Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: MEXICALI PORT OF ENTRY CLOSED
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 09:19 AM

Video of the checkpoint yesterday. One comment mentioned 6 hours to get into Mex, 6 PM until midnight. Many of the comments indicated that a lot of beer is being confiscated. Also, a considerable number commented that the filter is a good idea. And there are many against it.

The maximum is 12 beers. I don't know if that is per person or per car.

https://www.facebook.com/TelevisaMexicaliCanal4/videos/26961...

[Edited on 6-28-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 09:49 PM

From Guerrero Negro to Los Barriles this morning went smoothly. San Ignacio military checkpoint consisted of the usual "where from and where to" questions and he waved us on.
Loreto sanitary filters were manned at each end of town, but they weren't stopping anyone at either one. Sanitary filter in Constitucion was the same, manned but not checking. Third sanitary filter was north side of La Paz and he stopped us and just asked where we were going and where we came from. No temp check or request for documentation. His parting comment was "welcome home sir."

All in all, it was one of the least intrusive travels we've had in Baja.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
What a great turn of events, you made it across the border! Have fun in Los Barriles!

Thanks Blanca. Pulled into town at 5:30 and it's been busy. Lots of work to do around here, so hopefully I'll get to put a line in the water before heading north in August. We are laying low for the first two weeks, just in case we picked something up along the way. Plenty to do here to keep my home! :no:
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 04:57 PM

Anyone know if it is still closed? Wondering how I can find out what hours.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
Anyone know if it is still closed? Wondering how I can find out what hours.

Did you need clarification on the info already posted to the thread? Thx.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 07:51 PM

https://calexicochronicle.com/2020/06/calexico-local-news/se...

English Calexico news story. 7 hr back up this passed weekend!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
https://calexicochronicle.com/2020/06/calexico-local-news/se...

English Calexico news story. 7 hr back up this passed weekend!

What they are doing at the sanitary filter...

News reports out of Canal 66 in Mexicali on June 28 showed photos and film footage of Mexican officials running infrared thermometers over the foreheads of all occupants of each car passing through the port.

In addition to temperature scans and checking for other COVID-19 symptoms, each car is also being checked for four other things, according to the letter to Beltran.

Mexican authorities are checking for use of face coverings; that no more than two people are in a vehicle at the same time; the purpose of the visit to Mexicali (verifying residency or “essential business”); and limited possession of alcoholic beverages.

Although the letter does not say so, it is suspected that those in violation of the any of the listed terms, including prior curfews instituted by the mayor, could be subject to arrest, fine or confiscation of alcoholic beverages, which is what Mexicali Mayor Avila Olmeda said in a prior late May advisory.

“Authorities will verify that the persons subject to review prove their Mexican address or nationality, (and) failure to do so, they will be subject to fines ranging from $3,475 to $17,376 pesos, or up to 36 hours of arrest,” the June 25 letter stated.

Gerardo explained the alcohol crackdown was instituted after COVID began surging in Mexicali due to “parties” and “gatherings,” he said.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 01:02 AM
Again this weekend, starting Thursday

mexicali.jpg - 62kB

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 01:20 PM
Any update on this topic?

Mainly, are the San Luis, Algodones, and Calexico East crossings still closed to southbound traffic? Is the Calexico west crossing delay getting better, or worse?

I tried a web search but have not found useful current info. If anybody can recommend a site for southbound traffic, I would appreciate it.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 02:14 PM

Follow this website, it might have some info.

https://noticiasmexicali.mx/

I wonder how many gringos are heading for San Felipe this weekend that don't know what's happening at the border.

AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 02:25 PM

Will Tecate be an easier wait? Can not figure out Mexicalli
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Follow this website, it might have some info.

https://noticiasmexicali.mx/

I wonder how many gringos are heading for San Felipe this weekend that don't know what's happening at the border.

Not just the border! One of the news item in the link you just provided (and thank you for it) states that tourists will be denied entry into San Felipe.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 02:29 PM

So 6 hours to cross the border, drive to San Felipe, and be told to go back.

There will be fireworks, of sorts.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
Will Tecate be an easier wait? Can not figure out Mexicalli

When? Probably best to enjoy the 4th of July weekend wherever you are now.

AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 08:40 PM

Have a house in Baja, want to enjoy it there.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 08:44 PM

I drove through Mexicali crossing yesterday without any issues at all and there were very few gringos. No one in line for a tourist visa. Almost no traffic on the road to San Felipe.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
I drove through Mexicali crossing yesterday without any issues at all and there were very few gringos. No one in line for a tourist visa. Almost no traffic on the road to San Felipe.

Interesting....I guess it is a day by day thing! How was San Felipe, or did you just pass through on the highway?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 07:33 AM

The temperature, mask, essential travel, max 2 people in the car, and alcohol checks start today and go through Sunday at Mexicali east and west, Algodones, and San Luis Rio Colorado.

This came up on my Facebook news feed, or whatever it's called.

letter to mexicali.jpg - 148kB

[Edited on 7-2-2020 by SFandH]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
Have a house in Baja, want to enjoy it there.

"You can't always get what you want."

Mick Jagger
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 08:29 AM

With the current upsurge of new cases, I don't see a border crossing in the near future. I would love to see the virus "just go away", but that isn't what they do!

I have been thinking about getting my dog accustomed to wearing a soft, muzzle type halter (to give me more control). It might be fun to wrap a mask around it when approaching an inspection point, and I bet we don't get inspected if we both have a mask on!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.