Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: El Coyote to Mikes
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 11:37 AM

anyone how is the road from Coyote to Buena Vista? 2WD F150 possible to get down and back up or better access
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 03:55 PM

Some speculating the gates were primarily to protect the three ranch personal from the virus. But here is some info from a trusted source.

It’s not to isolate from the Covid. They were put up by the main Meling ranch. They want more $, not just people passing thru. Mostly it is UTVs they are tired of passing thru. Unfortunately, it will effect El Coyote Meling guest ranch and Mikes too. The main old Meling ranch wants people to stay at their ranch and they will open the gates to those with reservations.

Get a reservation and do not just go around or unwire the gate fence.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 08:55 PM

I have pictures of the first gate just sticks and wire. Big gap bikes just pass by. The second gate metal they probably made a trail around it. That road is not even near rancho Meling ? I feel once this gets out it will back fire on rancho melings.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 06:17 AM

On post coyote to Buena Vista route 2wd f150. The gate is locked from coyote start. We rode it on Moto's if you where to drive it. Gate at other west end open after that old baja course. No way 2wd either way as a matter of fact . It was very difficult on our Moto's. With 4x4 big maybe I would not try it with my 4x4.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 06:39 AM

We inspected new locked gates both ends. We did not ride our Moto's. Past gates but we did ride up to both sides. For us we have better routes then just pounding rocks. The metal gate 5 min from coyotes. Is locked but fence removed for anyone to pass. On stick gate towards Mike's gate locked . People have been going around it. We rode our motos thought melings rancho. I wanted to talk to David the owner but did not see his truck. I think big mistake to put gates up as will kill business . For all three ranchos plus no sign before gate on Mikes side. So any group that goes that far will not stop at gate. On the dirt forest road south of paved road to top. I have the keys to that route. It is not passable anything with 4 wheels. On Moto's we had to dig with sticks. And make reroutes as wash outs ten ft down 10 ft across. It looks like no travel for a long time . The massive power lines on that route. Are not completed maybe due to nothing with 4 wheels can get there. Even my yxz 1000 no way.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The massive power lines on that route. Are not completed maybe due to nothing with 4 wheels can get there. Even my yxz 1000 no way.

Larry, do you think the power lines (when completed) are for the observatories?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 04:47 PM

Yes David no one person could spend that. amount of money.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 05:03 PM

Oh, I know (except Carlos Slim)... I was just wondering what direction they were going and the route to the observatories, IF that was the purpose.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 05:50 PM

Maybe they are going to cover the mountain with solar panels and wind turbines, and sent the power down the mountain to charge our electric vehicles? :?:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 06:01 PM

Never the south forest dirt road was built. To run power lines and a water line to a rancho. Right now the massive tractor is broken down . For a very long time in a very bad place. This road is fantastic not open to public. I do have key cause my amigo has a cabin off that road. I can take any nomads on that route.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2020 at 09:19 AM

The massive power lines to Observatories are finished from top. they run under ground next to paved road up. When they go above ground on dirt forest road .They are on tall towers with open aluminum cables to carry power. The crew doing this work must have ran away fast when storm came. As not finished in dirt part with cables just laying on ground. Some places sticking up 2ft off the ground. lots of danger on motos fighting past washouts and cables to grab a foot peg.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 07:36 AM

Following
The last time we drove to the observatory we had to negotiate the construction of the underground power cables. The cables went mostly on the side of the pavement, but many times they just went down the right lane. We were told by the observatory workers that they would be happy to not have to use the generators when the project was complete. Gosh that was a long time ago Jan 2016. See http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81873#pid1019...
It is true at the lower end of the underground power lines they began at overhead power lines that were existing.
Anyway, I seriously doubt it the new power lines are anything more than infrastructure upgrade. I bet the observatory has been connected to the grid for over 4 years.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 09:41 AM

No Paul it has not been hooked up to power lines. Also no on existing power lines. From hwy 1 all new starting like you said years back. New update this morning on gate locked. New route not on melings property . At west end I will find out if Moto only or 4x4 use. Another option the other meling rancho in canyon half way from Mike's. Is old road that was blocked by there new rancho. Can be available to open good road for 4x4 need call Coyote's for that. Family fighting is disgusting ever see what happens . When a head of family dies that has money. It breaks up family forever . As they fight for each penny.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Following
The last time we drove to the observatory we had to negotiate the construction of the underground power cables. The cables went mostly on the side of the pavement, but many times they just went down the right lane. We were told by the observatory workers that they would be happy to not have to use the generators when the project was complete. Gosh that was a long time ago Jan 2016. See http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81873#pid1019...
It is true at the lower end of the underground power lines they began at overhead power lines that were existing.
Anyway, I seriously doubt it the new power lines are anything more than infrastructure upgrade. I bet the observatory has been connected to the grid for over 4 years.

I was up there in October 2017 and there was no sign of cables or trenches. It was already in and paved over, I guess?

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 11:49 AM

The dirt road I use south of paved road up. At that T intersection. After locked gate is the place cable go under ground. When is last time you where there David I need . Give you ride on that route.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 05:49 PM

Another update the first gate from Mike's. Coyote will open there locked gate . Witch is 100ft north of rancho melting gate. So looks like they will have figure out another way to earn 5 bucks.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 09:55 AM

Up date on locked gates the battle between Melings still on. Bypass there gates can be done by calling coyote . As they have other roads on there land . In the mean time there new locked gates are not enforceable. As not legal to block right of way As reported to me large Mexican 4x4 people stuck getting there . Made there own bypass around locked gates . On top of that 95 percent of fence is owned by other ranchos. that have no problem with it being removed for people to pass. I have passed Rancho Melings 3 times to talk to David Owner. He was not home at time to discuss this problem. Since both owners are good Amigos to me. I would like to share a different point of view.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 11:33 AM

Thanks Larry,
Keep trying to get through to David (Meling?) and hopefully something is worked out between Rancho Coyote and Rancho Meling so the land can be free for everyone to enjoy the outdoors!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 03:42 PM

Both owners super nice people family fighting . Very difficult to deal with just makes more problems for both.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2020 at 10:59 AM

Hi off roaders I'm at El coyote for the week. motos and brought the sxs. as of today the new gate is not locked anymore. You keep going towards Mike's stay to rt on road you all know . Christian is building a cabin there with guy living there they have locked gate to pass the rancho. I asked caretaker what does it take to unlock. He said 200 pesos I laughed told him your gate is not the only way to go to Mike's. There is a Y in road before the new house . You take it to Left side very easy to Miss it . it is old route motos easy and my sxs easy . I don't think you can pass with truck. two rocks at bottom . in future with help it could be . worked on for truck to pass
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.