Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: Junípero Serra statues
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 07:56 AM

What?
I don't use color as a judgement and you know that. You have always related to me that you were harassed at the border and by police because you were black. That was you telling me.
Now, I don't recall any San Quintin talk when we last met, but if you said you got stopped and didn't know why, it would have been natural for me to remind you, what YOU said... that you get harassed for being black.

We took a lot of happy photos before our goodbyes. Doug can verify that there was no uncool talking either.
Finally, if I did upset you, why not reach out to me rather than bring this up here on the forum. We have been friends for 20 years. Color or politics are not a reason I use for friendship determination.

Finally, if I did hurt your feelings unintentionally, then I apologized sincerely. I value friendships and would come to your defence any day.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Racist history and current practices are sure getting the attention long overdue, as you well know, Ken.

I am sure some Nomads will come to the rescue of their pigeon roosts with their form of logic and rationalizing.

Ken,
I posted that the start of this thread.... and sensed the storm (chit) clouds forming.....

Unfortunately, I am not surprised by some of the comments posted.
You have taken a risk here by being honest, self-disclosing, and taking a socially responsible position.

One of the responders , when asked a few years ago on the forum "Who would you most like to meet to have a conversation with?", responded by.....not wanting to have a conversation with great thinkers or someone who has advanced humanity....but wanted to see his high-school football coach and talk with him again.

While I can appreciate that the coach was somehow instrumental in this guy's life, to me it represents the range of scope some folks have.

Myopia and being stuck in a box is a comfortable position for some folks.

I applaud you for entering this forum with a personal experience and effort to stand up for the "right side" of these issues.

Some folks just don't get it..... and you can see who good friends are....and aren't.

Respectfully,
Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
6-25-2020 at 10:21 AM
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 10:30 AM

GED that coach may have had a much larger influence on that person than you think. Not everyone will see it the way you do, people are different.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 10:50 AM

Well, that could have been handled better. Not much Baja travel discussion on this thread.

NEXT.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Well, that could have been handled better. Not much Baja travel discussion on this thread.

NEXT.

probably why its under "baja political forum"
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

NEXT.

probably why its under "baja political forum"

Good point- I never screen the posts like that. Doesnt change the fact that it could have been handled much better.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 12:14 PM

i find the shock some racists display upon being busted amusing. their racism is so much a part of who they are they are caught flatfooted.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 12:31 PM

Some people like to use the race card and call others racist at the drop of a hat. That's one reason why there will never be any real discussion about race. 5,10,20 years down the road nothing will have changed and we'll still have this same discussion.
Oliver

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 01:05 PM

On the question of how the local Baja peninsula population was treated by the missionaries, a good but sad account is provided by the Jesuit Joahann Jakob in "Observations in Lower California" published in 1771. You can find read it on line here: https://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft5r29...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Some people like to use the race card and call others racist at the drop of a hat. That's one reason why there will never be any real discussion about race. 5,10,20 years down the road nothing will have changed and we'll still have this same discussion.

I do believe that there will be discussion unless we all close ourselves off to it. I do feel that there will be change. There has to be. The younger generations will be the ones to help it along. For me personally as an older white (privileged) guy I can be part of the solution by opening up my mind and having the self awareness to admit that people of color are discriminated against all the time even if its not something I am personally exposed to on a daily basis. That's my feeling on the matter.

Keep hope alive.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What?
I don't use color as a judgement and you know that. You have always related to me that you were harassed at the border and by police because you were black. That was you telling me.
Now, I don't recall any San Quintin talk when we last met, but if you said you got stopped and didn't know why, it would have been natural for me to remind you, what YOU said... that you get harassed for being black.

We took a lot of happy photos before our goodbyes. Doug can verify that there was no uncool talking either.
Finally, if I did upset you, why not reach out to me rather than bring this up here on the forum. We have been friends for 20 years. Color or politics are not a reason I use for friendship determination.

Finally, if I did hurt your feelings unintentionally, then I apologized sincerely. I value friendships and would come to your defence any day.

Useless effort DK. Minds are warped with ignorance and emotion and usually one or the other.
The 'Civil War' wasn't over slavery or racism. But none here will avoid it because they don't want to know the causation. They'll just repeat it and call it their own.
Sad day for the Bajanomad and oh well... the USA.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...5,10,20 years down the road nothing will have changed and we'll still have this same discussion.

I see it quite differently.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 02:50 PM

What are you teaching your children... that if history was uncomfortable by current standards it must be destroyed?

slavery must have been very uncomfortable indeed

Harald Pietschmann
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:15 PM

The public call out by Mr Cooke was uncalled for and cowardly.

I like beer, better than most people.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  

bullchit! it takes a lot of courage to call out a long time friend when you know he's wrong, who ever he is. kudo's to Ken
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:29 PM

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't share it.

Kenny is entitled to share his pain publicly. Not how I would have done it, but there you go.

DK apologized and, hopefully, Kenny will accept it and move on.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
What are you teaching your children... that if history was uncomfortable by current standards it must be destroyed?

slavery must have been very uncomfortable indeed

Uncomfortable? A 2 hour plane ride in coach class is uncomfortable. Slavery is an abomination, a sin, a crime, an evil. Honoring the slave owners with statues is also an abomination, a sin, a crime, an evil.

[Edited on 6-26-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

bullchit! it takes a lot of courage to call out a long time friend when you know he's wrong, who ever he is. kudo's to Ken

I agree, except you left out "public".

I like beer, better than most people.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

.... Some things from the past are best left forgotten.

.... and not repeated from the lesson...

Don't believe everything you think....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 08:41 AM

i have never seen any monuments in germany glorifying its darkest chapter....however the average german is well aware of what took place.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.