Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  21
Author: Subject: Mexico Re-open?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

you are right, the air is worse on airplanes! Airplanes are usually more crowded, and your duration in airplane is typically longer than a subway or commuter train ride.
the budget airlines minimize air exchanges and air filter cleaning, because they are budget airlines trying to pinch a penny until it screams. 22 inch seat pitch and sitting next to fat sweaty people all wheezing, hacking and sneezing, packed like sardines,...

Don't play dumb. They will spread ppl out at first.

Ummm... and perhaps this is incorrect?? Outright assertions that are perhaps somewhat (or wholly) "inaccurate" cause credibility issues regarding any other info presented. Maybe that's just me. Or, maybe it's not?? :lol:

---------
So Much For United Airlines’ Pledge To Block The Middle Seat

“This is the last time I’ll be flying for a very long time,” Dr. Ethan Weiss tweeted yesterday from a crowded United Airlines flight from Newark to San Francisco. “People on this plane are scared/shocked.”

Dr. Weiss, an associate professor at the University of California San Francisco’s Cardiovascular Research Institute, had just spent two weeks volunteering at New York-Presbyterian Hospital during the COVID-19 crisis.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2020/05/10...
https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss/status/1259165939037331456
---------

EXl0qqzX0AE5YOo.jpg - 179kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

Ummm... and perhaps this is incorrect?? Outright assertions that are perhaps somewhat (or wholly) "inaccurate" cause credibility issues regarding any other info presented. Maybe that's just me. Or, maybe it's not?? :lol

Saw a photo of one person onboard a flight and another with a few passengers spread out. It's possible this stuff is changing by the minute. Or by the day.

On the United flight, that would be a miserable and long flight. Unless one were flying business or first class.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 08:23 PM

you are right, the air is worse on airplanes! Airplanes are usually more crowded, and your duration in airplane is typically longer than a subway or commuter train ride.
the budget airlines minimize air exchanges and air filter cleaning, because they are budget airlines trying to pinch a penny until it screams. 22 inch seat pitch and sitting next to fat sweaty people all wheezing, hacking and sneezing, packed like sardines,...

Ummm... and perhaps this is incorrect?? Outright assertions that are perhaps somewhat (or wholly) "inaccurate" cause credibility issues regarding any other info presented. Maybe that's just me. Or, maybe it's not?? :lol:

---------

“This is the last time I’ll be flying for a very long time,” Dr. Ethan Weiss tweeted yesterday from a crowded United Airlines flight from Newark to San Francisco. “People on this plane are scared/shocked.”

Dr. Weiss, an associate professor at the University of California San Francisco’s Cardiovascular Research Institute, had just spent two weeks volunteering at New York-Presbyterian Hospital during the COVID-19 crisis.

---------

i'd still get on that plane.

Lets go.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Saw a photo of one person onboard a flight and another with a few passengers spread out. It's possible this stuff is changing by the minute. Or by the day.

Lee, i have no doubt that if a flight isn't "full" that passengers will spread out. No-brainer.

The point made was that airlines - including United 10 days before this in a communication to this passenger - are indicating they're providing safe spacing, when in fact if they can (in this instance) sell out the seats, they will.

I understand the treacherous business environment right now. I get it. The point here is for the buyers to beware of double-speak from companies that are perhaps in desperate situations.

BTW... sell out the seats is a misnomer. The Dr was hesitant to "complain" as his - and the other 24/25 health professionals - tix were comped by United (good on them for this piece).... but the health professionals were quite alarmed at the situation they were put into unknowingly, or under false pretenses, etc.

This is something to keep in consideration throughout the world, Mexico, Canada, USA, Europe, Asia... it won't matter much. Desperate industries are service sector, and mostly hospitality related... airlines, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.

Best wishes to everyone.

EXl59rcXkAML16z.jpg - 290kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 08:34 PM

---------

---------

Lets go.

I would not get on that ual flight w/o my PAPR. Battery lasts over 4 hours.

[Edited on 5-11-2020 by BajaNomad]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 08:51 PM

United entered the Anchorage market a few years back, and made a point of matching the other airlines routes and schedules.

