Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: form when Police ask for mordida
ranpar01
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 10:55 AM
form when Police ask for mordida

Hi All,
A few years back I found a very handy form (in English and Spanish) which was put out by some tourist organization or other. It was very simple, just said in English and Spanish that paying fines on the spot is illegal and that if I did something wrong write me a ticket and I'll mail in the fine. It listed the relevant Mexico law code as well I think. I had printed it out and carried it while driving in Baja, but now can't find it for this trip - and I also can't find that website with the original. Anyone know that form and where I can find it again? thanks! leaving in a few days, will put out trip report once I'm at the finish line. Reno -> Mexicali -> Todos/Los Barriles via 5
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 11:32 AM

Just pay it and be on your way.

One of the fun things about MX.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 11:34 AM

Something Sindicatura?

I was pulled over in Mexicali a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I've ever gotten pulled over and a bribe was solicited. The office told me that I had done something wrong, and he waited for me to pay him a bribe. I didn't. He said he had to take me to the station. I said to him that "you have to do what you have to do." He said to proceed in front of him to the station, and he would give me directions. And so we went. After 7 or 8 minutes of driving like this, the officer abandoned me for another victim. I wished I knew where the police station was so that I could complain that I was abandoned!
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, I'd be curious to know how it went if anyone has actually tried this - short-circuiting the mordida game by presenting a printed no-mordida form to a bribe-seeking cop :O

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
ranpar01
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 11:35 AM

I found it:

https://www.discoverbaja.com/wp-content/uploads/TRAFFIC-VIOL...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 11:59 AM

Baffle them with bullchit.
Give them a W-4 form, tell them to fill it out, then tell them you will keep 30% of bribe to file the scamsters tax payment.
They will not want to play a part in your lunacy, and will let you go.

or better yet, drive per the rules and they wont stop you.
every time i was stopped, i was at fault.

i think 99% of people that say they were stopped for no violation are just bad drivers that cant recognize their bad driving.

there are so many moving violations committed by gringos, why would they create a false violation when they could wait 5 minutes and catch a real violator?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Something Sindicatura?

I was pulled over in Mexicali a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I've ever gotten pulled over and a bribe was solicited. The office told me that I had done something wrong, and he waited for me to pay him a bribe. I didn't. He said he had to take me to the station. I said to him that "you have to do what you have to do." He said to proceed in front of him to the station, and he would give me directions. And so we went. After 7 or 8 minutes of driving like this, the officer abandoned me for another victim. I wished I knew where the police station was so that I could complain that I was abandoned!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 12:37 PM

BigBearRider - you were abandoned???!!! by the cops? Hahahaha

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 01:03 PM

Mike's stickers

http://www.mikestickers.com/countries/mexico/SIND-1001.htm
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
BigBearRider - you were abandoned???!!! by the cops? Hahahaha

It was horrible.

Many years ago, I rode my motorcycle to South America. I got pulled over many times in Honduras and Nicaragua. I patted myself on the back for never paying anything. Until I met a Canadian guy in Costa Rica who also never paid anything, simply because he did not understand a single word of Spanish. He just shrugged when spoken to. It took him a little longer to get out of each situation, but he never paid.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 03:20 PM

i have a couple buddies i ride with that have ZERO Spanish. we have one of these do all the "talking" at the checkpoints. [some of the ones in remote chihuahua and durango staffed by serious fellows in plain clothes..really concludes business in a expeditious manner. there is a huge advantage in certain circumstances fo not speaking their language.

[Edited on 6-24-2020 by pacificobob]
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 05:23 PM

Once you pay a bribe, you make it worse for everybody - including yourself. Say "I don't understand" and ask to go to the office. This is the one time it is best to not understand ANY Spanish at all.

Really... it's just not that hard. But... if you are one of those nasty Norte Americanos who think you can speed, run stop signs, drive drunk and generally do whatever the the f*ck you think you can do down here - please go home.

Just have a little respect for the local people, for the local law enforcement. Say "Yes, sir", Yes Ma'am", be polite, smile and if you are in the right - everything will work out just fine. If you are not "in the right", fess up and pay whatever is required - at the office.

There are SOOOOO many BS stories about mordida that I think the first thing most USA-ians do when they see a cop is take out their wallet and shaking in fear open it, and say "Take what you want!" - then later they talk about a "shake down" BS. period. BS.

I've lived abroad for over 30 yeas in six different countries. Never a problem. Never. Doesn't mean it can't/ won't happen, but I have come to believe it is up to you how that interaction goes. Even bad people and even bad cops, are not bad all the time.

I've heard BS "shake down" stories everywhere - even BS like "The bus I was on was gassed and everyone went to sleep and was robbed" kind of BS.

Come on. Get real. Grow up. Be just a little responsible for yourself.

Bad things can happen, but as a mature, culturally skilled ADULT, you can exert a great amount of influence on that interaction. If you are not a "mature, culturally skilled ADULT" - don't leave home.

