BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: South Dakota Plates Question
fruitdoc

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 09:05 AM

for an sd driver licence , a non resident of south dakota is required to have a proof of residence ( utility bill , insurance bill , tax form etc ..) with the s. dakota address , according to the dmv website . how have you managed to get these ? Thanks
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fruitdoc  
for an sd driver licence , a non resident of south dakota is required to have a proof of residence ( utility bill , insurance bill , tax form etc ..) with the s. dakota address , according to the dmv website . how have you managed to get these ? Thanks

The way they explained it to me is you stay in a hotel there, maybe some specific ones, and they give you a form that satisfies the residency requirement. You have to “live there” at least one night. The mailbox place I use there explained this to me so I think it may be fairly accurate.

Getting to and from there seems to be the biggest problem, no real easy way to do it.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 08:24 AM

Ok guys, Disclaimer: I am a licensed insurance agent in Florida and Colorado. Since 1988. And yes I sell Auto and Homeowners in Mexico through my General Agent in Arizona. I have insured my own and friends homes and cars in Mexico since 2005.

South Dakota law says you must maintain minimum liability insurance on a tag in South Dakota. I believe the same is true in Texas as it is in Florida.

I know Bob has been doing the SD tag thing for a long time. No idea whether his services involve maintaining liability insurance on a SD tag at renewal time.

Purchasing Mexican auto insurance for a US plated car is simply to protect you from going to jail if you are involved in an accident, whether it's your fault or not. And you will go to jail without it. The local or Federale cops will not let you leave the scene without proof of payment coming.

If you have assets whether they're in Mx or not get the $500k in liability and the comp/collision if you need it. Will cost you you between $350 and $600 a year depending on your limits.

Hope this helps a bit.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 08:39 AM

You left out one part even with Mexican ins. In a very bad accident you still go to jail . You do get out faster with ins.
CaboHenry
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Not true your Mex ins on us plated car. Only needs current registration. Does not need us ins for states. Thousands of us full timers have SD plated cars. No problems
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:14 AM

You left out one part even with Mexican ins. In a very bad accident you still go to jail . You do get out faster with ins.

And that is why I always get full coverage with legal representation
CaboHenry
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:35 AM

Agree with bajatrailrider. US insurance wasn't required if car remains in Mexico. Must have current tags and Mex insurance. Also have found the girls on the phones were very helpful in Clay County, SD. Have had SD plates on multiple vehicles for many years with no issues. No SD drivers lic or ID's. SD will ask for multiple other documents though. Wife had been stopped by Mex city police for expired tags. The new tags were in glovebox (forgot to stick them on the plate). She showed them to the officer and he let her go. She told him her husband will put them on as soon as she gets home. Conclusion: Keep tags current and a Mex insurance policy on any car you're driving (anywhere for that matter).
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:50 AM

You're right you don't have to have current insurance in SD to renew a SD tag.

If you drive that vehicle back into the US however, you are not going to be legal here. I drive my vehicles back and forth which is why I keep my Fl tags current.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 12:28 PM

The SD plate thing is a strange deal. People go too far lengths to avoid paying a $250 peso yearly reg. in Mexico, support the community they either live or stay for long periods of time, all to find a way to cheat the system. Most people I know with SD plates are the voices who complain about the road conditions.

An alternative is to just buy vehicle here, get plates ( which you can use with your Mexican insurance in the US), enjoy the fact you are doing the right thing and move on. Or you can just import it, the way it was meant to be.

I realize that around 33% or more people are Trump supporters and live their life by his standards and example( cheat their way through live). We can't do much about them. However if you are one to live honestly, just do the right thing...just saying
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 01:04 PM

with the rules the way they are you cant import
too old or
too new cars

you would be correct if you could import the things

cars sold in mexico when new are not the same as a USA car
an old one is usually worn out

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 03:03 PM

Sorry Charlie you don't know about Mexico . Example my 3 old 4x4 trucks can not be imported to Mexico because of there age. Second no one is cheating by getting SD plates. My three trucks are never driven to rip off cheat California state. So thank you SD .
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 03:24 PM

Sorry Charlie you don't know about Mexico . Example my 3 old 4x4 trucks can not be imported to Mexico because of there age. Second no one is cheating by getting SD plates. My three trucks are never driven to rip off cheat California state. So thank you SD .

First I will not argue with your totally ignorant statement. 2nd, maybe sell your 4x4s and buy them here and help out the local economy. 3rd, it is ripping of the local Mexican govt by not spending whopping 250 pesos a year on tags.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
with the rules the way they are you cant import
too old or
too new cars

you would be correct if you could import the things

cars sold in mexico when new are not the same as a USA car
an old one is usually worn out

Sooo, to play by the rules, in the country you CHOOSE to live in, you don't bring those down here. The reason is to keep the crappy cars gringos used to dump down here, outta here and the help the economy by not allowing newer cars so we would purchase new ones down here and help out their, and our ( if you happen to live here), economy.

I will say 80% of the SD plated vehicles I see are within the years allowed for importation.

Just saying, just try to play by the rules. Kind of like everything you learned in kindergarten. Don't cheat.

I love our Tacoma I bought new in 2015 in La Paz and I was way cheaper to purchase here!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 04:34 PM

I'm going to get some Anapromex plates. That will work.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I'm going to get some Anapromex plates. That will work.

That reminded me of this thread; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91541&got...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 08:24 PM

South Dakota Title and tags.

Clay County is the place to go! They are very nice. All SD tags renew in February. If you register in Nov/Dec you get 14 months. It all can be done on the phone and by mail. They don't ask about US insurance. If you need an SD DL contact America’s MailBox in Elder SD. they can set you up with an address. You must visit on a day when the Rapid City DMV is open. They have a motel/campground to stay at. They sell US Insurance though Good Sam is the cheapest US insurance. With SD plates they will sell SD insurance. If you don’t have an SD DL you will need to visit AAA to get an international DL ($20) you can use that and SD plates to get SD insurance from Good Sam.

Our Mexican agent is in San Felipe. Cars and trucks need US plates and registration to take advantage of the tourist auto insurance, you need a US DL. You can’t buy the day at a time U.S. insurance to go back to the US for US registered vehicles.

Above is how we do it.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
South Dakota Title and tags.

All SD tags renew in February.

I believe it renews different months based on the first letter of your last name...

Registration expirations are based on the last name of the applicant and expire on the last day of the assigned month. See below for a breakdown of the state’s car registration renewal schedule.

January – Last names beginning with A or B.
February – Last names beginning with C, D or E.
March – Last names beginning with F, G or J.
May – Last names beginning with H, I or O.
June – Last names beginning with K or L.
July – Last names beginning with M or N.
August – Last names beginning with P, Q or R.
September – Last names beginning with S.
November – Last names beginning with T, U, V, W, X, Y or Z.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:40 PM

Could be they told me all of ours renewed in Feb. Could be because of “C” in the last name.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:45 PM

Reminds me of m time in the army "Fall in....alphabetical order!"

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Could be they told me all of ours renewed in Feb. Could be because of “C” in the last name.

That makes sense....Mine renew in January. ;D

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.