Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: South Dakota Plates Question
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 07:48 PM
South Dakota Plates Question

Hey Nomads!
Question about the SD plates. So, We're planing to move down to our house in BCS fairly soon, all things considered. Want to get things squared away with the SD plates. Been getting everything ready with Clay County but I have one question. Maybe just one.

When you are back in the states, what's the situation when driving that vehicle and your driver's license? We have Texas DL's but will be mostly full time in Baja. Just traveling back to see family from time to time on holidays. Is that an issue and what is the solution for that if it is?

Oh-one other question...Do you just use Mexican Car Insurance (edit:such as Baja-Bound) while in Baja and then call before entering the States for short term US car insurance?

Thank you!

[Edited on 6-28-2020 by Beagle]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:14 PM

I have vehicles registered to addresses in Alaska, and California, and it has never been a problem when crossing or getting MX insurance. My driver's license is from AK.

I don't think you can put MX insurance on a US plated vehicle unless it has a US policy covering it, but I could be wrong.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:32 PM

Don't know how strict TX is around out of state registration. Think CA and CO might be the strictest. Pleading in court that your vehicle is in Baja most of the time would probably get you out of trouble.

A TX cop might even let you off esp. if you had a MX RP card.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have vehicles registered to addresses in Alaska, and California, and it has never been a problem when crossing or getting MX insurance. My driver's license is from AK.

I don't think you can put MX insurance on a US plated vehicle unless it has a US policy covering it, but I could be wrong.

I'd be trying to get BajaBound or something like that insurance on the yearly I think. So all of the SD plated cars down in Baja also have to have US insurance policies that are current?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:55 PM

Not true your Mex ins on us plated car. Only needs current registration. Does not need us ins for states. Thousands of us full timers have SD plated cars. No problems
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Not true your Mex ins on us plated car. Only needs current registration. Does not need us ins for states. Thousands of us full timers have SD plated cars. No problems

Ok that's what I was thinking!. Thank you. i wanted to make sure on this stuff and triple check before we mail this stuff out to Clay County. Thank you
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 03:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  

I'd be trying to get BajaBound or something like that insurance on the yearly I think. So all of the SD plated cars down in Baja also have to have US insurance policies that are current?

South Dakota only requires that vehicles registered there maintain U S insurance if operated in S D. Bajabound, however, requires that U S registered vehicles they insure in Mexico also carry U S insurance. I live full time in Mexico with vehicles registered in S D, have Mexican coverage through Lewis and Lewis, get temporary coverage through Progressive while in the States and everybody is happy. I now have a S D drivers license (which unlike S D registration requires a trip north to get) but for years operated operated S D registered vehicles with a Virginia or Florida license with no problem.
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 05:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  

South Dakota only requires that vehicles registered there maintain U S insurance if operated in S D. Bajabound, however, requires that U S registered vehicles they insure in Mexico also carry U S insurance. I live full time in Mexico with vehicles registered in S D, have Mexican coverage through Lewis and Lewis, get temporary coverage through Progressive while in the States and everybody is happy. I now have a S D drivers license (which unlike S D registration requires a trip north to get) but for years operated operated S D registered vehicles with a Virginia or Florida license with no problem.

Thank you, Bill. So, it looks like we need to go with an outfit such as Lewis & Lewis then. That's very helpful!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 05:25 AM

if you have a texas license you can use a texas address

register online

cheap

no need for safety check when you self certify online
if the car goes to texas you have 3 days to safety check

why change

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 06:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
if you have a texas license you can use a texas address

register online

cheap

no need for safety check when you self certify online
if the car goes to texas you have 3 days to safety check

why change

You're talking about the Inspection right? Hmmm. I see what you're saying. The risk is that if you are over due by a certain amount of days, you have to go in person to the County Clerk and the online renewal is cut off. Don't ask me how I know.

Aren't we required to maintain US insurance with Texas plates Vs. Not required with SD plates? Maybe I'm confused on that one.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 06:31 AM

Just a heads up, I have been told by the Union county treasurer in S. Dakota that they are not issuing out of state registrations temporarily, due to short staffing. They have been directed to focus on SD residence. I was told that by email a month ago, and that was reconfirmed a few days ago , when I asked again,. They did not have any idea when they would start doing out of state again.

Also, it may be only a county deal, I have not checked other counties
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 06:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Just a heads up, I have been told by the Union county treasurer in S. Dakota that they are not issuing out of state registrations temporarily, due to short staffing. They have been directed to focus on SD residence. I was told that by email a month ago, and that was reconfirmed a few days ago , when I asked again,. They did not have any idea when they would start doing out of state again.

Also, it may be only a county deal, I have not checked other counties

Thanks, I've been on the phone with the Clay Co clerks over the last 2 weeks and they've walked me through the whole process and timeline. Maybe their county is on top of things. They never mentioned anything out of the ordinary. I will also add that they are some of the sweetest/patient ladies I've talked to in a while! Shout out to Mary & Linda in Clay County! Woot woot!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 07:30 AM

You're talking about the Inspection right? Hmmm. I see what you're saying. The risk is that if you are over due by a certain amount of days, you have to go in person to the County Clerk and the online renewal is cut off. Don't ask me how I know.

Aren't we required to maintain US insurance with Texas plates Vs. Not required with SD plates? Maybe I'm confused on that one.

yes insurance is required but its not that much
to get a SD license you need to go to SD
Not for the plates for the license and you need an address so a mailbox

you can register a car in texas online 2 months before it expires and 6 months after...unless you get a texas ticket

its all online in texas ... how can you fail

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

yes insurance is required but its not that much
to get a SD license you need to go to SD
Not for the plates for the license and you need an address so a mailbox

you can register a car in texas online 2 months before it expires and 6 months after...unless you get a texas ticket

its all online in texas ... how can you fail

I'm going to PM you. Thanks.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 03:49 PM

Another thing if baja bound ins. Makes you have USA ins for your next policy. Get ins elsewhere.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 04:20 PM

There are different kinds of policies...
Call or email Baja Bound to ask.

I kind of think the logic is this:
So that tourists can buy affordable policies, they offer that. To make sure people with homes (and cars) in Mexico are not getting the cheaper 'tourist-vacation' policy, they require you to have also have a U.S. policy. This is true of any agency, be it Baja Bound, Discover Baja, or another. It is no guarantee that you are not a resident of Mexico, but it's an easy way to filter them out of the 'vacation policy'. I imagine that keeps Mexican auto insurance reasonable for us who vacation in Mexico rather than live there part or full-time, and keep a car in Mexico?
There may be another reason... maybe to protect Mexican insurance agents in Mexico from losing sales?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 07:21 PM

I just updated my yearly policy with BajaBound and told them I have SD registration and if I needed US insurance because I live full time in Baja and they said not necessary. Give them a call and ask.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 07:50 PM

Great that I'm not wrong as in 2012 my new prerunner was in a accident. I was not driving it had 10 grand in repairs. My Mex ins never asked if I had USA ins. Or green card to live in Mexico.

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
I just updated my yearly policy with BajaBound and told them I have SD registration and if I needed US insurance because I live full time in Baja and they said not necessary. Give them a call and ask.

Good to know!

Thanks!
fruitdoc

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 08:59 AM

I have just received my car registration from lawrence county , south dakota . so i think the above mentioned temporary stopping registration in south dakota is county specific .
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.