Edited on 4-12-2020 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 02:40 PM

Never been a gun guy. Always in a group when offloading.

But yesterday I was out in the middle of no where by myself. A car went by. Kinda spooked me and might be changing my tune on having a gun.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 02:57 PM

I've had guns, shotguns and rifles, that I keep for other people but I've never owned a gun. I've hunted with a shotgun when I was young and I've shot other peoples hand guns including a 44 magnum. That gun destroyed all I thought about cowboy movies and TV shows or anywhere that bullets are bouncing off walls and wood fences. If you are shot at with that gun you are not safe behind anything except maybe a ten foot thick concrete wall.

I lined up two concrete blocks end to end with cans in holes and the bullet went thru it all.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

But yesterday I was out in the middle of no where by myself. A car went by. Kinda spooked me and might be changing my tune on having a gun.

Look at a Taurus, Ruger, or Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum. You can shoot .38 Special in them too, more economical practice rounds.

Revolvers are safest and foolproof, no racking the slide or worrying about the safety being on at the wrong time when you are threatened. Just pull the trigger and BOOM.

I'm looking at a Taurus Model 66 with 4" barrel. I don't like the looks of the Ruger, and a Smith is too nice (and expensive) for backcountry abuse. Taurus seems to have quite good reviews, probably $500 OTD.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've had guns, shotguns and rifles, that I keep for other people but I've never owned a gun. I've hunted with a shotgun when I was young and I've shot other peoples hand guns including a 44 magnum. That gun destroyed all I thought about cowboy movies and TV shows or anywhere that bullets are bouncing off walls and wood fences. If you are shot at with that gun you are not safe behind anything except maybe a ten foot thick concrete wall.

I lined up two concrete blocks end to end with cans in holes and the bullet went thru it all.

Yes, that's what I love best about my .44 Magnum. It's magic. Few people really appreciate them. Literally, a hand cannon.

John
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 03:49 PM

Appreciate the simplicity of a revolver and carried a Colt 4” as LE. Time moved on and semi-autos just aren’t accident prone. Maybe in the wrong hands.

Knife: SOG Flash ll.
Sidearms: Beretta 92FS or SIG Sauer P226.

Soon moving into a Glock 17.

15 rounds double stack and one in the chamber. When fire superiority is of the essence. Revolvers just can’t compete. There’s a reason LE and military use the arms I have.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
15 rounds double stack and one in the chamber. When fire superiority is of the essence. Revolvers just can’t compete. There’s a reason LE and military use the arms I have.

Yes, and every LE shootout I read about involves tens, or even hundreds of rounds. Few of which hit anything at all. Just trigger happy cops. I'll bet marksmanship was a lot more important when you carried a revolver. And control under fire, not "spray and pray."

I'm talking personal defense, within 7 yards. You certainly don't need 15 rounds. LE and military have different missions than your average Joe confronting a home break in. One or two shots at most.

If the Zombie Apocalypse arrives, I've got a couple AR's with 30 round mags for that. But, it probably won't ever happen.

Of course, this is just my opinion. YMMV. I'm not shooting at anything I don't plan to kill, and that should happen with the first shot.

John

[Edited on 4-13-2020 by John Harper]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 04:10 PM
Making BIG Holes

I've never owned or shot a .44 Special or Magnum. While I have two .357 Magnums, for "on the road" defense, I used to carry a (45ACP) series 70 M1911. No problem in the car or the motel, but problematic to conceal on the body. Next to impossible summertime. The wife bought me an AMT Backup in .45ACP. Smallest at that time in that caliber. DAO with a HEAVY trigger pull. I read at the time it was measured new at 23 lbs. BIG downside is the tendency for a feed jam on anything other than Jacketed-Ball rounds.

I still keep the Colt handy at night (along with a 12-guage Mossberg pump in the bedroom closet), but usually it's one of my .380s or a 9mm traveling. Less stopping power (way less with the .380), but (hopefully) up to the task should it arise.

Thirty+ years ago, I bought the wife a .380 Beretta, but she was never comfortable with the semi-auto. She now has has a 5-shot Rossi .38Spl 4-inch bbl. Lightweight, simple. Whether or not she'd use it ...........Quien Sabe ?