They were notorious for suddenly discovering some issue with a flight that was only half full, and therefore they were forced to cancel it and cram everyone onto another later flight!

They are my last choice for any travel plans, with the possible exception of that C-130 cargo plane that I spent 5 1/2 hours flying from Anchorage out to the end of the Aleutian Islands!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 05:11 AM

So this amazingly educated Dr. sat in his seat forward as the entire plane filled up and was so 'shocked' that he still sat there and subjected himself to the 'shocking' conditions.

Hmmm.... I looked at the photo and noticed right off that most all of the passengers had a similar physical dispensation as if they were in some way associated with each other.

Then I went to the cited threads and reviewed the total content of the associated photo and found that the smart doctor sat with 25 of his associates...who probably filled those seats together around him (whether assigned or not). I also suspect the balance of those seats are filled with similar medical personnel in similar circumstances of free transport. Yet, either way we don't really know, United hasn't responded to this accounting.

Point; I would suspect most all of these 'medical volunteers' had passed a, or several, Covid tests during their stint; I would expect that colleagues in service would sit with each other as they stood with each other for their service; I would suspect that some were colleagues who worked at their usual positions on a frequent and close proximity basis.

I would suspect, no good deed goes unpunished (especially on this forum). :(

Thank you United Airlines.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 10:38 AM

Sums it up for me. Dr.: 'I guess everyone just wanted to get where they wanted to get.”

UA is at fault for lack of communication -- that it would be a packed flight with no seat distancing.

When the Dr. boarded the plane, he saw what was happening and could have objected to UA -- but didn't rock the boat. Because it was a free flight? Really?

Associates who saw what was happening could have also objected and gotten off the plane.

Did the Dr. compromise the health of 25 Associates -- for a free flight? Looks that way to me. And the Associates deferred to the Dr.'s decision to remain on board.

Everyone was tired and wanted to get home. Got it. And everyone decided they would rather get home than be safe. Got it.

I'm going with the Pros. Social distancing is a guideline. 6' is a suggestion. It could be 2' or 10'.

I might fly with my own oxygen and rebreather mask.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 10:54 AM

---------

---------

Lets go.

I would not get on that ual flight w/o my PAPR. Battery lasts over 4 hours.

[Edited on 5-11-2020 by BajaNomad]

Goat!

At last we agree on something! I have 2 powered masks similar to those with P100 Filters. I use them when I cut weeds. (Or fly these days) They are great! Don’t forget the extra battery packs.

Stay Safe!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 11:04 AM

No worries....it's a Darwinian thing.... :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 06:17 PM

Regarding the question about when will mex re-open, and when will gringos travel again,...

With real unemployment rate over 25%, I suspect you won’t see much tourism return until late 2021 (when it does return).. peeps will be staying home after depleting savings (well, at least those that experienced unemployment or reduced employment).

I foresee the USA getting a bit stricter with gringos going to Mexico and returning possibly infected,...

Trump is saying the quarantine is ending, I think his tune will change if we get another wave of deaths.... I see a lot of people here in San Diego just blindly ignoring the social distancing orders and advice, I foresee another significant wave of infection and death...
Reminds me of people that smoke despite it being bad for you, people just think it won’t happen to them,.. until it does happen to them,...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 05:20 AM

Regarding the question about when will mex re-open, and when will gringos travel again,...

With real unemployment rate over 25%, I suspect you won’t see much tourism return until late 2021 (when it does return).. peeps will be staying home after depleting savings (well, at least those that experienced unemployment or reduced employment).

I foresee the USA getting a bit stricter with gringos going to Mexico and returning possibly infected,...

Trump is saying the quarantine is ending, I think his tune will change if we get another wave of deaths.... I see a lot of people here in San Diego just blindly ignoring the social distancing orders and advice, I foresee another significant wave of infection and death...
Reminds me of people that smoke despite it being bad for you, people just think it won’t happen to them,.. until it does happen to them,...

California total cases of C19 as of March 14, 2020 = 73,164 out of a population of 40 million = .18%

California total deaths from C19 as of same date = 3,032 out of 40 million = .008%

Nearly 50% of all deaths in California have been in Skilled Nursing homes!

