Author: Subject: Corona virus in Vizcaino
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

From FactCheck.org:

Q: Are hospitals inflating the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths so they can be paid more?

A: Recent legislation pays hospitals higher Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients and treatment, but there is no evidence of fraudulent reporting.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-...

Proves what I said that hosptials get more $'s for providing Covid-19 care than other services. A good bit more. And also says they haven't caught them doing it "yet."

Ask anyone who works at a hospital. It's happening.

[Edited on 6-7-2020 by JZ]

All of this nonsense about putting medicare patients on ventilators just to get more money was started by a Minnesota republican being interviewed on Fox News. By that alone, you can assume it is just his opinion with no facts to back up his words. That is how Fox news works. Opinions, NEVER facts.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Everyone in the USA that filed taxes the last two years got paid. I got my $2400 and I put it to good use helping the economy.

Wife and I didn't get anything.

We didn't either and we both know the reason for that. Poor, poor us (insert sarcasm here).
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Why did the tax payers need to give you a bunch of free money?

It's only taxpayer subsidy if he doesn't pay back the loan. Hold off on the lynching till then. :lol:

What I am trying to figure out is the ethical thing to do with those stimulus checks which most of us here didn't need nor apply for. Question for each individual's conscience. :smug:

I'm going to be charitable and help out the Mexican economy. This fall when we go back to BCS I'll buy pesos and spend them in bars and restaurants, and leave hefty tips.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 11:45 AM

I intend to split my wind fall check between Alaska Airlines, and small local businesses. Box stores have done just fine, so non of them need my business for a while!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 05:10 PM

I own a small business since 1981. My business is off by about 50% since March 1st. My company applied for PPP the 2nd time it was offered and we were grateful to get the funds and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I was able to keep 6 people off unemployment and maybe welfare. One of them has worked for me for 21 years. They still have healthcare that we pay for and they are paying their rent, buying diapers for their babies, putting food on the table, paying the light bill, making the car payment, and so forth because the wife and I did not have to lay them off due to lack of enough work and no money to make payroll.

In 39 years of business there have been times where I have lost sleep wondering how I was going to make payroll. That worry is not keeping me up nights lately. There are still challenges ahead for many businesses including mine but right now we are OK.

Not all businesses were able to get help. I wish they could.

"Consumer spending composes about two-thirds of US GDP, which makes jobs, incomes, and consumer confidence vitally important for economic recovery. With higher unemployment than at any time since the Great Depression, and 22 million net jobs lost in March and April, the hit to consumers’ spending power evident in recent economic data might have been significant.

But stimulus efforts helped plug the hole, including direct checks to individuals, unemployment benefits, and financial support for businesses to help them keep employees on their payrolls.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

So 60% goes to employees, but they are taxed on that as income.

The other 40% is now tax free to your company? Not classified as revenue for tax purposes but as a "forgivable" loan? And you can still write off payroll, lease expenses, etc. against revenue? Expenses paid for with that tax free money? Which actually reduces your corporate taxes as a result?

Damn, what a deal. Free taxpayer money and reduced corporate taxes.

Who says Republicans hate welfare?

John

We keep very detailed records on the spend. Setup a separate bank account, etc. In our case, the CFO has it forecast to go 91% to employee payroll.

[Edited on 6-9-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2020 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

What I am trying to figure out is the ethical thing to do with those stimulus checks which most of us here didn't need nor apply for. Question for each individual's conscience. :smug:

Interesting thought....I guess one would just not have to cash it and shred it if they desired. I wonder how many noble people did this? Did you get one, Lencho?

After paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes over a lifetime, why would anyone not take the small pittance?

My son matched his $1,200 and donated $2,400 to worthy causes.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2020 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Interesting thought....I guess one would just not have to cash it and shred it if they desired. I wonder how many noble people did this? Did you get one, Lencho?

After paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes over a lifetime, why would anyone not take the small pittance?

My son matched his $1,200 and donated $2,400 to worthy causes.

What a beautiful thing to do!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2020 at 07:52 AM

"What I am trying to figure out is the ethical thing to do with those stimulus checks which most of us here didn't need nor apply for. Question for each individual's conscience"

Technically, the economic recovery rebate is an advance payment of a special 2020 tax credit. You'll reconcile your rebate on your 2020 return. For most people, the rebate will equal the tax credit allowed.

Ethical dilemma? You're kidding, right?
For tax year 2020 you also don't have to take your IRA RMD either. Your government trying to help us out during a fiscal crisis to keep the economy stable and people employed. And it's working. If your conscience is bothering you, check the boxes on your tax return to donate it.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
I own a small business since 1981. My business is off by about 50% since March 1st. My company applied for PPP the 2nd time it was offered and we were grateful to get the funds and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I was able to keep 6 people off unemployment and maybe welfare. One of them has worked for me for 21 years. They still have healthcare that we pay for and they are paying their rent, buying diapers for their babies, putting food on the table, paying the light bill, making the car payment, and so forth because the wife and I did not have to lay them off due to lack of enough work and no money to make payroll.

In 39 years of business there have been times where I have lost sleep wondering how I was going to make payroll. That worry is not keeping me up nights lately. There are still challenges ahead for many businesses including mine but right now we are OK.

Not all businesses were able to get help. I wish they could.

"Consumer spending composes about two-thirds of US GDP, which makes jobs, incomes, and consumer confidence vitally important for economic recovery. With higher unemployment than at any time since the Great Depression, and 22 million net jobs lost in March and April, the hit to consumers’ spending power evident in recent economic data might have been significant.

But stimulus efforts helped plug the hole, including direct checks to individuals, unemployment benefits, and financial support for businesses to help them keep employees on their payrolls.

You're a good man Charlie Brown!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.