Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For Your Viewing Pleasure
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 10:31 AM
For Your Viewing Pleasure

Here is a link to some fine drone footage. A great antidote for feeling cooped up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTrgJDdj3Cg
He has a whole series about riding the Baja Divide. Impressive.

I just purchased a new fat tire recumbent trike that I plan to peddle on some sections of the Baja Divide route starting (hopefully) in the coming winter. I hope the trails around San Diego County will open up this summer for training and most importantly some good fun in the sun.

Stay safe out there amigos. We can beat this thing.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for posting this. A lot of those locations look pretty familiar, but a drone perspective is a bit different. Who knew that there was a "drone dance"?

Good luck on your ride, assuming conditions warrant a safe venture south of the border. Are you contemplating a solo adventure, riding with others, or have a support vehicle?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 12:43 PM

That was an amazing vid. Good luck with your next adventure.
No new cases in Encinitas for 10 days, hope things open soon.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 02:13 PM

:cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 03:11 PM

yes, the guy is a real natural for the camera too. I picked up the info on his first attempt a couple of years back, 2020 this is now the second attempt to complete. Great series with a nice ending. What technology advance - send the drone up and make it follow you and then come "home".

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thanks for posting this. A lot of those locations look pretty familiar, but a drone perspective is a bit different. Who knew that there was a "drone dance"?

Good luck on your ride, assuming conditions warrant a safe venture south of the border. Are you contemplating a solo adventure, riding with others, or have a support vehicle?

I did a ride solo without support from Chicago to Santa Barbara CA last fall, seven weeks. So I think I could do it on my own, but sure would be nice if I had a partner. One of my sons has expressed interest. That would be the best! I won't do it all in one shot like my last trip, too long away from my sweetheart. So I anticipate breaking it up into say 10 day sections. See how far I can get and take a bus home. Rest up, kiss kiss and back to it sometime later.

Ryan's video production value is just great. I would be a real neophyte with shooting and editing, but making some sort of video would be fun. On the last trip I did a journal that I'm pretty proud of. It takes perseverance to write it all down and sort the pictures to post it every day after long rides. But I got er done. View it here if you feel like it.
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/rollingbeachchair

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 06:46 PM

going solo 2021 - unless covid 20 or 21 appears. Canada Divide, US Divide and then Baja. Might not have another chance so go for the whole way in one go. Did not know at all about the Divides until seeing a young cali couple
roll into cabo pulmo on these fat tire wheels.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 07:44 PM

I have driven much of the Baja divide in the course of my exploration of Baja. I have met a few "Dividers" along the way, and admire their stamina and commitment to the ride!

I am usually able to top off their water jugs, and share some ice chest goodies that wouldn't work out in their back or bike packs. In late January, I hauled an Austrian lady and her broken bicycle into La Paz from a point south of San Evaristo.

My son in Anchorage is an avid bicycle adventurer, and I have offered to be a chase vehicle if he and a couple of friends want to run the divide route. One of his friends (Lael Wilcox) for a while held the record for the route!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have driven much of the Baja divide in the course of my exploration of Baja. I have met a few "Dividers" along the way, and admire their stamina and commitment to the ride!

I am usually able to top off their water jugs, and share some ice chest goodies that wouldn't work out in their back or bike packs. In late January, I hauled an Austrian lady and her broken bicycle into La Paz from a point south of San Evaristo.

My son in Anchorage is an avid bicycle adventurer, and I have offered to be a chase vehicle if he and a couple of friends want to run the divide route. One of his friends (Lael Wilcox) for a while held the record for the route!

You are just the kind of guy I would love to encounter bumping down the road. Folks like Lael Wilcox are true road warriors. They put in 100+ mile days one after another. Amazing.

I will be happy to make 50 mile days on dirt, probably less. An E-Assist electirc motor is a strong possibility for me cuz I'm old. However, that will entail stops in small towns with electricity for charging batteries. It creates a whole new logistical challenge, kind of like the early Baja explorers who had to scrounge for gasoline. But it is a whole lot easier to peddle an ebike without power than it is to push a Jeep with no gas.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 08:25 AM

Tom, during my Baja Bound mapping/ guide research trips in 2017, I met a Canadian couple doing the Baja Divide on bikes. They were resting in the shade of Mission San Luis Gonzaga at noon (in August). It was easily 100°F+.

They were super nice and I offered them a treat of ice cold water. Their next destination was San Evaristo while I went to see the two Dolores mission sites, on a different road.

The next day, as I was now heading to San Evaristo, I ran into them again... and boy, did they ever appreciate some more ice cold water!

After my trip, I looked up their blog page and followed them as they continued to Cabo and across to the mainland. We are now Facebook friends as they are back home in the Great White North (with much cooler temperatures)!

Here is the chapter of their blog when we met (from page 433): http://www.zerotocruising.com/kenny-chesney-visit

Here is the approx. start of their Baja journey blog: http://www.zerotocruising.com/page/428?order=ASC

The Baja Divide web page: https://bajadivide.com/

I wish you much fun and adventure... and thank Paula for letting you do it!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 09:02 AM

DK, I cannot imagine riding Baja in August! People do some incredible stuff for sure. I would rather endure some chilly nights and a possible winter rain shower in the north. You can anticipate a rain storm and hunker in, but summer heat is relentless.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 09:05 AM

Great video! Very relaxing....Thanks for sharing!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Tom, during my Baja Bound mapping/ guide research trips in 2017, I met a Canadian couple doing the Baja Divide on bikes. They were resting in the shade of Mission San Luis Gonzaga at noon (in August). It was easily 100°F+.

great resource David - thank you. I was wondering timing wise when their trip was. Even more impressed it was august - obviously didn't bother you either. I had been told August Baja = a blast furnace + a punch in the face.
How much does general tourism drop in july august for Baja. Or does the body just adapt after a while?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

How much does general tourism drop in july august for Baja. Or does the body just adapt after a while?

Sure, you can adapt to the heat! Judicious use of shade, onshore breezes and air conditioning makes it possible. Of course,if you are out on the trail peddling up a grade in full sun, non of this applies!

I have never spent anytime in Baja between May and September, but until this Covid19 situation developed my plan was to head south in June and see if I could handle it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.