So… rounding out… 1,500 people in California (in the general population) out of 39,998,500 people have died from Corona virus (Population minus 1,500 skilled nursing home deaths) = .0036%

Goats chance of dying from Corona Virus is .0036%

Stay inside Goat and watch Newsom tank the California economy over 36 ten thousandth of a chance of people dying from C19.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

California total cases of C19 as of March 14, 2020 = 73,164 out of a population of 40 million = .18%

California total deaths from C19 as of same date = 3,032

Stay inside Goat and watch Newsom tank the California economy over 36 ten thousandth of a chance of people dying from C19.

So, you would agree the stay-at-home orders and social distancing worked and limited infections to 0.18%. Great news! :bounce:

Sad that fatality rate among infected is 4% (3032/73614) :o

But with such a high fatality rate, glad that public health orders limited total infections to 0.18%. :light:

Thank you for pointing out that stats show Gavin Newsom :saint: did a great job. :bounce:

Sad that the public health emergency brought out into the open all the problems in your home town, klantee :no:

[Edited on 5-15-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 12:00 PM

Senior Jed,

Yes I'm planning on traveling (driving and camping) but still practicing social distancing. It will be the same as when I'm at home, as at home I still go to the store ( once a week or two ) and go during senior hours, wearing a mask.

While camping I'm sleeping in my rig and staying away from people going to places that are NOT crowded.

I am high risk as I'm over 65 and have lung issues so I'm extra careful.

So, I ask you, how am I not being responsible ??

I'm probably giving and getting less exposure while camping and out in Nature as I'm not around people as much as when I'm in my home town.

One size doesn't fit ALL....................

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 12:23 PM

Paco,
Sounds like you and I share some health concerns. And it sounds like you are being responsible with how you are getting out. I am also planning some camping with moto and cargo trailer camper....once my gardening and landscaping projects are looking closer to completion (and such projects never are).

I have been doing a good job of keeping distancing while getting groceries and gas....and as I live alone, I can sneeze, cough, spit, scratch, burp, and fart whenever I feel like it (try coughing or sneezing into your elbow with two rotator cuffed shoulders.... if you can make it, what does one do with the phlegm plastered onto your sleeve?).

It's the folks who don't take the plague seriously and promote care-free travel that are the ones to reconsider their personal responsibilities.

Up here in the frozen wastelands we have a lot of terrain with few or no folks.....camping in parks is still closed off, but wilderness camping is okay.

Our weather forecast is for a hot and dry June-July....so fires will become a concern with more folks camping in "wilderness" settings..... so breathing in a smokey environment may be a very unpleasant summer.

Be safe, enjoy the outdoors, and care for others as much as you do for your self. :coolup:

[Edited on 5-16-2020 by motoged]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
fires will become a concern with more folks camping in "wilderness" settings..... so breathing in a smokey environment may be a very unpleasant summer.

I'm really concerned about all the knuckleheads camping in dispersed areas if the campgrounds are closed. It's bad enough seeing the complete incompetence about camping and fires even when they have a fire ring, restrooms, and water nearby. God help us all this summer.

John
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I'm really concerned about all the knuckleheads camping in dispersed areas if the campgrounds are closed.

John

John, I promise to keep an eye out for the knuckleheads.... I know I can't be one of them ..... cuz my dad always called me a bonehead :biggrin:

Over the years when riding "out there", I have come across abandoned campfires still going.... and have made sure they are out before I leave. Kamloops is a dry high-risk area and we have had several seriously smoked out summers in recent years.

Trash campers....

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 05:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
cuz my dad always called me a bonehead :biggrin:

That's much milder language than what my dad called me. And mom was even worse.:lol:

John

[Edited on 5-16-2020 by John Harper]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2020 at 02:42 PM
Coronavirus: Over 100 million in China's north-east thrown back under lockdown

"Some 108 million people in China's north-east region are being plunged back under lockdown conditions as a new and growing cluster of infections causes a backslide in the nation's return to normal."

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/coronavirus-over...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
5-20-2020 at 07:59 PM
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2020 at 10:15 AM

So...…….

As of now, Mexico is set to reopen on June 22???

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.