Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Extra room for guests
leo_jb

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 04:58 PM
Extra room for guests

After 30+ years traveling to Baja, my wife and I finally built ourselves a little casita in El Sargento, just south of La Paz. The casita is basically a large studio and is perfect for the two of us. The problem is we didn't anticipate how many people wanted to come visit, and we have no room to put them up. We could add on, but I don't want to pay the money to do that for two or three weeks a year. I'd prefer having something I could put up and use only when needed, like a yurt or large tent. I think I've ruled out a yurt because they are pretty tough to put up and require a lot of guy lines, which is tough in the sand. I'm leaning towards a large, well made tent like the Kodiak Flex-Bow 10x14. Anyone had any experience with these tents in Baja? Or other suggestions?

Thanks!

Kodiak.jpg - 46kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:05 PM

The Instant Tents from Coleman are great... Easy up and easy down! Costco has the large ones.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:09 PM

Are you putting it under a canopy or carport? Out in the sun, that thing can be unbearable if your guests want to get away to read or nap. Especially if all you have is a studio house.

I know from camping, nothing worse than coming back from a long hike and your tent is now in the sun. All you want to do is lay down for a bit and it's too damn hot inside the tent. I don't know if siestas are popular in La Paz, but they are most everywhere else.

That's why I just use a cot whenever possible and no tent. I just pick up the cot and move it under a tree or to a shady spot so taking a nap or reading is easy and comfortable.

Just a thought.

John
leo_jb

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:15 PM

Siestas are popular, and there are places to nap and hang out during the day. I just need a comfortable place for guests to spend the night.

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Are you putting it under a canopy or carport? Out in the sun, that thing can be unbearable if your guests want to get away to read or nap. Especially if all you have is a studio house.

I know from camping, nothing worse than coming back from a long hike and your tent is now in the sun. All you want to do is lay down for a bit and it's too damn hot inside the tent. I don't know if siestas are popular in La Paz, but they are most everywhere else.

That's why I just use a cot whenever possible and no tent. I just pick up the cot and move it under a tree or to a shady spot so taking a nap or reading is easy and comfortable.

Just a thought.

John
leo_jb

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:18 PM

Not a fan of big, square nylon tents in our location. It really blows in the afternoons and evenings and nylon tents tend to flap around like crazy.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Instant Tents from Coleman are great... Easy up and easy down! Costco has the large ones.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:18 PM

the kodiak flex bow tents are good, the fabric is pretty tough so pretty good for long term use. they will require lines when windy, but easy to attach at the two 90-degree pole peaks. you can skip the lines if not windy (then scramble when wind comes up at nite)
get 18 inch rebar stakes.
the stakes that come with tent are too short for sand (wont hold in wind), not strong enough for pounding into hard ground.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by leo_jb  
Not a fan of big, square nylon tents in our location. It really blows in the afternoons and evenings and nylon tents tend to flap around like crazy.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

kodiaks are not nylon, made of canvas. they are taught enough that they dont flap much in wind. awning of course comes down in wind.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

leo_jb

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:21 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. And yeah, long rebar stakes or buried rocks are the only ways to go.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
the kodiak flex bow tents are good, the fabric is pretty tough so pretty good for long term use. they will require lines when windy, but easy to attach at the two 90-degree pole peaks. you can skip the lines if not windy (then scramble when wind comes up at nite)
get 18 inch rebar stakes.
the stakes that come with tent are too short for sand (wont hold in wind), not strong enough for pounding into hard ground.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 05:33 PM

If the mattress is uncomfortable everything else is moot. :saint:

A small fan for those no breeze nights wouldn't hurt either. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-30-2020 at 06:24 PM
Amen

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
If the mattress is uncomfortable everything else is moot. :saint:

Spent my birthday at that gorgeous hotel in Catavina, a few years back. Sleeping on a particle board mattress sucked. Never again.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 11:09 AM

Springbar tents are the perfect option for guest accommodation!We have them here at our Inn an we use them at our whale camp so I know why they are perfect. They dont flap in strong winds...we had 30 knots and they were fine also torrential rains didnt affect them at all if the porch flap is down.

