Printable Version  
Author: Subject: No More Green Angels in BCS
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 12:59 PM
No More Green Angels in BCS

Say it ain't so...

https://californiahoy.net/2020/06/17/sacaron-de-circulacion-...
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 01:46 PM

Huge cuts in gov't spending...I'm sure glad Hwy 5 has been completed and the big Hill outa Santo Tomas Valley and all those pot holes near Catavina et cetera!! Until the next storms come along !!

[Edited on 6-18-2020 by tiotomasbcs]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 04:10 PM

Calling private enterprise... Opportunity is alive!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 04:33 PM

Ah yes, the Green Angels
Always somehow reassuring to see them parked alongside the road.
Generally parked alone, having a snack or a cool sip

In 49+ years of trekking up and down the Mex 1 I can truthfully say that I can never remember seeing them actually helping someone.

But hey, great to know that they were on the job and ready to assist.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 04:51 PM

I've seen them assisting folks road side countless times.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 05:00 PM

In 1974 at Cataviña:

In 2004, pushing a truck, east of Ensenada:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

In 49+ years of trekking up and down the Mex 1 I can truthfully say that I can never remember seeing them actually helping someone.

3 years back I was driving my 95’ Suburban from La Paz to PTO San Carlos and the fan belt on my truck broke. One of the Angels pushed me with a tire between our bumpers 30 miles to Las Pocitas.....
I was sooo grateful!

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

According to that article I linked above, "These [austerity] measures imply that the [federal] government will go into hibernation from now till December."

So how do you think private enterprise can step in here?

In a Democracy, whenever there is a vacuum (no "Green Angels") Private-Enterprise inevitably steps in to fill it-----for a price and profit. Someone will figure it out if feasible.

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 09:30 PM

had a guy in a bread truck push me 60 plus miles or so one time with a tire between our bumpers..... he was very happy with th 40 dollars i gave him..... i think everyone will be fine
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2020 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

According to that article I linked above, "These [austerity] measures imply that the [federal] government will go into hibernation from now till December."

In a Democracy, whenever there is a vacuum (no "Green Angels") Private-Enterprise inevitably steps in to fill it-----for a price and profit. Someone will figure it out if feasible.

Bullchit.
If you break down in remote baja, you got 2 options: (1) flag down help from a passing motorist, or a lift to next town, or (2) hang out waiting for private enterprise to fill the vacuum and someone will stop and rob you after sundown.

Doubtful you will find private-enterprise good Samaritans roaming the Baja roads looking for tourists to save for a fee.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-18-2020 at 11:14 PM
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 04:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Bullchit.
If you break down in remote baja, you got 2 options: (1) flag down help from a passing motorist, or a lift to next town, or (2) hang out waiting for private enterprise to fill the vacuum and someone will stop and rob you after sundown.

Doubtful you will find private-enterprise good Samaritans roaming the Baja roads looking for tourists to save for a fee.

Yea, if private enterprise was a solution...you would find people selling gas out of barrels in between those long distant gas stations. Sheesh!:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 08:50 AM

LOL...

Barry A. and paranewbi understand reality... Good replies, and to that I can't add anything more! ;)

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 08:57 AM

Cruising the highway all day burning up gasoline looking for broken down motorists to help is certainly a money-losing proposition.

Sitting on your butt all day hoping to sell 5 gallons of gas now and then might bring in a few dollars once-in-awhile.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 09:07 AM

In the good ole days of traveling Baja, when everybody used to wave at each other, it was an unwritten rule to stop and inquire if you saw a vehicle on the side of the road and ask if they needed help. I've helped, I've received help. Last time I received help (limping on Mex. 1 with a flat tire, trying to get to a spot to pull off), a gringo in a shiny white truck drove past about 60 mph without giving me a glance. Second car that came along was a local, with wife and child. They slowly drove by, took in the situation, stopped on the side of the road ahead and asked if I needed help - and changed my tire. Turned out I had no jack (when did that happen?) - I was so grateful he came along. I think all Baja travelers can step up in some way to fill the Green Angel void.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 09:15 AM
The Price of Free Enterprise

The skeptics have it right on this one.

It's absurd to think that a free-enterprise (profitable) equivalent to the Green Angels could be provided at a cost affordable to those needing the service.

That said, in the past, there has been a private insurance option available providing roadside assistance insurance for travelers between Mexicali and San Felipe. I once (years ago in August) stopped just north of Laguna Salada to assist a motorist who made the error of "thinking" that his oil pan would clear a roadside rock. Having never traveled in Baja before, he (wisely, as it turns out) bought the additional insurance.

I assume, though, that it's unlikely most would take advantage of said insurance if still available.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Cruising the highway all day burning up gasoline looking for broken down motorists to help is certainly a money-losing proposition.

Sitting on your butt all day hoping to sell 5 gallons of gas now and then might bring in a few dollars once-in-awhile.

Bingo!

The time of the Green Angel has probably passed. Once upon a time, the highway was little traveled, and a passing car might take an hour or two. Not so, anymore.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 11:32 AM

hey they're back! part time anyway....

http://www.californiahoyusa.com/2020/06/good-news-green-ange...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
hey they're back! part time anyway....

http://www.californiahoyusa.com/2020/06/good-news-green-ange...

we'll take any good news we can get!:yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.