Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8
Author: Subject: Junípero Serra statues
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
In fact, explain to me exactly how these people are oppressed.

Lee,
I did not say that. Ncampion was the one confused.

[Edited on 6-22-2020 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Explain to me how destroying public property makes life better for any of the "oppressed" people who live in the US? In fact, explain to me exactly how these people are oppressed.

PM me your address, I will have a larger than life set of statues you can proudly display in your front yard. hitler, stalin, pol pot, anyone else you desire?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 07:19 PM

this is a weird forum
some cool Baja info - as long as you keep the map maker out of politics
some inspiring explorers
some stunning photographers/video makers
some wonderful personalities - kind, generous, heartwarming
but also a lot of abrasive old farts who want to be right (wing)
to be fair, the lefties seem to be much mellower
maybe the Davids need to learn surfing

OK - shoot me now

Harald Pietschmann
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 09:20 PM

Why remove your posts?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
In fact, explain to me exactly how these people are oppressed.

Young and ignorant statement, or a nomad having a senior moment.

(I know you wouldn't write the above, ged.)

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 10:14 PM
Obsession with Oppression ?

Being someone who is a 100-percent descendant of European (mainly Irish/English) adventurism, sitting by the pool just this afternoon after a long swim, I was sipping a soda, listening to '60s folk/rock (doing a crossword puzzle) while reflecting upon and weighing the results brought about by centuries of systematic oppressive racism and ....................

Just Kidding. Didn't give it a thought. Feeling NO guilt here.

It's OK for the rest of you to feel bad for what your antecedents (and YOU ?) did, though. Self-Flagellate all you want.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2020 at 11:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Being someone who is a 100-percent descendant of European (mainly Irish/English) adventurism, sitting by the pool just this afternoon after a long swim, I was sipping a soda, listening to '60s folk/rock (doing a crossword puzzle) while reflecting upon and weighing the results brought about by centuries of systematic oppressive racism and ....................

Just Kidding. Didn't give it a thought. Feeling NO guilt here.

It's OK for the rest of you to feel bad for what your antecedents (and YOU ?) did, though. Self-Flagellate all you want.

Been color blind my whole life... Now realizing the world would be better off if they were like me.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 01:52 PM
Color Me Confused ?

Having spent a lifetime intimately indulging in the exploration of the race question ................... I found that it's ALL good.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
this is a weird forum
some cool Baja info - as long as you keep the map maker out of politics
some inspiring explorers
some stunning photographers/video makers
some wonderful personalities - kind, generous, heartwarming
but also a lot of abrasive old farts who want to be right (wing)
to be fair, the lefties seem to be much mellower
maybe the Davids need to learn surfing

OK - shoot me now

good observations, well stated.

[Edited on 6-24-2020 by pacificobob]

[Edited on 6-24-2020 by pacificobob]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 08:43 AM

The pendulum of reform is going to swing farther than it has too as it relates to the symbols people want to see for a historical perspective.

I'm waiting for some one to erect a statue of Darwin. He got it right.

Es Todo Bueno
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 09:02 AM
A New Wave of Great Philosophers Statuary ?

First and foremost should be one of Alfred E. Neuman in every city, town, village, hamlet and collage campus where a course in Nuemanian philosophy should be a part of the core curriculum..

Then, there's Pogo, of course.

Let's get going.

Speaking of going .................... got to. Squirrels y otras to feed.

BTW, arriving back in Silent Valley last Saturday, the "Mandatory" masks, distancing, etc. signs were back up, BUT compliance looked to be somewhere around .001 percent with the enforcers "seeing no evil ..........". Big surprise there. People did scatter and grab masks when a Sheriff's unit came through and gave short bursts on his siren when encountering the unmasked groups.

We'll see what today looks like.

