Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: South Dakota Plates Question
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 02:55 PM

I personally have never had a Mexican Insurance Agent ask for anything except my license and if I'm buying theft and damage the registration for the car. The never ask to see a visa either.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 05:03 PM

State Cops love SD plates as they know they arnt ligit. My wifes brother is a stater and loves to ask the driver“ what is the capitol of SD?“. As you can expect, most don't even know. So he hits them up for lunch and a warning to get their paperwork in order and tells them to quit stealing from his people.
As of now it is too hard to prosecute minor infractions such as being a
“codo gringo“, according to him , but he does love to see them sweat.

Patrols out of Santa Rosilita, so many of you may know him

Maybe just do the right thing and be legal as we all ask Mexicans to do in our country....or just continue to be a hippocrite.

Simple
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Ged one of the perks of having SD plates is not having to carry insurance, along with no smog and lower rates. everyone I know just buys daily u.s. insurance when they cross north. I have heard about this needing u.s. coverage for mexico insurance but never found it to be true at least the company's i've dealt with.....unless maybe its a full coverage deal?

I understand the first part of your comment....and am pretty sure my Baja Bound 6 month full coverage requires CDN/US active insurance to qualify as Harald initially said. I get a CDN refund for time spent in Mexico....with proof of being there (receipts).

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 05:32 PM

For what it is worth, I don't insure my low value vehicle. I buy an annual liability only "Driver's License" policy. It covers me in whatever I drive.

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 06:53 PM

Helter Skelter,

The capital of SD is Pierre. The seat of Clay Co. is Vermillion! When you legally live in Mexico on a visa you can’t get a DL or buy a car. You can buy insurance for a US car or get a DL insurance policy that covers you and your spouse as long as you drive a non-Mexican car and are not a citizen or permanent resident!

Thats why there are so many SD plates in BCS! I've been shook down but not for registraion!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

When you legally live in Mexico on a visa you can’t get a DL or buy a car.

I thought you could with a temporary or permanent resident visa.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 07:24 PM

To my knowledge only with a permanent resident visa and then you’re supposed to get a Mexican DL, registration and Insurance!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 07:27 PM

You get a CURP number with a temporary resident visa. I know it's an important number for these kinds of things. I think with that you can get a license, registration, bank account, car, etc.

Not sure though.

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 07:34 PM

When we had a temporary they didn't do that. Everything changed a few years ago! So, I’m not sure.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
For what it is worth, I don't insure my low value vehicle. I buy an annual liability only "Driver's License" policy. It covers me in whatever I drive, except an RV, or motorcycle.

I am in the same position for my cars. I do occasionally drive my RV to Loreto and thought my DL policy was good but you got me thinking. I called Vagabundo del Mar who I have my policy through and they said I am absolutely covered and the RV is no different than my cars as long as they are currently registered in the states.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:46 AM

Howard, thanks for making me check my policy, it appears that I was wrong!

A few years ago I had a policy that I thought excluded an RV or moto, but I don't remember which company it was. I could have read it wrong as well.

I edited my earlier post to correct the error!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SunshineCabos

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 11:58 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have a California registered vehicle and I have just obtained a South Dakota plate so I can drive it and keep it down in Cabos without having to do the annual smog check. Does anyone know if I should deregister the title in California? or can I just not pay the registration renewal and let it expire? The back of the renewal form says I should notify DMV if I have moved out of state, but I haven't and I have several other vehicles still registered in CA, so I don't want to confuse my residence record. Any shared experience would be appreciated!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SunshineCabos  
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have a California registered vehicle and I have just obtained a South Dakota plate so I can drive it and keep it down in Cabos without having to do the annual smog check. Does anyone know if I should deregister the title in California? or can I just not pay the registration renewal and let it expire? The back of the renewal form says I should notify DMV if I have moved out of state, but I haven't and I have several other vehicles still registered in CA, so I don't want to confuse my residence record. Any shared experience would be appreciated!

To obtain our SD plates, we had to send the pink slip to SD. They created a new title and registration for us. I'm assuming that cancelled our California registration. I'm not sure how you could still have registration in California.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 12:30 PM

you have a SD title, as far as that car goes you're DONE with caDMV!:yes:
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

To obtain our SD plates, we had to send the pink slip to SD. They created a new title and registration for us. I'm assuming that cancelled our California registration. I'm not sure how you could still have registration in California.

X2

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 05:01 PM

SunshineCabos, I have a similar situation. I keep my car in Coyote Bay, legally registered it 10 years ago in South Dakota. I sent my CA registration to them and they gave me a new SD registration. CA keeps sending a renewal that says ignore this if it is not being driven on CA roads, which it isn't. So, I ignore it but do not tell them I have moved, which I haven't. CA accepts this. I spent 6 years in Vermillion going to school, so I was able to pick up the license plates personally on a visit. Nice folks there in Clay county.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.