Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cell Phone service
ChrisandSandy

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 08:47 PM
Cell Phone service

Hello,
I am planning (date tbd) a motorcycle trip from Mexicali to Cabo San Lucas, Via Federal routes 5 to Route 1.
Can anyone tell me about the cell phone service. I currently have AT&T.
Thanks in advance.
-Chris
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisandSandy  
Hello,
I am planning (date tbd) a motorcycle trip from Mexicali to Cabo San Lucas, Via Federal routes 5 to Route 1.
Can anyone tell me about the cell phone service. I currently have AT&T.
Thanks in advance.
-Chris

Att roams well in baja. Just activate your intl service before you leave.
Cell service only exists in/near towns. And some of the really small towns have no service.
Central Baja is rural, sometimes you drive for an hour or 3 with no town, no service.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 6-24-2020 at 10:15 PM

The Goat is right.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 07:27 AM

hwy 5
North of San Felipe there are many stretches with dead spots
South of San Felipe it is even worse until you get way south.
If you have to communicate get an Inreach or the latest SPOT. Both are satellite and work everywhere.
If you are using your phone for maps be sure to load the maps for offline use. Works great and required in Baja.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 08:48 AM

I have AT&T service as well but I do have some type of North America Plan that I find very inexpensive.

Every drive down I am amazed how good the service is and how much service is available. Yes, there are stretches that it does not work but for the most part you will be fine.

That has been my experience but going down highway #1 all the way.

[Edited on 6-25-2020 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-25-2020 at 09:39 AM
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 12:48 PM

I have ATT&T, and it works a lot better than Verizon in Baja. Not as good in the states though.
ChrisandSandy

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 09:47 PM

Thanks for all of the great feedback. It sounds like I will stick with AT&T, and maybe get a satellite communication device to supplement, for texts and emergency communication when I'm in more rural locations.
Thanks again.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 08:47 AM

Go ahead and get the satellite device if it gives you peace of mind, but my experience has been that if you are traveling the federal highway you will never be remote from someone passing who will stop and render aid if you break down or need other assistance. Gringos on vacation might buzz by at 80 mph, but the Mexicans will almost always stop to help.
Other than that, its kind of nice to be off grid now and then. You can always catch up on texts and such when you arrive at the next town.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisandSandy  
Thanks for all of the great feedback. It sounds like I will stick with AT&T, and maybe get a satellite communication device to supplement, for texts and emergency communication when I'm in more rural locations.
Thanks again.

turn off your phone for the entire vacation. why would you want to ruin a vacation by carrying a smart phone and being annoyed by texts, emails and calls?
train your coworkers, family and friends to not expect a response when you are on vacation.
the road down baja is not very complicated -- it is one paved road, and a few towns and small cities along the way. get a paper map, and use it, and turn off the gps. exploration and adventure will happen when you turn off the navigation app and think for yourself, take the unknown road because it looks interesting, and talk to people along the way for directions.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.