Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Surf/Boat rods
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 05:53 PM
Surf/Boat rods

Just picked up a cheaper new Daiwa spinning reel...BG 6500. Payback for work provided. About $120.00 new. It is....BIG. It holds I think about 500 yards of 50 lb braid.
I own about every reel ever made, ultra light to Penn International 's, but not a surf casting spinning reel. Been fishing the East Cape for over 40 years...now I am ready to try rooster in the surf. Just retired!!!!
So I want a proper surf rod to match this reel AND, I want a shorter boat rod to cast for finning marlin and dorado with the same reel.
Any advice? 9 1/2 foot for the surf and 8 foot for the boat? Is braid the way to go? Braid with mono top-shot? What do the pro's say? Throw me a bone...
Thanks! Ron
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 08:50 PM

30 lb spectra for shore fishing, if that is your thing (or 50 lb if that is already on the reel), shore fishing is easy on conventional rod/reel.
For rooster at shore, or most shore fishing, try fly, more fun than mindlessly tossing a conventional rig

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 09:18 PM

this is why you might want to throw this out to the Bloodydecks folks:rolleyes:
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 09:36 PM

hola,

one of the best bloodydecks folks lives in the east cape and is a great rod builder.

his name is bill, sorry, i forget his full name and where he lives in the east cape. there is the east cape tackle shop at the entry of los barriles that he builds rods for and they should be able to give you his contact info and can also guide you to your answer.

if they are not open due to the virus, signing onto " bloodydecks.com " and posting your query there will get you many knowledgeable responses, possibly even from bill.

BIEN SALUD. DA RAT
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2020 at 10:28 AM

I do quite a bit of surf fishing, I am over on the Pacific side of the peninsula. I would buy a rod from Jansen Inshore tackle. His main shop is in CSL, also one in SJD. His rods are built well and a fair price. The Baja Beach 12' is a nice rod. I use the 13' Baja Beach. I'd load with 50# braided spectra line and top shot of fluorocarbon line. I use 60 or 50 pound most of the time.
Tight Lines bk
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2020 at 11:44 AM

I just bought a 10" Pen Battalion and love it.
elskel is right on for the monster Cabo fish though and the Jansen you tube videos are exciting and gets you hyped to do some surf fishing. Not much need for the 6500 reel here so I have the BG 4000 with 30# braid and 40# leader.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6fGetM3Z6OBggmnZVIM2Sg
Here's the url for Jasen tackle where I spent wat too much.
https://www.fishandsave.com/?asid=116&keywords=jansen&am...

[Edited on 4-28-2020 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-28-2020 at 03:01 PM

An extra long surf rod isn't necessary on the East Cape beaches. If you are planning on targeting roosters you will be doing a lot of casting and retrieving. You may find that spinning reel to be a handful after your hundredth cast of the day. If you are soaking bait it will be a different story. 10' is long enough for that, 8' is a little long for a boat rod, I'd go no more than 7'

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2020 at 03:04 PM

A lot of teethy critters around, hooked this 10.5# Sierra couple of weeks ago.

I've seen wahoo at Punta Arena de La Ventana in 6' of water.

Tight Lines bk

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.