BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: CBP agent revokes San Diego commuter's SENTRI pass over mask dispute
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 12:30 PM

It's pretty hard to stand six feet away from someone when they are handing their Sentri card to you.

It's difficult situation. All the person had to do was remove their mask for a few seconds - the CBP folks never take long.

Some social graces are critical if you wish to live outside your home country and you want to get back into yours.

Boarder guards ALWAYS have your cojones in their hand. In every country.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 03:41 PM
The Shades Test

For a couple of times after the first instance years back when asked (ordered) to remove sunglasses, I did so ahead of time, but then rethought it and quit.

Arriving with shades on, one can impress the agent with a cooperative attitude by instantly complying.

Accompanied by an enthusiastic and respectful "Yes Sir", of course.

BTW, there's NO "conservative conflict" in respecting personal freedom guarantees AND supporting the proper application of law enforcement procedures.

Since "the truth lies in their eyes", it's obviously a valid technique.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 04:38 PM

The CBP guys in the booths at border are public servants. They work for the citizens. If they are disrespectful to citizens they should be reported for discipline by superiors. flocking buttcracks at the border shall not be tolerated!
They should come to work with a positive, welcoming additude, and be the polite doormen / greeters they are expected to be.

Law enforcement that comes at you with a bad additude should always be reported. You should record your interactions. Yes, you may record your interactions with CBP. You are not advised to make the recording openly.

You are allowed to record law enforcement agents performing their duties in public areas. You can also record your interactions and conversations with Border Patrol and CBP agents as you pass through a port of entry, a checkpoint, or other inspection point. You do not have to obtain consent to film or record a conversation you are in.

However, if you record audio of conversations of which you are not a part, then you may be violating U.S. and State wire-tapping laws, which forbid people from recording conversations of third parties without consent.

You can make an audio or video recording, take a photograph, or any combination of these. Be forewarned, if you record openly, you may be subject to further questioning, detention, or seizure of your recording device.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 04:45 PM
Border guards are not to be messed with!!

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
It's pretty hard to stand six feet away from someone when they are handing their Sentri card to you.

It's difficult situation. All the person had to do was remove their mask for a few seconds - the CBP folks never take long.

Some social graces are critical if you wish to live outside your home country and you want to get back into yours.

Boarder guards ALWAYS have your cojones in their hand. In every country.

Couple years ago we had a real "Hispanic standoff" at the entry to Lima Peru.
My petite little Mexican born wife had changed hair color quite dramatically since her passport picture, and the petite little Peruvian lady wasn't having any of it.

Except for the momentary uncertainty of whether or not we were going to be admitted, it was pretty funny to see those two little gals having at it in the local language.

(Yeah, we eventually got in and she never updated the picture)
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 08:11 PM
Living in an Alternative Universe ?

Hmm ?

" .......... They should come to work with a positive, welcoming additude, and be the polite doormen / greeters they are expected to be........ "

That's funny.

Having NEVER encountered same in five decades of crossings, I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist.

AND, I'm also pretty sure that ANY of them know the pertinent law as well as anyone here.

Some thirty-plus years ago, crossing after a 2+ hour holiday wait late evening and a bit of SmartAss commentary/action on my part, I was sent to secondary and detained while EVERYTHING in my truck was removed for inspection. After (supposedly) being run through a criminal check, I was fined for the over-limit ounces of Cerveza found and supervised while I poured it down a drain in secondary before I was allowed to repack the truck and released. Total time detained about 3 hours.

My border-crossing attitude underwent a dramatic improvement from that day forward. Which, of course, was the (their) point.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 05:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Hmm ?

" .......... They should come to work with a positive, welcoming additude, and be the polite doormen / greeters they are expected to be........ "

Some thirty-plus years ago, crossing after a 2+ hour holiday wait late evening and a bit of SmartAss commentary/action on my part, I was sent to secondary and detained while EVERYTHING in my truck was removed for inspection. After (supposedly) being run through a criminal check, I was fined for the over-limit ounces of Cerveza found and supervised while I poured it down a drain in secondary before I was allowed to repack the truck and released. Total time detained about 3 hours.

