Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: MEXICALI PORT OF ENTRY CLOSED
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 08:51 PM
MEXICALI PORT OF ENTRY CLOSED

Arrived at southbound east crossing today at 6:30 PM and found it closed. It appeared the truck lane was still allowing traffic. Drove over to the west and found Imperial Avenue Grid locked without any movement. The line was backed up nearly two miles to the north and as far as I could see to the west. I would imagine they were possibly screening and letting the workers back home and denying all of the rest.
So, tomorrow morning it’s back to NorCal we go. I’ll try again in October!

[Edited on 6-27-2020 by BajaParrothead]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 12:04 AM

CONTINUARÁ ESTE FIN DE SEMANA OPERATIVO GARITAS-FILTROS SANITARIOS • 2020-06-26

https://www.mexicali.gob.mx/XXIII/noticiasView.php?g=1573

Browser translation:

"In continuity with the actions to combat the COVID-19, the Mayor of Mexicali Marina del Pilar Ávila Olmeda, announced that this weekend the "Inspection Garitas- Sanitary Filters" operation will be carried out again at the border crossings. Central, Eastern, Los Algodones and San Luis Rio Colorado zones.

The Municipal President indicated that in a joint effort of the Municipal Government, National Guard, SEDENA, Customs and the Health Sector, last weekend the first of these operations was carried out, which aims to control the entry of foreigners and citizens to the city for tourism or non-essential activities, as well as avoiding the excessive introduction of beers, wines and spirits.

In addition to establishing a sanitary filter to detect people with symptoms of COVID-19, to be channeled to a doctor for evaluation, and in the same way verify that they have all the preventive measures such as mouth covers and protection supplies.

He reported that the operation will remain throughout the weekend, starting this Friday, June 26 from 2:00 PM in Garita Centro and San Luis.

Similarly, in the Garitas de Los Algodones and Oriente, the inspection day will be from 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM."

[Edited on 6-27-2020 by SFandH]

[Edited on 6-27-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 02:49 AM

Why give up so easily? Why no go through Tecate (before the 2:00 PM closing time), or Otay Mesa, or San Ysidro?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 03:08 AM

Well that just takes the cake. Baja Sur is open for tourism but folks will not be able to get into the country? Or do you have to prove you have a reservation somewhere? Confusing to say the least.

I was hoping my family could come and visit, but maybe not.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 04:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Why give up so easily? Why no go through Tecate (before the 2:00 PM closing time), or Otay Mesa, or San Ysidro?

After sleeping on it, I think we’ll try Tecate.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Well that just takes the cake. Baja Sur is open for tourism but folks will not be able to get into the country? Or do you have to prove you have a reservation somewhere? Confusing to say the least.

I was hoping my family could come and visit, but maybe not.

Currently, it's just Mexicali and just the weekend. The reason is the high infection rate in Imperial county, I guess.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 07:06 AM

Just now, the local news reports that Gavin Newsom has announced the stay at home order is re-instated for Imperial county!

The municipality of Mexicali includes San Felipe, I wonder if there are new procedures there as well?

[Edited on 6-27-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 09:05 AM

Don't have a direct reference, but I thought I saw a notice that said the Mexicali East crossing was closed at 2:00pm every day.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 09:19 AM

You can read what the cachanillas (nickname for those from Mexicali) have to say here in the "comments".

https://www.facebook.com/TelevisaMexicaliCanal4

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Only US side closes at 2pm for northbound travel. Mexican side is keeping normal hours. 6am-11pm.
SuperScrappy

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 11:17 AM

The borders are closing early due to COVID. When you try to contact someone to find hours, we got the run around and could never speak with anyone. Mexicali east and Algodones close at 2pm. Lukeville is also closing early too. My husband arrived there at 8:30pm and it was closed. Just be aware and plan ahead for early border closures
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 11:26 AM

Dang. Thanks for info.

Rolling up to the border and finding gridlock at the crossing due to an unexpected delay is always a bummer, whether you are crossing northbound, or southbound.
It usually resolves itself, this time, who knows? half a million dead world wide and climbing.
I had been thinking about taking a quick trip across the border, now another reason to sit around the house like I have been doing for the last three months.

[Edited on 6-27-2020 by bajaric]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 01:09 PM

El Centro is one of the worst Rona hot spot in the state

Es Todo Bueno
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 01:49 PM

Imperial valley is a hot spot, test positive rate has skyrocketed over 25%. I would not be surprised to see Mexico shut border xing on imperial valley region.
Arizona is spiking too, as the flat earth earthers (plandemic conspiracy theorists) are rejecting masks and thereby swapping spittle, and bound to see disease spread like wildfire... so expecting CA and Mex will close border with AZ??

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Don't have a direct reference, but I thought I saw a notice that said the Mexicali East crossing was closed at 2:00pm every day.

Their sign said closed from midnight to 6:00 AM, but they probably modified the time for COVID.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 06:53 PM

As suggested, Tecate was a breeze. No one else going in at 7:00 AM.
The Sanitary Filter in Guadalupe is very well marked, but was not manned this morning. No other filters so far to Guerrero Negro.
Traffic is extremely light on 1, with mostly locals and semis.
I’ll finish the second half tomorrow night when we hit Barriles.
SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 07:01 PM

I was getting ready to cross at Mexicali at 10pm. I usually cross near Imperial ave. Do you know if this crossing is closed as well?
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SDROB  
I was getting ready to cross at Mexicali at 10pm. I usually cross near Imperial ave. Do you know if this crossing is closed as well?

The length of the line we saw before sunset looked like it was going to be a 3-4 hour wait. My backup plan was to attempt to cross at 5:30 AM, but after reading what SF and H posted, I opted for Tecate and it worked great. Ended up going through Ensenada and traffic was very slow through Comandu Valley. I prefer Mex 5, but I’d already driven from Calexico to Tecate, so I opted to continue down the valley.
SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I’m headed thru now. I should be there by 10. Will see what happens.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 04:21 AM

What a great turn of events, you made it across the border! Have fun in Los Barriles!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.