They have tons of room for 2-3 cots..ours have a queen bed and a cot or two if needs be. There is no pole in the middle and have ample standing room.

Mine have windows on all sides & doors back and front so let any breeze in and the zippers are very heavy duty to last.

They are the bomb and take only 10 minutes top to put up!!
Highly recommend them! They last a long time if properly stored so worth the money.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 11:23 AM

That's GREAT to hear, Shari! Thanks for sharing the photos, too... very impressive!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 11:50 AM

Tent Trailer - pop up. You are up off the ground, hard roof, much ventilation,
lights, extension cord powers the unit. Set up about 10 minutes. Bed / Table inside. I have a large one 24' when extended, use as a spare room. They make much smaller ones, they are cheap, to buy used. I have have seen them for sale down here, Southern Baja. I would put a wanted ad on the Baja Pony Express, if you could find one down here, much easier, no tow down the peninsula. Cheap in the States. I actually poured a concrete slab, which it sits on. It sits behind my house and gets only the morning sun, which keeps it cooler, I cover with a heavy plastic tarp when not in use. I get a couple of years out of the tarp.
bk
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 12:13 PM

When camping on soft sand and high wind i tie down the tent and malla sombra with deadmen made from 1 sq foot pieces of 1/2 plywood drilled with 2 holes burried about a foot or more deep. This also works for tieing down aircraft.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 01:41 PM

What elskel said, a tent trailer or even a small trailer, you could even build a car port or cover for it? Might be a nice place for you or the wife to be able to slip away for your own quit place?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 02:32 PM

Interesting how this turned to tent trailers...

That was what my dad thought would be perfect to pull behind our Jeep Wagoneer, on our first trips to Gonzaga Bay... 1965!
They sure were... at least from what I remember!

At Puertecitos, the gringos with beer in their hands said "no way" and the road ends here!
A few hours later, we were set up on the most beautiful white sand beach... Viva Gonzaga... Viva Jeep... Viva Tent Trailers!

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 03:46 PM

Tent trailer behind house.
leo_jb

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 05:06 PM

Thanks for the great photos! Is there a reason you picked the Springbar over the Kodiak? Near as I can tell they are very similar. Also, how are you staking them down?

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Springbar tents are the perfect option for guest accommodation!We have them here at our Inn an we use them at our whale camp so I know why they are perfect. They dont flap in strong winds...we had 30 knots and they were fine also torrential rains didnt affect them at all if the porch flap is down.

They have tons of room for 2-3 cots..ours have a queen bed and a cot or two if needs be. There is no pole in the middle and have ample standing room.

Mine have windows on all sides & doors back and front so let any breeze in and the zippers are very heavy duty to last.

They are the bomb and take only 10 minutes top to put up!!
Highly recommend them! They last a long time if properly stored so worth the money.

leo_jb

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 05:11 PM

Not a bad idea. I was also thinking of buying a regular travel trailer and setting it up, since I have a site with RV hookups. Problem is the offseason - scorching sun and possible hurricanes (direct hit last year). Throwing a tent in the casita at the end of the season is pretty (though not totally) foolproof.

is pretty
Quote: Originally posted by elskel  
Tent Trailer - pop up. You are up off the ground, hard roof, much ventilation,
lights, extension cord powers the unit. Set up about 10 minutes. Bed / Table inside. I have a large one 24' when extended, use as a spare room. They make much smaller ones, they are cheap, to buy used. I have have seen them for sale down here, Southern Baja. I would put a wanted ad on the Baja Pony Express, if you could find one down here, much easier, no tow down the peninsula. Cheap in the States. I actually poured a concrete slab, which it sits on. It sits behind my house and gets only the morning sun, which keeps it cooler, I cover with a heavy plastic tarp when not in use. I get a couple of years out of the tarp.
bk
leo_jb

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 05:33 PM

Great suggestion. Similar to one they give on the Kodiak website.

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
When camping on soft sand and high wind i tie down the tent and malla sombra with deadmen made from 1 sq foot pieces of 1/2 plywood drilled with 2 holes burried about a foot or more deep. This also works for tieing down aircraft.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.