My border-crossing attitude underwent a dramatic improvement from that day forward. Which, of course, was the (their) point.

And from now on, you're the one with the "positive, welcoming attitude" when you encounter border agents. Good story.:D

John

[Edited on 5-17-2020 by John Harper]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 09:12 AM
It Doesn't Appear .....................

That there's much huddling in fear.

Aside from that whole economy business (lack thereof), it was great while it lasted. No traffic, few people and those encountered mostly keeping their distance.

But, that's over. Coming back from Poppet Flats Friday p.m., the I-10 "Getaway" day traffic (including RVs and Boats) was pretty much what it used to be. Long lines at all of the restaurant Drive-Thrus.

Our campground has lifted its cap on reservations and returned to a 100 percent allowance. RVs are flooding in for the coming holiday and the Adult Pool/Jacuzzi was opened Friday a.m. with the "Family Center" pool and facilities scheduled for next Friday. We'll have to see how that "distancing" (especially in the pool) is going to play out. Based upon what's gone on so far, I wouldn't bet on success.

Aside from the miscellaneous infection, illness, death, shortages, inconveniences and general cratering of the economy, it was nice while it lasted.

As we would in any "normal" year, we're headed up this a.m. to prep our trailer for storage during the holiday insanity. Perhaps, there will be a significant second-wave which will bring a return to restrictions and make for a less crowded and intense summer season.

Quien Sabe ? Like the drunks say "Day by Day".

BTW, the "crisis" MUST be over. Masks are disappearing on the faces of shoppers and there's (limited) TP on the shelves everyday.

Along with SPAM !

No Roast Beef Hash, though.

So far.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 02:41 PM

Since this thread started with the question of whether or not the San Diego commuter should have complied with the CBP agent's request to remove his mask (and also whether or not the agent was in the right to take his SENTRI pass), I'll share my perspective. My father served on the NYPD for 30 years, as did my brother on the LAPD. I was taught to respect police officers and to give them the benefit of the doubt - whether I thought they were doing the right thing or not. My most contentious argument went like this:

Police Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me: "I know I cut that light pretty close, but I thought it was yellow when I entered the intersection."
P.O.: "Nope. I was watching you, and it was red. License and registration."

Beyond that, one is asking for trouble. If the CBP agent insisted that the commuter remove his mask, anything beyond compliance - even if it's reluctant - is also asking for trouble. Did the agent put the commuter at risk? Statistically, I'd say that's probable. Should the agent be reported for not wearing a mask? If that's the current CBP guideline, I would say yes - obviously long after the exchange at the border.

My take is that both the agent and the commuter made mistakes in this encounter, but it's the agent who has the authority and not the commuter. That's why he no longer has his SENTRI pass.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

You misunderstand as far as myself I just want to get across the border as quickly as possible without any hassle. If you want to stick out your chest and claim all your rights as a US citizen fine with me but please don't be in line in front of me. I want to go home.

The only time I have ever been given crap by a US border agent was back in the 90s and it was going into Baja. I was in my open bed pickup and they were stopping us at the Tecate border on the US side. He asked me what I was taking across and I frankly didn't know what he meant so I asked him what he meant. In a very loud voice he said "WHAT ARE YOU TAKING INTO MEXICO" to which I started naming all the stuff in the bed of my truck. He broke in and said "ARE YOU TAKING MORE THAN $10,000. I said if I had $10,000 I'd be going to Europe not Baja. He then said go on.

The time I brought my stolen truck back across the border was a lot more interesting, hands on gun type stuff. But that's another story.

[Edited on 5-18-2020 by BajaNomad]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

You misunderstand as far as myself I just want to get across the border as quickly as possible without any hassle. If you want to stick out your chest and claim all your rights as a US citizen fine with me but please don't be in line in front of me. I want to go home.

