BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: COVID brings Good News ..............
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-9-2020 at 03:51 PM
COVID brings Good News ..............

.............. For Pigs ?

The Pandemic effect on the packing houses means that the "hog farmers" are being forced to humanely euthanize those porkies. Which might be a better one than what they were looking to. The humanely part, that is.

In a "DUH" moment, the network newsgal asked the field reporter if the farmers might have other alternatives such as donating the animals to a food bank.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-9-2020 at 04:25 PM

What petting zoo wouldn't love to take on a truck load of hungry juvenile hogs?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 02:29 AM
The U.S. Hog Industry--Then and Now

"U.S. hogs and pigs data found in the 1978 Census of Agriculture (and other publications from the same period) encapsulates pretty well the state of the U.S. industry before the shift toward concentration and vertical integration began. There were 512,292 farms in the United States that reported raising hogs, and the average farm had an inventory of about 115 animals. Only three percent of hog farms had inventories of 5,000 head or more. In contrast, the most recent (2012) Census of Agriculture reported 63,246 farms with hogs, an 87 percent decline in less than 35 years. The average hog farm had 1,043 animals in inventory, with 83 percent of animals in operations with more than 5,000 head."

https://www.agweb.com/blog/straight-from-dc-agricultural-per...

A bit dated report ... 2016 ... but, informative to hog production in the USA

One of the most difficult production problems on large animal farms ... dealing with waste getting "off-site" ... through: air, water and soil

Cost for production do not included Tertiary Waste treatment facilities, on-site :biggrin::biggrin:

Slaughtering tends to be a difficult part of "eating" animals ... IMO

However, it has not stopped me and/or my family from eating animals ... just saying

[Edited on 5-11-2020 by wessongroup]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 07:17 AM

Heck, I'll eat Lamb, Ram, Sheep & Mutt, Bull, Beef , Bacon and Bear !!!

I'fn ya say that line fast , It just roils off the tongue ....

Also If God didn't intend us Human's to eat Animals, He wouldn't have made them out of Meat !

And have them taste SO darn good Bar-B-Qued or put inside a Taco..

[Edited on 5-11-2020 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-11-2020 at 08:25 AM
Keep those Ribeyes Coming !

To those in the Slaughterhouse industry who may fall to CV-19 in the line of duty, we say ..................

"You will have died for a noble cause and will be saluted each day as we fire up the Barbie."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.