Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mulege muni closing Highway 1 to non-essential traffic
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 06:00 AM

Those are raw numbers not percentages. That information is useless for anything other than a census of what's going on in San Diego. Of course the numbers for the elderly are small. There are fewer of them around. People want to know the likelihood of what will happen in their own age bracket. That was the original reference in this thread.

So you presented inappropriate data and came up with the wrong conclusions. If this was a homework assignment most any teachers would give you a D. D for dumb, which is how you strike me.

Also, those numbers are cases, not deaths. We're talking about survival rate (deaths/cases per age group).

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by Skipjack Joe]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 06:53 AM

I thought us "baby boomers" (aka "elderly") were a big % of the population here? I joined Nomad when I was in my 40s, now I am 62... that is my age bracket and I don't think I am alone here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 07:01 AM

Quote "We're talking about survival rate (deaths/cases per age group)"

Actually, we were talking about highway 1 through Mulege being closed. Can we please stay on topic?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 07:04 AM

Here's how it's not so fearful skip...

The number of people in SD that are 80+ and have C19 is nill compared to the total number of population (which DK observes seems to have a high percentage of us oldies).

Deducing the nill as if even being accountable for all of the reported 44 deaths (my wife a covid nurse says nada to that) makes the percentage high for those known cases...not for the population.

The TOTAL number of deaths out of 1600+ is only about 2% in my town, not the 14+% for over 80's in China.

So logic implies that 44 deaths (ok, rising) amongst 3 million people from C19 is not one of the greatest concerns in this town...financial ruin from panic based on those numbers is and THAT is dumb.

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by paranewbi]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 07:51 AM

Paranewbi,

You've got 44 deaths per 1693 cases. There is no data on how that breaks down by age. Even if there was, the sample size is too small. That's why WHO and virtually every news outlet (BBC, NBC, you name it) is using the data from China. They went through it first with 80,000 cases and did the stats.

Don't believe the data from China? Do you believe the data from CDC?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

"This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years."

Regarding this being off topic:
This topic is about closing hwy 1 to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Then somebody posted not to worry, the stats show the likelihood of dying is very small. Which I corrected by giving the stats on death for the elderly, which are pretty high. Then we went off on to China ...
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 08:03 AM

OH I GET IT... Only considering deaths among those over 80!!

Pretty much a given, since most ALL deaths occur as a higher percentage for ALL who are over 80

The number from covid is still nill.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 08:28 AM

Every day I live over 80 (if I make that far) would be either a gift or a travesty... either way, they are bonus years. Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die? Just wondering for conversation, not argument, ok? How many people over 80 die from the flu every year?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 08:29 AM

The real point of the counter statistics to what is presented by others is that fear based on sensationalism gives birth the vigilantism. That is what seems to be occurring in some of the towns in Mexico (Mexicodailynews.com)

Where I live there is no road blockages, closed access to communities or limit of travel by police action. Yes beaches, parks, etc., but that is ridiculous because hundreds line up at local stores before opening hours spaced by a shopping cart.

Why does Baja residents think it should be so different down there? Fear.

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by paranewbi]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll ask you that question when you reach 80.

I don't know if you've been following the news but that's why all the sacrifices are being made for. For the grandparents. Those college kids in Florida were not shamed because they were infected but because of those who they were going to infect. And even if you make it it's not like you're on your feet up and rosy again. You're sick for weeks, months. If you survive and you're old you could never be the same again.

So what do you propose? That we do nothing because we're under 80 and they should die anyway? So the world is crazy going through all this for nothing. Their judgment is wrong. Nations are tanking their economies uselessly. Kids should be sent to school to infect one another.

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

The number from covid is still nill.

I don't even understand this.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 09:22 AM

There is also the problem of medical service. Those people are worn to a frazzle. Many work shifts round the clock. There just aren't enough personnel to handle the seriously ill whether they survive or not. What would happen if you did nothing as you suggest? Who is going to administer help to the onslaught of patients such a move would produce? I mean, you have to consider the consequences when you make such proposals.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll ask you that question when you reach 80.

