Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bringing furniture to Baja
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-13-2020 at 05:30 PM
Bringing furniture to Baja

Hi,
I’m sure this has been discussed but I’m looking for real time info soooo....
What are the general rules/laws about bring household furniture and appliances down?
I plan to bring my home furniture and appliances but I “know” they need to be used, which they are, and etc.., Here’s where it gets fuzzy for me as far as being penalized for it or taxes or import fees or whatever...I am not trying to skirt the law but to know the law..thank you
Thank you,
MOD

[Edited on 5-17-2020 by Mother of Dragons]
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 05:32 AM

Hi MOD, this was posted on a different discussion

https://www.mexadventure.com/mexico-travel/Items_Bring_Mexic...

It says if you are bringing between $300-$1000 dollars worth of "stuff" you can declare it yourself and pay the duty at the border.
Moving to Mexico?
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 11:53 AM

Thank you!
Yes..I am in 2 years fully but for now there’s land with an orchard that we bought and will build a home on. Can’t wait but can also start taking stuff down now.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 12:07 PM

i recently imported new furniture (in original boxes) i used the legit receipts, and paid the duty.(minus the $600 allowance for the two of us)
normally, i try to make stuff appear used, but i wanted the protection the packing offered.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 12:11 PM

Bringing used stuff a pick-up truck load at a time is pretty painless. The few times they had me pay anything, it was quite reasonable for a range, or refrigerator. Good luck
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 08:41 AM

This last load with the new furniture in boxes ,was crossed at TJ. The customs guy was laser focused on unloading my wallet of every peso required by regulations.
Over the years i have gotten away with dodging fees quite skillfully...it was my turn to pay.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
This last load with the new furniture in boxes ,was crossed at TJ. The customs guy was laser focused on unloading my wallet of every peso required by regulations.
Over the years i have gotten away with dodging fees quite skillfully...it was my turn to pay.

So they counted your money or what?

[Edited on 5-17-2020 by Mother of Dragons]
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Bringing used stuff a pick-up truck load at a time is pretty painless. The few times they had me pay anything, it was quite reasonable for a range, or refrigerator. Good luck

Agree! It’s maybe the random larger item I’m curious about? Like I’m waved through with whatever in my car(SUV) but if I hook my utility trailer to my car then it changes.
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 08:58 AM

Years ago on this site I remember reading about a member who had a flatbed trailer that they would layer with plywood, lumber and sheetrock and then put some "stuff" on top of it. Avoided duty and was able to use superior building products building the house.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 09:30 AM

drive to secondary...declare...pay 16% of appraised value and drive away

remember even if you get a green light you can still be stopped later

just pay

wouldn't you hate it to find out the Chinese were sneek'n stuff across the border

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
ranpar01
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

remember even if you get a green light you can still be stopped later

just pay

wouldn't you hate it to find out the Chinese were sneek'n stuff across the border

is it possible to download the declaration form and fill it out ahead of time, or do you just bring a list with estimated value and copy it onto the form at the border? I searched all over and only see a downloadable form if arriving by air. Also, when estimating the value do they verify it or do they take your word for it? Everything I'm bringing down is used and mostly kitchen stuff (blender, coffee maker, pots and pans, plates, glasses, lamps, etc.) it will be a pretty long list but the value on all this stuff is very low. Not towing a trailer, just stuffing the back of my SUV with all rear seats down. thanks!
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 10:05 PM

I've taken two loads down in the past nine months. The first went through Mexicali west and the second in March was Mexicali east. Original receipts were uploaded to WORD and "modified" to stay under the import broker limit of $3000 USD. The revised receipts were then printed and put into our aduanas folder. I pulled into the declaration area, had all of my receipts ready and the inspections went very smooth. Aduanas added everything up, then deducted $600 USD for two people and we paid 16% on the remainder. The amount due was less then $330 on the first trip and only about $65 on the second trip.
June 26th will be the third (and hopefully final) truckload. Same import strategy will be employed.
They seem very amicable when you volunteer to pay up front without trying to blow though.
Good luck!!:D
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 07:06 AM

We have brought many loads down over the years. This is our standard procedure. Simple, easy, and quick. Just pony up and pay.

The Customs officials have a good idea of what your items are worth and usually will not question your declared value if it is reasonable.

However, on one trip, the customs official was obviously not satisfied with the declared value nor my receipt for a patio furniture set from Lowes. The receipt was original and was not 'modified'.

We had just bought the furniture set less than a week before at an end of season closeout sale. The price was 40% off from the summer long regular price.

The Customs official pulled out his phone and scanned the bar code on one of the furniture boxes. Lowes' website immediately popped up on his phone and showed the big '40% off Sale' banner and a price that exactly matched my receipt. Whew!!

He smiled, initialed the declaration form, said to go inside to pay, and we were on our way.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

We have brought many loads down over the years. This is our standard procedure. Simple, easy, and quick. Just pony up and pay.

The Customs officials have a good idea of what your items are worth and usually will not question your declared value if it is reasonable.

However, on one trip, the customs official was obviously not satisfied with the declared value nor my receipt for a patio furniture set from Lowes. The receipt was original and was not 'modified'.

We had just bought the furniture set less than a week before at an end of season closeout sale. The price was 40% off from the summer long regular price.

The Customs official pulled out his phone and scanned the bar code on one of the furniture boxes. Lowes' website immediately popped up on his phone and showed the big '40% off Sale' banner and a price that exactly matched my receipt. Whew!!

He smiled, initialed the declaration form, said to go inside to pay, and we were on our way.

Nice..thank you for the tip and laughs..I don’t mind paying of something is newish but there’s stuff that’s clearly old and used.
I’ll just deal with it as it comes and be prepared with money.
Thanks so much.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 11:12 AM

When importing anything through Mexicali go to the West Crossing. Do not bring anything in original boxes as you will pay more. Receipts for used stuff may help. See what they price your things at, then show receipts if they are high. Put small expensive parts in a plastic tub with a lid. If bringing plywood or lumber load it on the bottom. Park your quad or whatever on top. Show up with a smile, receipts and your stuff, let them Do the paperwork!
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 02:46 PM

We have brought used household “stuff” down quite a few times. The last being 2 wks ago. If we dont think its worth much we don't
declare. If we have any higher value things or a mixture of old and new, then we have receipts for the new and let them figure value for the used.... We always end up in secondary no matter what when we drive the van.. the windows are all blocked with reflective coverings .. still.. to this date... they have never made us pay duty. we have never had anything new with receipts over 400 usd .. But have had the van full of used stuff. Even when we had used furniture shipped with ACV from SD to Los Cabos, between the shipping and the duty it was still much less $$ than buying it in Los Cabos. We only did this with some higher quality things that would be out of our price range in Baja.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 09:56 AM

Great, thanks everyone.
I’m not against paying if it’s fair, just wanted to know the routine and appreciate all the answers.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2020 at 12:53 PM

MOD - Where in Baja are you planning to build a home?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2020 at 06:47 PM

MOD The few times we have had to pay were all so reasonable. We brought so much used stuff down. Never an issue. The only question was "Do you have a house?"

Once I had to pay duty on new boogie boards I brought down for surf contest prizes...no biggie. Another time we had to pay duty on springs for our Titan even though they had MADE IN MEXICO or hecho en Mexico right on them LOL

When we brought our brand new kitchen in boxes, we had the receipt and paid up front.

Once we were going thru TJ and they rerouted us to Otay.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2020 at 03:12 PM

Thanks Blanca..😊
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.