Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Drive or fly - Cabo to San Diego
gilman

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 03:26 PM
Drive or fly - Cabo to San Diego

Long time reader first time poster... thanks to the community here for helping answer any questions I have had in the past about Baja travel! My wife, our two dogs, and I have been down in Cabo San Lucas since mid January (ah the world seemed so normal) when we drove down to Cabo from Orange County, CA over a week.

We have decided to head back north back home for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, as there are no hotels or air bnb options available we would need to drive at night which is something we avoid normally. Personally, I would rather drive than fly but figured I would be smart to ask for travel advice here.

Any input would be appreciated... thank you in advance.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 03:38 PM

Can't get through Comondu. Stopping people from Cabo and turning them back. From Bob Hoyt yesterday.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gilman  
Unfortunately, as there are no hotels or air bnb options available we would need to drive at night

why would you have to drive at night?

sleep in your car. sleep under the stars. lots of safe places to pull over and sleep.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gilman

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 03:40 PM

Ok then... flying is the way. Thank you once again for your Nomadic advice...
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:05 PM

I would drive. Flying almost guarantees getting the virus. They are not going to stop gringos heading home but there might not be room at the inn.:light:
gilman

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:07 PM

If they are turning people around at checkpoints then it seems flying is the way to go. Would be super bad situation to head out and be turned back somewhere along the way...
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gilman  
If they are turning people around at checkpoints then it seems flying is the way to go. Would be super bad situation to head out and be turned back somewhere along the way...

Pick your poison.
gilman

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:17 PM

Agreed on both options being poison to some extent. One option doesn’t have a chance of having to turn back though so it seems like the best of the two for sure.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:44 PM

Have you been in contact with the airline to see if they are going to be able to accommodate your dogs?

I don't envy your decision, a lot of stuff has to happen just right in a short amount of time!

I mentioned in another thread that a concern of mine would be a reliable supply of gasoline all the way to the border, assuming you could get through or around all checkpoints.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
Can't get through Comondu. Stopping people from Cabo and turning them back. From Bob Hoyt yesterday.

Unless there is a Comondu I'm not aware of the only one I know is not on the way north on hwy 19 or hwy 1. It's north of San Javier toward La Purisima.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 05:55 PM

I am pretty sure the Comondu municipality includes Ciudad Constitution.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 06:33 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/MBf3rA21WbrYw8dd7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comond%C3%BA_Municipality

It does include Ciudad Constitución.

If you - for some reason - choose to drive at night... and I don't know what other traffic is still regularly on the highway - if possible, follow a truck or bus if you need to drive at night would be something to take into consideration. fyi

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 07:19 PM

Mula,
So what you, or Mr. Hoyt, are reporting is Highway 1, the transpenuinsular, is closed northbound, south of Cuidad Constitucion?

Please clarify.

Comondu is the Municipio that includes Constitucion, as well as the town of Comondu.
I could easily see Comondu shuting down to visitors, one decent road in and out. I doubt they would shut down the main artery of the state.
Thanks in advance for confirmation.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 08:14 PM

Drive it for sure. Bet you will find some hotels open.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 08:55 PM

Are the buses running to TJ?

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 12:57 AM

I would fly, if it were us. But the issue would indeed be the dogs. Good question about the buses, I will try to find out.

I heard that the air in an airplane is completely changed every 3 minutes, making it safe. I have no idea if that is correct, just repeating what I read somewhere.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 05:15 AM

Fly...it's a few hours. IF you have pre-existing conditions that make you vulnerable than reconsider your options.

Otherwise just be prudent in your position. Wear masks, pick a seat away from others (probably not a full flight). Try to bring some sort of cloth or liquid sanitizer and don't touch your face. Just be prudent.

100% chance your going to die...guaranteed. 2% or less chance you'll die of Covid. Fear is a prison you build for yourself. Be prudent and act in ways that mitigate dangers for yourself and others in every thing you do. Mask, proximity to others and sanitizer.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 05:28 AM

DO NOT travel till at least after April 30th

There is a stay at home order

You are the problem if you travel

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 06:08 AM

Contrary to popular belief...people are still flying.

A call went out recently to Nurses (at least where my wife works as such) to be compensated $10,000 a week for a 3 week contract to work in New York.

Drive there? Quarantine for 14 days after arriving? No such caveats.

Not all nurses who work in San Diego, live in San Diego, there are plenty of nurses who reside outside the state and fly in on a regular basis to work a 3 day shift or back to back 3 day shifts depending on their contract and then fly home. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

And the truth is... not only nurses are flying. Right now as we huddle in fear.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2020 at 08:55 AM

Drive. gasoline is essential so gas stations will be open. sleep in your car or under the stars.

Discover Baja: UPDATED April 6, 2020:

On March 21, 2020, the U.S.-Mexico land borders began temporarily restricting non-essential travel to help stop the spread of COVID-19. These restrictions will be in effect at least through April 20, 2020. U.S. citizens and permanent citizens will still be allowed back into the U.S. from Mexico during this time. We have heard multiple stories about Canadians being allowed to cross into the U.S. from Mexico as well.

Beginning April 5, 2020 some of the California/Baja land borders started operating on reduced hours. San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, and Calexico West borders are still be open 24 hours. The PedWest crossing is closed for pedestrian crossings in both directions but PedEast remains open. Tecate is open from 5am-2pm daily (northbound and southbound) and Calexico East is open from 6am-10pm (northbound and southbound). The Andrade crossing is open 6am-2pm (northbound and southbound). For more information see the CBP announcement.

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has urged everyone in Mexico to stay at home. The U.S. State Department has urged all U.S. Citizens abroad to come home to the U.S. or to be prepared to remain where they are for an indefinite period of time. U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Chris Landau, has urged U.S. tourists to head home to the U.S. and for U.S. citizens who are residents in Mexico to consider their own risk profile and possible medical needs while deciding whether to remain in Mexico or return to the U.S.

Hotels, resorts, time shares, and home rentals throughout Mexico closed April 5, 2020 and will remain closed through at least April 30, 2020.

The state of Baja California (norte) is now officially closed to all non-essential activities as of March 31, 2020. The military and police will be restricting movement on public roads except for essential workers or those seeking essential services. Groceries, pharmacies, and hospitals remain open.

Los Cabos and the state of Baja California Sur have closed all beaches and non-essential businesses. People are being told to stay at home. All nautical operations, including sportfishing, are currently prohibited.

For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call 55-8526-2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.