Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: From Calexico to Cabo
ChrisandSandy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 12:24 PM
From Calexico to Cabo

Hello,
First time here. I was (tentatively) planning a motorcycle trip from Calexico to Cabo in October...Route 5, and then Route 1.
Has anyone done this? I was wondering if 3 days is sufficient time as I was planning to meet my wife (who will fly in) in Cabo.

Any information would be great.
Thanks!
-Chris
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 01:03 PM

Yes, it can be done. What is the mileage range on your bike?

Do you have tentative stopping points?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisandSandy  

Has anyone done this? I was wondering if 3 days is sufficient time

Road is paved and well-traveled, countless motorcycles,trucks, cars, etc. do it every year. It’s a regular road.

Is 3 days enough? Ya. But it’s a long ride, and 3 day trip won’t leave you much time to see anything along the way. If time is short, then fly.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 01:42 PM

It is possible, but why zip through the best of Baja to just go to 'that place' at the tip? All I am saying is that there is so much beauty and wonder along the 1,000 miles to Cabo, you should try to enjoy it if this is your first time. Going to Cabo and saying you've been to Baja is like going to Las Vegas and saying you've been to America. Cabo can be fun, but it is pretty much all of what the rest of Baja is not.

So, what time can you be at Calexico to cross... as this will determine where you will get on the first day? If early, then you can easily make it halfway down, San Ignacio (stay at La Huerta, just past the mission/ town plaza). If not early, then there are many choices at Guerrero Negro, an hour and a half sooner than San Ignacio.

The second day, you might get to Cabo, but since that would require an early start plus many more towns to pass through, you should sleep in a bit, have breakfast (good restaurant at La Huerta), and stop along Bahia Concepcion for lunch at Playa Buenaventura (Mark & Olivia's). Make Loreto your next night... if too soon, then Ciudad Constitución.

The third day you can easily ride to Cabo and not get there in the dark!

I am happy to share photos, maps, and points of interest throughout the peninsula! My website is www.vivabaja.com for a heavy dose of Baja adventure planning ideas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 01:58 PM

Have your wife fly into Loreto. Direct flights from LAX.

Cabo is not Baja. It's a big tourist trap.

Do a side trip to La Paz. Get out on the ocean in Loreto and La Paz. It's a life changing experience. Watch the video in my sig, it was shot around Loreto and La Paz.

[Edited on 4-18-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 03:26 PM

Loreto is a really nice place for a meet-up with your sweetheart.

All the way to Cabo? Can, but it would be safer and you will keep your concentration on the bike and road better with shorter days. There are plenty of places to go fast, but pretty decent coverage by Federales. It's a really nice place to look at, but you'll be focused on the road.
ChrisandSandy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 03:26 PM

Thanks for all of the great feedback.
And about "flying" through Baja...I know...I know..:(.
Its an inaugural trip for myself, and a bit of a compromise with my wife. The plan is to do it a few times a year. On this trip, I plan to store my motorcycle in Cabo and reverse the process in a few months. I've investigated this quite a bit, and plan to spend many more days on future visits!

Thanks again!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 03:56 PM

I also would give a strong vote for Loreto including storing your bike there.

If you must get Cabo out of your system (Most of us did at one time) rent a car in Loreto and drive to Cabo and spend as much or as little time as you want there and treat Loreto as your home base and venture out from there. It's only about a 7 hour drive from Loreto. It is a nice drive going one way down the East Cape and the other way going through Todos Santos. You can even spend the night in La Paz and get a feel of that.

If your going to party and get loco (Once again, like most of us did at one time) Loreto is not the place and Cabo would be.

Don't you love other people telling you how to spend your life! :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 04:00 PM

sounds like a blast! where you staying in Cabo and whats your ride?
ChrisandSandy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 04:03 PM

Sounds like Loreto is the place to be. I'll keep that in mind. I'm riding a KLR650 down and (probably) staying at the Riu Palace. We spend a few days there last year, after flying in. It was very nice and to my wife's liking.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisandSandy  
Sounds like Loreto is the place to be. I'll keep that in mind. I'm riding a KLR650 down and (probably) staying at the Riu Palace. We spend a few days there last year, after flying in. It was very nice and to my wife's liking.

I think Sandy's got the right idea! :coolup: salud!
ChrisandSandy

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 04:20 PM

:). That's what she tells me..
Thanks!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-20-2020 at 02:22 PM

I keep my truck and our bikes right by the airport in Loreto. We do 3-4 trips down over a few months before bringing them back.

Your wife will love Loreto. Stay at La Mision hotel. It's really nice.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 01:41 AM

Loreto for sure! It is such a neat town. The beaches NORTH of Loreto (Bahia Concepcion area) are some of the most beautiful as seen from road. We live here and it still take my breath away every time we drive it.

Have fun and welcome to Baja Nomad ChrisandSandy!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.