The only time I have ever been given crap by a US border agent was back in the 90s and it was going into Baja. I was in my open bed pickup and they were stopping us at the Tecate border on the US side. He asked me what I was taking across and I frankly didn't know what he meant so I asked him what he meant. In a very loud voice he said "WHAT ARE YOU TAKING INTO MEXICO" to which I started naming all the stuff in the bed of my truck. He broke in and said "ARE YOU TAKING MORE THAN $10,000. I said if I had $10,000 I'd be going to Europe not Baja. He then said go on.

The time I brought my stolen truck back across the border was a lot more interesting, hands on gun type stuff. But that's another story.

[Edited on 5-18-2020 by BajaNomad]

Looking like I was misquoted
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 08:22 AM

Seems to me that this whole thread is wrapped up in the simple line from the news story "refused to take off his mask" when so ordered.

"TILT" Game over.....

p.s. to TMW..... sure would like to hear why you stole a truck in Mexico and then tried to sneak it back, or did I miss something in the story??
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Seems to me that this whole thread is wrapped up in the simple line from the news story "refused to take off his mask" when so ordered.

"TILT" Game over.....

p.s. to TMW..... sure would like to hear why you stole a truck in Mexico and then tried to sneak it back, or did I miss something in the story??

X2
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2020 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

"TILT" Game over.....

My truck was stolen in Mexico and later recovered unharmed except for the steering wheel shaft case and connecting rods. When I was driving it back across the border you should've seen the look on the agents face when I drove up. He must have put my license plate # in the computer 3 or 4 times. When he motioned me to him he stepped out with hand on gun. I explained what happened and he had me pull forward while he shut the gate behind me. always with his hand on his gun. He then said drive slow next to him while he walked me to secondary. He told me to stay in vehicle while he called the San Diego police. They showed up about 30 minutes later and all was good.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2020 at 07:35 PM

So. How many folded bills did you have to pass over to San Diego’s finest to get your truck back??😄😄
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2020 at 06:11 AM

None, when my truck was stolen I turned it in to my Mexican insurance agent and Allstate as well as the CHP as per my Allstate agent advice. When the SD police arrived they asked me a couple of questions then went inside. The border agent had taken the Mexican insurance paperwork I gave him inside and I assume the police looked it over and then let me go. I stayed in the truck the whole time.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2020 at 06:17 AM

The only people that gave me any crap was the Mexican Federales when I was getting all the paper work signatures done for a stolen vehicle. They wouldn't speak to me in English so I had to get a friend to talk to them in Spanish yet when it wasn't about my truck they talked in English. Everybody else talked to me in English.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2020 at 03:19 PM
Cops in TJ are hopeless

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The only people that gave me any crap was the Mexican Federales when I was getting all the paper work signatures done for a stolen vehicle. They wouldn't speak to me in English so I had to get a friend to talk to them in Spanish yet when it wasn't about my truck they talked in English. Everybody else talked to me in English.

My son, originally from orphanage in La Mision, is an Alameda County Deputy. 15 years on the force.
He went down to TJ to visit his sister who owns an upscale coffee shop. Rented a car in San Diego.
He was rear ended by a drunk in central Tijuana. Hard
Stuffed the trunk up against the back window.
Drunk swung around him and drove off, my boy in pursuit.
Guy whips into a private driveway and runs into the house
My boy finds a TJ cop, takes him to the scene, cop shrugs and basically says "not my problem"
Won't go onto private property no matter how hard my boy argues.
(Note.... my son never, ever talks about being a sworn officer, here or in Mexico)
He asks the cop to write an accident report so that he can get it to the rental agency
Cop refuses
$50 US and he grudgingly writes it up.
It gets better,
At the border the guy tells him to open the trunk.
Tito points out that it is totally smashed and inoperable
Off to secondary.
Same drill.
Open the trunk!
Trunk won't open
Then just sit here.
At some point it comes out that he is a cop and things go downhill from there.
Two hours of sniffing dogs, crow bars and BS (never did get the trunk open) they send him on his way.
Needless to say, he ain't goin' back to Mexico any time soon....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.