I don't know if you've been following the news but that's why all the sacrifices are being made for. For the grandparents. Those college kids in Florida were not shamed because they were infected but because of those who they were going to infect. And even if you make it it's not like you're on your feet up and rosy again. You're sick for weeks, months. If you survive and you're old you could never be the same again.

So what do you propose? That we do nothing because we're under 80 and they should die anyway? So the world is crazy going through all this for nothing. Their judgment is wrong. Nations are tanking their economies uselessly. Kids should be sent to school to infect one another.

I don't even understand this.

You cherry picked my reply, why? I didn't want to argue about it. I had questions, you missed...

Now, if you are going to quote me, leave the quote as it was:

Every day I live over 80 (if I make that far) would be either a gift or a travesty... either way, they are bonus years. Why are we making any deal at all about virus deaths at an age when it is normal to die? Just wondering for conversation, not argument, ok? How many people over 80 die from the flu every year?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 09:45 AM

Igor,
You have had some experience with termites. Nasty little buggers that can ruin a great place if left to their design....likely not very smart.....but operating in a pre-programmed way.

Don't know if you got the termite issue resolved, but believe using logic with them was a waste of time and effort (as passionate as your wishes were).....

One Nomad has a sig line saying something about how trying to teach pigs to sing is a frustrating activity .... :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 10:35 AM

You cherry picked my reply, why? I didn't want to argue about it. I had questions, you missed...

Now, if you are going to quote me, leave the quote as it was:

Ok, I thought the idea that we should ignore this because these people are a small percentage of the population was central to your argument. But apparently your intention was to direct this to the flu numbers.

You are comparing treated flu numbers to treated (self isolation) coronavirus numbers. But then you're recommending that coronavirus be ignored. So then what would be the numbers be if the pandemic were to run rampant, for those are the numbers you are suggesting we have? There were projections for such things. I believe the number given was 2.5 million deaths in the US. That's the number you should be comparing to. But as mentioned before. The health system in this country is prepared to handle the flu cases we get. Every grocery store now gives free flu shots. The system would just be overwhelmed with corona patients. Have you seen the videos from Italy? Even New York. There are beds in Central Park. And that's with a lockdown.

The other thing to consider is the seriousness of corona with flu. We are exposed to the flu year after year after year. Are bodies know what's coming. Coronavirus is similar, in my opinion, to what happened to Native Americans when exposed to smallpox in the 19th century. They died like flies. They had no self immunity and it just destroyed entire villages. We're in the same boat now. Things escalate really fast.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 12:25 PM

SO? Is Mulege flocking closed or flocking not?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
SO? Is Mulege flocking closed or flocking not?

Bought food and beer in town yesterday morning. The Bahia Concepcion beaches are beautifully empty. We visited a couple in my 14-foot aluminum motorboat yesterday afternoon. It was a bit windy and choppy, but sunny and warm. The water temp is swimable.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 02:35 PM

I read today from both north and south bloques that they are allowing thru traffic to pass. Both are from the horse's mouth. Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead. Time to shoot this horse. For all those trying to head north, including myself, decision time is here. My truck is almost packed. A little advice to those smug naysayers: blend up a quart of Maggies and retire to your little Paraiso. God willing, we Nomads will be back this fall. Holding onto the joystick and heading to the LZ. My best to everyone staying behind, wish I was one of you.
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 02:42 PM

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2930343080331728?view=permalin...

I am only hoping this works. Baja Talks, but also another member talking to Federal Policia at GN.

This really is a time to start pulling together, help and support each other to get through this SS as members of a common species. I believe when you see the positive side of this, you will see mother earth finally taking charge and telling us to give our heads a shake and start living responsible lives learning how to be good stewards of her and each other. We've done so much disservice to this orb in such a short time in the name of Me and Gluttony. Time to Get Back To The Basics of Life....

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by 23S52N]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.