Yes, I've met bad, nasty cops - three times - sadly - in the USofA. And I feared for my liberty and safety each time. And it all worked out.

Stay calm. Smile. Cooperate. Wait for an English speaker if they can provide one. Good communication at that point in time is critical.

I know people will pimp me endlessly for this comment, so be it. Just don't expect your life to work in another country. Away from your safe nest. So sad to have to rant about that...
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 08:17 PM

Well said, TedZark. I've never paid a bribe. Always smiled and removed my helmet (if riding).

The worst cops I have encountered have been in the US, but that could be a sampling error given that I have driven more in the US. In any event, I've had three pretty bad experiences including two perjurers and one cop who had his hand on his gun the entire time. And I had done nothing wrong, and know how to act to avoid getting murdered by most cops.

I have of course also had experiences with cops that were good. My favorite being when I was speeding on my motorcycle and needed to pee really, really bad. The cop was on a motorcycle, and I asked him if I could run down the embankment to pee and not get into more trouble. After I came back, the cop asked me if I was speeding because I needed to pee and I truthfully confirmed the same and told him the restroom I had in mind was about half a mile away. He then let me go.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 05:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Once you pay a bribe, you make it worse for everybody - including yourself.

I agree completely. Only YOU can prevent corruption, like wildfires.

John
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 05:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Once you pay a bribe, you make it worse for everybody - including yourself. Say "I don't understand" and ask to go to the office. This is the one time it is best to not understand ANY Spanish at all.

Really... it's just not that hard. But... if you are one of those nasty Norte Americanos who think you can speed, run stop signs, drive drunk and generally do whatever the the f*ck you think you can do down here - please go home.

Just have a little respect for the local people, for the local law enforcement. Say "Yes, sir", Yes Ma'am", be polite, smile and if you are in the right - everything will work out just fine. If you are not "in the right", fess up and pay whatever is required - at the office.

There are SOOOOO many BS stories about mordida that I think the first thing most USA-ians do when they see a cop is take out their wallet and shaking in fear open it, and say "Take what you want!" - then later they talk about a "shake down" BS. period. BS.

I've lived abroad for over 30 yeas in six different countries. Never a problem. Never. Doesn't mean it can't/ won't happen, but I have come to believe it is up to you how that interaction goes. Even bad people and even bad cops, are not bad all the time.

I've heard BS "shake down" stories everywhere - even BS like "The bus I was on was gassed and everyone went to sleep and was robbed" kind of BS.

Come on. Get real. Grow up. Be just a little responsible for yourself.

Bad things can happen, but as a mature, culturally skilled ADULT, you can exert a great amount of influence on that interaction. If you are not a "mature, culturally skilled ADULT" - don't leave home.

Yes, I've met bad, nasty cops - three times - sadly - in the USofA. And I feared for my liberty and safety each time. And it all worked out.

Stay calm. Smile. Cooperate. Wait for an English speaker if they can provide one. Good communication at that point in time is critical.

I know people will pimp me endlessly for this comment, so be it. Just don't expect your life to work in another country. Away from your safe nest. So sad to have to rant about that...

well said ted
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:57 AM

"Once you pay a bribe, you make it worse for everybody"
I totally agree. I was at an event focused on Baja, so all in attendance had an interest in Baja. Was talking to the couple at my table who traveled in Baja with a motorhome. She said when the military inspectors come onboard to do their thing, "we have to pay them". Whaaat? I asked, what for? And she just shrugged. That's what the inspectors will come to expect.
However, ranpar, see the message a few days ago reporting armed robberies on the highway From GN to Vizcaino. That stretch also subject to speeding violations.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 09:18 AM

Unfortunately way too many people believe what they see in the movies. They truly have no idea how the world really works. It's a shame God gave them enough money to come down here.
ranpar01
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"Once you pay a bribe, you make it worse for everybody"
I totally agree. I was at an event focused on Baja, so all in attendance had an interest in Baja. Was talking to the couple at my table who traveled in Baja with a motorhome. She said when the military inspectors come onboard to do their thing, "we have to pay them". Whaaat? I asked, what for? And she just shrugged. That's what the inspectors will come to expect.
However, ranpar, see the message a few days ago reporting armed robberies on the highway From GN to Vizcaino. That stretch also subject to speeding violations.

Thanks, yes - i agree paying the bribe just makes it worst for everyone, that's why I have always carried that form to hand over with my insurance. It says (in Spanish) I'm not paying any bribes right up front. Cop will move on to greener pastures hopefully. I'll be careful past GN for sure and won't drive at night. I heard a very scary cop (maybe fake cop) robbery that went down in Todos Santos as well. I think with COVID a lot of locals are hurting and might be a slight uptick in theft etc.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Just pay it and be on your way.

One of the fun things about MX.

x2.

Don't believe anyone moralizing that paying morbida makes it worse for others. No one knows that and it's not proven. Its a sound bite.

Or, it could be a common good theory. I'm not paying mordida and making it better for anyone after me. Bull.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:26 PM

x3, I like the system just the way it is....:coolup: do what you want

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.