BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Junípero Serra statues
paranewbi
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 912
Registered: 4-15-2011
Location: San diego
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 04:39 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  


Looks similar to what I saw with people burning police cars and police stations. Not the way to do it. But time will tell what happens here in the end. I hope for the best for ALL Americans.


Taking the knee at NFL games was also stated as, "Not the way to do it." So, if non-violent, silent protest is, "Not the way to do it" and not setting your children atop a topled Serra statue is, "Not the way to do it", then what is the "right way"? for urgent, social/structural change?


How about teaching your children that your opinion doesn't matter where you work...your there to work! And do it well as EXPECTED. If your talented enough to make big bucks where few do then count your blessings and thank your boss for the opportunity...don't risk his well being (business) for your personal BS. Because that's what you bring to him.

IF you want to have your say about the past then accept that your past will be in question also...and more and more that is evident by what you posted on the internet, not what was written in a history book or exhibited in public. Good luck defending your sins in the public forum...unless you think you don't have any, just wait and someone will eventually point it out.

View user's profile
mtgoat666
Platinum Nomad
********




Posts: 13116
Registered: 9-16-2006
Location: San Diego
Member Is Offline

Mood: Very stable genius!

[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 04:45 PM


Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  


Looks similar to what I saw with people burning police cars and police stations. Not the way to do it. But time will tell what happens here in the end. I hope for the best for ALL Americans.


Taking the knee at NFL games was also stated as, "Not the way to do it." So, if non-violent, silent protest is, "Not the way to do it" and not setting your children atop a topled Serra statue is, "Not the way to do it", then what is the "right way"? for urgent, social/structural change?


How about teaching your children that your opinion doesn't matter where you work...your there to work! And do it well as EXPECTED. If your talented enough to make big bucks where few do then count your blessings and thank your boss for the opportunity...don't risk his well being (business) for your personal BS. Because that's what you bring to him.

IF you want to have your say about the past then accept that your past will be in question also...and more and more that is evident by what you posted on the internet, not what was written in a history book or exhibited in public. Good luck defending your sins in the public forum...unless you think you don't have any, just wait and someone will eventually point it out.



Perhaps you angry old white Football fans should be less sensitive. Don’t be a snowflake that gets enraged every time you see a more-successful black man express an opinion you don’t like!




Make America DECENT Again!

Resist!

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

BLM

View user's profile
pacificobob
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1146
Registered: 4-23-2006
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 05:15 PM


X2 goat.
View user's profile
Tioloco
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 687
Registered: 7-30-2014
Member Is Online


[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 05:36 PM


Goat and Pacifico-

You guys are sad. Continually inserting false narrative to cover your own bias. People like you are why this country is so divided. Real pieces of work. If you were young, there would be hope for you. Unfortunately, the world has passed you by and you will be soon forgotten in the dust.
Oops... Did I say “Unfortunately” ?
Even I make mistakes from time to time.
View user's profile
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 10065
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 10:36 PM


Change takes time, a long time, it's like eating an elephant one bite at a time. I think the protesters want it all at once and I don't think that's going to happen. We had a black president for 8 years, what really has changed during that time. One way to look at it was that Trump was elected.
View user's profile
Ken Cooke
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8859
Registered: 2-9-2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Black Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 11:15 PM


The protesters goal was to lessen and/or eliminate the impact Junipero Serra's reign had on the physical and emotional well-being of the people who were exposed to his proselytizing and foreign lifestyle. The Indigenous people were described in the video as, "...disgusting..." and this self-hatred has been internalized for generations - according to the narrator of the Los Angeles video. These protests are born out of a desire for a better life both for the protesters as well as the children in attendance at the protests. 46% of the American population is now unemployed, so "Working hard and pleasing your boss" sounds nice, but the narrator's goal is removing a generational grasp that was placed on her people - something more profound than a mere pat on the back at the workplace. This action goes much deeper.
View user's profile
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad
********




Posts: 21542
Registered: 8-20-2003
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 10:26 AM
Can't We ALL Just Get Along ?


While I can certainly understand AND agree with the position that those F-ing Friars "might" not properly be objects of historical adoration, at the same time I am unequivocally opposed to the lawless activities engaged in by the mob and would like to see everyone caught subject to serious jail time as a lesson to others.