I have my doubts.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 04:23 PM

Took the dog to the lake. What a stupidly bizarre derailment. You all must be some paranoid mofos.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 04:44 PM

Hey, Dogs and guns often go hand in hand together .....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 05:08 PM

So do dogs and bunz. And gunz and little wieners.

[Edited on 4-13-2020 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 05:19 PM
Took my dog to the lake today...and a 9mm!

Actually it was a pond (my pond). My neighbor just bought a Ruger LC9, and wanted to try it out. I have a lot of secluded land with a safe back stop to fire into, so we burned up some ammo!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 06:16 PM

A gun is a great equalizer and gives peace of mind. It is very comforting having a CCW. Last thing I want to do is shoot someone, but wouldn't hesitate if it came down to my safety or my family's safety. With all the craziness in this world, I have just never wanted to be a sitting duck.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
What a stupidly bizarre derailment. You all must be some paranoid mofos.

Well, no one put a gun to your head to read, or comment. But, lots of us could, apparently.

John
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
So do dogs and bunz. And gunz and little wieners.

[Edited on 4-13-2020 by bajabuddha]

I’ve heard that said before and wonder if that is from first hand experience? 😁
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

A gun is a great equalizer and gives peace of mind. It is very comforting having a CCW. Last thing I want to do is shoot someone, but wouldn't hesitate if it came down to my safety or my family's safety. With all the craziness in this world, I have just never wanted to be a sitting duck.

Well stated. I think it is risky to roam around remote areas with no protection or options and hoping the law of averages will cover you.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2020 at 04:55 AM

I came to a conclusion when confronted by 3 men while my wife and I were in Mexico. Two had guns, a revolver and an auto, the guy with the auto racked it when he came up behind me. They wanted money and the keys to the bikes on the back of our RV.

When one of them made a motion that indicated he wanted get with my wife I said no. The knife he had in his hand came at my neck and I instinctively raised my hand which was stabbed through with the knife. They all looked at each other and ran off with what they had. I suspected they realized I wasn't going chicken and they were not intent on killing me. That's when I learned something.

I now realize there's mostly a basic difference between them with a gun and me, if I had a firearm at my disposal. They would use their weapons to instill fear to gain what they wanted...I would use my gun to kill. No doubt. That's a big difference in men who wield guns...intent. If you carry a firearm for defense you have better realize you carry it to kill, I do. And I have no problem knowing that 100% I would have killed those men. Otherwise there's no reason for me to have one, because if I didn't have that certainty, I would be dead.

It's how men train to derail the intent of those who would rob, rape, or cause mayhem. I don't care how big your firearm is, it's how you train to use it and I don't need to blow up cinder blocks. I train to shoot the head and heart, not body mass. I have great intent to not miss with the first shot whether it a 22 or a 308.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2020 at 09:32 AM

i have lots of guns. sadly none here in Mexico. i have recently received my permanent residence status. i assume this means i can apply for a permit? any info on this?
oddly, i find many aspects of gun culture repellent.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-13-2020 at 10:01 AM
Assumptions, Actions and Results

Should a competent armed (and mentally prepared) individual find themselves in a threatening defensive encounter which devolves into a survival situation he has a significant edge. Should that encounter be resolved without weapons use, it's simply a great story to tell later.

An unarmed individual encountering even unarmed miscreants willing and/or intending physical/deadly harm is at a decided greater disadvantage and likely to become a bleeding-out victim.

It seems that those who proffer the notion that an armed individual "might" be at a greater disadvantage are simply engaging in "Transference". Reflecting and extending their own insecurities and inadequacies onto others.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2020 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have lots of guns. sadly none here in Mexico. i have recently received my permanent residence status. i assume this means i can apply for a permit? any info on this?
oddly, i find many aspects of gun culture repellent.

It seems the most I have witnessed in Mexico are of the 22 rifle order, at least as far as locals go. Most were hunting squirrels.

They are more along the lines of why I own...not for a reason, for a purpose.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.