Have fun. Keep working on that Aborigine problem.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 03:27 PM

some of you may be fond of junipero serra.
you can buy statues online, and put them in your garden to join your menagerie of garden gnomes.
this one is only $61:

[Edited on 6-24-2020 by BajaNomad]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 05:53 PM

If it wasn't for the explorers be they slave owners or not none of us would be here. While George Washington and other founders did own slaves one must ask them self was forming a new country called the United States a good thing that over rides everything else about them.
All men and women have their good and bad traits. If you want to go to the extreme maybe burn the constitution and start over. In today's climate how far would we get.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If it wasn't for the explorers be they slave owners or not none of us would be here.

Speak for yourself, Tom. If Dad would have been born in a hospital, my brothers and I would have had our tribal number.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 07:01 PM

If it wasn't for the explorers be they slave owners or not none of us would be here. While George Washington and other founders did own slaves one must ask them self was forming a new country called the United States a good thing that over rides everything else about them.
All men and women have their good and bad traits. If you want to go to the extreme maybe burn the constitution and start over. In today's climate how far would we get.

Your attempt to justify your bigotry racism failed miserably. The end justifies the means?
Did you never attend church and Sunday school?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
If it wasn't for the explorers be they slave owners or not none of us would be here.

Speak for yourself, Tom. If Dad would have been born in a hospital, my brothers and I would have had our tribal number.

Ken, can you please explain this?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
History happened, learn and grow from it... Don't pretend it didn't happen, or burn it, or tear it down... it still happened and the violence manufactured for the CNN tv camera's benefit is doing none of us any good. What are you teaching your children... that if history was uncomfortable by current standards it must be destroyed? How is this any different than the N-zi book burnings?
If a statue is honestly so offensive to today's youth (really sad), then there is a legal process to removing them WITHOUT VIOLENCE.

These statues are public venerations of devils. Tear them down! The legal process put up the statues of the evil people, don’t trust the legal process to reverse their evil decisions.
When people wake up and realize that white men put up statues to honor white supremacists, it is time for minorities to rip down the evil symbols of white supremacy.

[Edited on 6-25-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
History happened, learn and grow from it... Don't pretend it didn't happen, or burn it, or tear it down... it still happened and the violence manufactured for the CNN tv camera's benefit is doing none of us any good. What are you teaching your children... that if history was uncomfortable by current standards it must be destroyed? How is this any different than the N-zi book burnings?
If a statue is honestly so offensive to today's youth (really sad), then there is a legal process to removing them WITHOUT VIOLENCE.

These statues are public venerations of devils. Tear them down! The legal process put up the statues of the evil people, don’t trust the legal process to reverse their evil decisions.
When people wake up and realize that white men put up statues to honor white supremacists, it is time for minorities to rip down the evil symbols of white supremacy.

You sure are a hateful piece of work, Goat
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You sure are a hateful piece of work, Goat

The only hate here is in the hearts of people that erect statues to traitorous, slavery-supporting confederates, Or the people that defend such statues in public spaces.

Burning down monuments to hate is nothing but love

Woke!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Ken, can you please explain this?

My Paternal Grandmother is Cherokee. Her husband - My Grandfather was a mixture if different races, but self-identitied as African American. He was born free in 1888, and his Father was born a slave. My Grandfather wrote a book recounting a story told to him by my Grandmother about the Trail of Tears. Neal Johns (RIP) located the book online nearly 15 years ago through Bob Coffin books in Las Vegas, Nevada. That book, "Trouble On The Trail" was written in 1977 by Charles Cooke. I have a signed copy. I don't know the exact percentage of Cherokee ancestry that I have, but she was Cherokee and my Grandfather had strong Native American features. My Maternal Grandparents were both fully African lineage.

I don't look at slavery as benign, as my Dad gave speeches about conversations he had with his Grandfather who was a slave. Conditions were intolerable and unimaginable - my Great Grandfather was yelled at by his slave owner, and on one particular occasion was punched so hard that he flew backwards off of the mule that he was riding while plowing a field. Slaveowners practiced that level of cruelty that shouldn't be sanitized by the description that TW gives them - really lending them the benefit of the doubt as he likely didn't have relatives that were physically/verbally abused these way my Great Grandfather was.

[Edited on 6-25-2020 by Ken Cooke]
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.