Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: El Coyote to Mikes
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 05:43 PM
El Coyote to Mikes

Just got word El Coyote to Mikes Locked gate. Internal problem El Coyote V Family member Melings. . Will have more info in next few days.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 06:08 PM

Yes, please ... Who would do this, the Melings? Are there people driving 2WD vehicles needing rescue using it?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 06:45 PM

Hola David don't understand 2wd vehicles? El coyotes did not put up gate. Rancho meling did that will cause El Coyotes problems to get to other properties.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 06:54 PM

Sounds like a family member got mad at another family member. Don't you just hate that, ruining it for everybody.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 09:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Hola David don't understand 2wd vehicles? El coyotes did not put up gate. Rancho meling did that will cause El Coyotes problems to get to other properties.

Two Wheel Drive. Is the gate to prevent 2WD vehicles from using the road to Mike's, and needing help?

Melings own El Coyote, too, so I was wondering if it's like what TW was saying above if not the vehicles being stuck?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 06:43 AM

Persons that operate Meling ranch (members of the Melling family) do not own Coyote (members of the Melling family). Even so, yes there are all related and are likely having a family dispute.
I doubt seriously it has anything to do with the kind of vehicles that were using that road.
I can wait until the Nomad that is in contact with Mike at Coyote give us the whole story?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 06:48 AM

I have Mike D's email... I will ask.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 08:26 AM

There is 3 ways I know from Coyote to Mike's. One of three is another Meling rancho. That by passes new gate that route is locked and gated many years now. The other two route's I don't know if new gate blocks both. The Fourth route to Mike's open is below dark sky inn. This year has been lots of rain before the rain a handful on my moto. If still passable I think only Moto maybe sxs. El coyote owned by melings Rancho meling owed by Dan who married there sister. This problem is from one of the non meling sons. One thing I know that is main route of travel. In my area when people block main route and other ranchers want to pass. They go around gate or what ever it takes.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 11:03 AM

As the Palapa turns..............

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
There is 3 ways I know from Coyote to Mike's. One of three is another Meling rancho. That by passes new gate that route is locked and gated many years now. The other two route's I don't know if new gate blocks both. The Fourth route to Mike's open is below dark sky inn. This year has been lots of rain before the rain a handful on my moto. If still passable I think only Moto maybe sxs. El coyote owned by melings Rancho meling owed by Dan who married there sister. This problem is from one of the non meling sons. One thing I know that is main route of travel. In my area when people block main route and other ranchers want to pass. They go around gate or what ever it takes.

I remember reading that Dark skies sold their property due to repeated flooding, but eventually built a heavy gate as well? I remember taking a wrong turn on the Pole Line Road over a decade ago, as I rolled up to the Ranchers house, their eyes were bulging with anger as we quickly turned around and headed back up the trail.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 07:09 PM

As of last year not sold caretakers there at dark sky's. The route im talking about you do not Cross there property. You turn in from pavement . Same road to there place at the Y you turn left. If I can get up there soon I will ride moto. Report back if 4x4 can do it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 08:19 PM

I think Mike and his wife wanted to sell Dark Sky's because they were not getting enough people to use there telescopes. There weren't many people there when ever I was there. The last time I saw him he said they were taking their stuff on the road for exhibits. They're asking $500,000.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Y1DDXtfaE4Wot...

[Edited on 5-19-2020 by TMW]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2020 at 12:31 AM

When they put up the locked gate that ended it .
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2020 at 07:46 AM

For Paul Mike from El Coyote will be at my house. This morning will have more info. Hoping this is not so as the two brothers at Melings El Coyote are super nice. On the other hand they are not to be messed with. Dan the owner of Melings rancho super nice also. No way are they fighting it is large family for sure in-laws.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 08:13 PM

More info there are two gates coming from Mikes. The first one is Where one family member of Melings. Has his rancho in Canyon with big trees where he closed the road past the trees. The Melings made a bypass route on Lt side. New gate on that spot other gate metal one is a mile before you get to Coyotes. The first Gate the made enough room for a Moto to pass, Reports also the metal gate is easy by passed by moto. I know the story from El Coyote . When I camp up there I will talk to Rancho Meling to get full scoop .
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 06:32 AM

Thanks, It has been to long since I drove up to Coyote from Mikes Sky Ranch. The first trip we followed Mile's sign and drove down a newly dozed road to the valley into the horse corral at Coyote. The next time that road was closed because the road was made without permission of the rancher and we took the route that had been repaired. Of course there were no gates back then.
No trips last winter and no local reports I am aware of.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 07:13 AM

What is strange first gate Mike's to Coyote. They left enough room to get past it with Moto. Second big metal gate was also passed. By large group of Mexican riders on Moto's.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 08:24 AM

A little visual aid...

2010 AAA Map:

2003 Baja Almanac:

My 2005 mileage notes:

1978 AAA Map:

1974 AAA Map:

1972 DK Map:

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 09:20 AM
Roads I Haved Used

Mikes – El Coyote – Melling Roads
Here is what I see on my GPS. These roads truly existed at one time.

And the detail near Coyote

Maybe someone could mark the gates? And other washout or no longer used roads?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 10:29 AM

Just to the right of your crosshair, on the newer, detour road, is near where my rear left brake broke and I limped back to El Coyote. Kept me from getting to Mike's Sky Rancho in 2017.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.