The same is true of the Confederate symbols (in effect) celebrating a treasonous period attempting to preserve the unpardonable sin of slavery.

Remove those symbols through lawful political action. Jail the criminals.

As an (humorous ?) aside, although I find those who embrace the whole "Confederate" legacy a bunch of ignorant, racist hicks, my penchant for needling those who go nutty over the question too easy a target to ignore.

SO .................. I checked EBay this a.m. for some 5" x 3" (postcard-size) Confederate Flag Decals. NO LUCK. ALL novelty items of that sort GONE. No problema, though. I found numerous otra sources and ordered a quantity to send out now and then or paste in various locations as whimsy dictates.

" Double, double toil and trouble .......... Fire burn and caldron bubble.
For a charm of powerful trouble .......... Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

Fun is where you find it.
View user's profile
Don Pisto
Nomad
**




Posts: 248
Registered: 8-1-2018
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 10:39 AM


Mexico re-brands 1520 Spanish defeat as 'Victorious Night'
Associated Press Associated Press•June 30, 2020
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Officials in Mexico City held a small ceremony and unveiled a plaque Tuesday to re-brand the way the 1520 defeat of Spanish conquistadores in Mexico's capital has been remembered.

For centuries, Mexicans called June 30, 1520 “La Noche Triste,” or the “Sad Night,” the name given to it by the eventually victorious Spaniards. That was because hundreds of Spaniards and their Indigenous allies died when Hernán Cortés and his troops fled the increasingly rebellious Aztec capital, now Mexico City.

On Tuesday, Mexico City officials unveiled a plaque and banners celebrating the Spanish defeat, calling it “The Victorious Night.”

The ceremony is symbolic of how Mexicans have struggled with how to mark the 500th anniversary of the 1519-1521 Conquest.

At that time, Aztec warriors under their new leader, Cuitláhuac, attacked the Spaniards as they fled from the island city of Tenochtitlan, across a narrow causeway.

Once they reached dry land, Cortés reportedly sat and wept under a tree. The original “Tree of the Sad Night” was later burned.

But on Monday, city Culture Secretary José Alfonso Suárez del Real y Aguilera planted a small tree of the same kind — a Montezuma cypress — at the site and unveiled the “Victorious Night” plaque.

“Let’s break with these legends of sadness and tears, and recognize the strength, the courage and the audacity of the Mexica peoples who stood up the invaders,” Suárez del Real y Aguilera said.

Drawing a parallel with the current coronavirus pandemic, he urged Mexicans to remember that the Aztecs were defeated as much by smallpox and other European diseases that the Spanish brought, as by their swords. “Let’s recognize that, if it hadn’t of been for the smallpox, the Conquest surely would not have been as easy and simple as it was to cruelly attack people dying of hunger and an unknown disease.”

The fleeing Spaniards dropped some of the gold they had looted from the Aztec capital, then known as Tenochtitlán. Some of the gold was later found and was tested recently, confirming it was likely Aztec gold.

Cortés retreated from Mexico City, regrouped, gained more Indigenous allies and in 1521 returned to conquer the Aztec capital. The Spaniards went on to conquer the rest of Mexico in the ensuing years.

Mexico has struggled with how to mark the 500th anniversary of the conquest, which resulted in the death of a large part of the country’s pre-Hispanic population.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has demanded an apology from Spain for abuses committed during the conquest.





there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
View user's profile
SFandH
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 5675
Registered: 8-5-2011
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 11:50 AM


Interesting, thanks. Good for AMLO!



Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
View user's profile
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad
********




Posts: 21542
Registered: 8-20-2003
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 12:30 PM
Getting it Done and Getting us Together Again


To Heck with halfway measures. EVERY country accused of historical oppression should issue a Mass Mea Culpa. The UN would be an appropriate venue.

Something like:

"WE [insert offending peoples] DO HEREBY APOLOGIZE AND ASK FORGIVENESS FOR EVERY HISTORICAL EVIL PERPETRATED BY ANY OF OUR ANTECEDENTS ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME !

They could even engrave it on a memorial plaque and present it (on bended knee, of course) to be enshrined on a towering (nonwhite) Obelisk . Perhaps in Geneva. With a chorus formed by representatives from each offending nation singing " .......... Come on people now, Smile on your brother, Everybody get together, Try to love one another, Right now ..........."

There could be a cathartic annual "World Weeping Day" to atone for the sins of history.

This could work. Let's all get on that Bus to righteous realization and rapprochement.

Then move on.
View user's profile
pacificobob
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1146
Registered: 4-23-2006
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 02:20 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Goat and Pacifico-

You guys are sad. Continually inserting false narrative to cover your own bias. People like you are why this country is so divided. Real pieces of work. If you were young, there would be hope for you. Unfortunately, the world has passed you by and you will be soon forgotten in the dust.
Oops... Did I say “Unfortunately” ?
Even I make mistakes from time to time.


feelers hurt?
View user's profile
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad
********




Posts: 21140
Registered: 8-9-2009
Location: Mission Viejo
Member Is Offline

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 08:06 PM


Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
To Heck with halfway measures. EVERY country accused of historical oppression should issue a Mass Mea Culpa. The UN would be an appropriate venue.

Something like:

"WE [insert offending peoples] DO HEREBY APOLOGIZE AND ASK FORGIVENESS FOR EVERY HISTORICAL EVIL PERPETRATED BY ANY OF OUR ANTECEDENTS ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME !

They could even engrave it on a memorial plaque and present it (on bended knee, of course) to be enshrined on a towering (nonwhite) Obelisk . Perhaps in Geneva. With a chorus formed by representatives from each offending nation singing " .......... Come on people now, Smile on your brother, Everybody get together, Try to love one another, Right now ..........."

There could be a cathartic annual "World Weeping Day" to atone for the sins of history.

This could work. Let's all get on that Bus to righteous realization and rapprochement.

Then move on.


The only problem ... This is a logical approach, therefore a non-starter :biggrin::biggrin:

Thinking Trona :lol::lol:
View user's profile
Ken Cooke
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8859
Registered: 2-9-2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Black Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 09:16 PM


Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
We had a black president for 8 years, what really has changed during that time. One way to look at it was that Trump was elected.


Police began wearing body cams during Obama's presidency. For Law Enforcement, that is a big step forward. Gay marriage was ruled legal by the Supreme Court.

Currently, there are Confederate statues being brought down by municipalities around the country - BIG. John Wayne Airport is looking like it will be renamed. The Sports Team name that doubles for a racial epithet is being changed. Even Jeep SUVs are looking to get name changes.

But, this is small stuff in comparison to the justice that is being given to the family a Ahmad Aubrey as his case was all but closed, and his killers were walking around as free men in Georgia. George Floyd's murderers are jailed is a large jump in criminal justice reform.
View user's profile
David K
Honored Nomad
*********


Avatar


Posts: 58973
Registered: 8-30-2002
Location: San Diego County
Member Is Offline

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 10:52 PM


So, will this be the death of the Jeep Cherokee, 1974-2021?





"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

Baja Missions On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/

Over 80 Baja Bound Travel Adventure articles: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

Visit Viva Baja, to help you plan your next adventure: http://VivaBaja.com

My 30 (2018) Baja Maps: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771
View user's profile Visit user's homepage
motoged
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 5841
Registered: 7-31-2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Member Is Offline

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 08:44 AM


Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So, will this be the death of the Jeep Cherokee, 1974-2021?



I don't think so ....they die all on their own. :biggrin:




Don't believe everything you think....
View user's profile
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad
********




Posts: 21542
Registered: 8-20-2003
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-7-2020 at 08:07 AM
Sore over Serra ?


I think that a BOLO should be put out on Junipero y Amigos. Given their outfits, they should be easy to spot.

Anyone encountering him or any of his Friar Tuck followers in their hometowns or travels should hold those Papist Padres to account.

Demand that they explain themselves.

Let us know what they have to say.
View user's profile
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

  Go To Top

 






All Content Copyright � 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.
Powered by XMB; XMB Forum Software © 2001-2014 The XMB Group�






"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Ivan R. Misner, Ph.D

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you." - Jim Rohn







Thank you to Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services for your long-term support of the BajaNomad.com Forums site.







Emergency Baja Contacts Include:

Desert Hawks; El Rosario-based ambulance transport; Emergency #: (616) 103-0262