Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  73
Author: Subject: BC and BCS COVID-19 Active Cases
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

... New variants will now sprout from unvaccinated countries and come here. We're not out of the woods yet. We'll never eradicate this scourge. There will be boosters and more boosters.

"Unvaccinated countries" = USA :fire:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/fauci-us-canada-vaccines-1.6109362

[Edited on 7-20-2021 by motoged]

If people want to play russian roulette with their lives that's their business. Those who got vaccinated are safe regardles what those people do. They only spread the disease among themselves. It's not a race between countries. It looks like Fox is now promoting vaccination and that's a good thing. The nonvaccinators don't care what Fauci says.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I've been wondering why the rules about masks and gatherings don't take age into consideration. Everybody over 65 and others who are health compromised in some way need to be more cautious than young healthy adults.

A senior wearing a mask doesn't help himself very much. It helps others from getting it from him.

The mask is an all or nothing thing. There needs to be unity. Vaccination on the other hand protects individuals. That's how I see it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 06:16 PM

... New variants will now sprout from unvaccinated countries and come here. We're not out of the woods yet. We'll never eradicate this scourge. There will be boosters and more boosters.

If people want to play russian roulette with their lives that's their business. Those who got vaccinated are safe regardles what those people do. They only spread the disease among themselves.

That's not 100% true. People that get infected enable the virus to mutate while they are sick. Perhaps mutate in such a way that the current vaccines no longer work. The idea is to vaccinate enough people to the point the vaccine dies out before such a mutation occurs. To the point where it is gone. Like polio, smallpox, and other viruses that modern medicine has eliminated.

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 06:25 PM

If people want to play russian roulette with their lives that's their business. Those who got vaccinated are safe regardles what those people do. They only spread the disease among themselves.

The idea is to vaccinate enough people to the point the vaccine dies out before such a mutation occurs.

That train left the station. It's unlikely to ever happen. Ged's link talks about boosters and yearly innoculations.

To your point. The smaller the pool of carriers the longer it will take for new mutants to develop and we can stay ahead of the curve.

As I stated earlier: infections come from overseas and we have no control over their vaccinations.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 06:45 PM

Yeah, I see your point. It sounds a bit fatalistic, maybe rightly so. One thing is for sure, the unvaccinated people are now gaining immunity the hard way.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 07:33 PM

Yeah, I see your point. It sounds a bit fatalistic, maybe rightly so. One thing is for sure, the unvaccinated people are now gaining immunity the hard way.

Have you seen the worldmeter data for UK and Israel? It's kind of interesting. Both countries had their vaccinations done early and thoroughly. UK has a case load as high as it was at its peak but the death numbers have remained really small. Israel has remained low for both active cases and deaths. To me this suggests that Pfizer is a much better vaccine than Astra Zeneca. Unfortunately I suspect the Pfizer numbers will rise as well.

BTW, I had a Pfizer vaccine in the States after 2 doses of Sinovac (Chinese) in Baja and it kicked my ass. I barely had a reaction with Sinovac.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 09:47 PM

Covid?
That is a Commie lie.
Party on Los Cabos!

corona spreading copy.jpg - 223kB

Harald Pietschmann
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-21-2021 at 05:10 AM

That's not 100% true. People that get infected enable the virus to mutate while they are sick. Perhaps mutate in such a way that the current vaccines no longer work. The idea is to vaccinate enough people to the point the vaccine dies out before such a mutation occurs. To the point where it is gone. Like polio, smallpox, and other viruses that modern medicine has eliminated.

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by SFandH]

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head and are exactly correct.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2021 at 06:52 AM

BCS Numbers updated through 7/20.

[Edited on 9-5-2021 by BajaNomad]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-21-2021 at 02:47 PM

July 21 (Reuters) - Life expectancy in the United States fell by a year and a half in 2020 to 77.3 years, the lowest level since 2003, primarily due to the deaths caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, a U.S. health agency said on Wednesday.

It is the biggest one-year decline since World War Two, when life expectancy fell 2.9 years between 1942 and 1943, and is six months shorter than its February 2021 estimate, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Haven't seen any recent posts on the trend of the Covid growth in La Paz. Anyone got the site to link to for that info? We seem to have fallen into the politics trap again.

It would be nice to pretend politics were not an issue with pandemic management....but the two issues are inseparable.

"Politics (from Greek: Πολιτικά, politiká, 'affairs of the cities') is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations between individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status. The branch of social science that studies politics and government is referred to as political science."

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 08:32 AM

Haven't seen any recent posts on the trend of the Covid growth in La Paz. Anyone got the site to link to for that info? We seem to have fallen into the politics trap again.

There are currently 838 active cases (hospitalizations) in La Paz.
Ten days ago there were 828, double the number of mid-June. Looks like the delta wave is leveling off. The peak was 1476 last August.

Current data.
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

I don't think politics is an issue in Mexico when it comes to the pandemic. This thread should be clear of American politics.

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by SFandH]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 08:45 AM

There are currently 838 active cases (hospitalizations) in La Paz.
Ten days ago there were 828, double the number of mid-June. Looks like the delta wave is leveling off. The peak was 1476 last August.

Current data.
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

Thanks for the update. We are monitoring this site hoping to plan to drive down. Seems we are on hold yet again due to continued land border closures. REALLY missing the chance to get back to the La Paz area and get settled in.

I post a spreadsheet every week or so that I've been keeping for over a year. It shows historical hospitalization data for the entire peninsula.

It quickly gets buried with opinion posts.

BTW, I'm not sure the peak was 1476. I spend the winter in BCS and I don't have easy access to the Internet. When I do get online I quickly take care of personal stuff and don't update the spreadsheet. The number was probably higher last winter.

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by SFandH]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 08:59 AM

And thanks so much for starting that spreadsheet. Has been the most helpful info we have located til now.

I'll post an updated version after the noise dies down.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 06:23 PM

USA TODAY:
Quote:

An Alabama physician glumly says she is making "a lot of progress" in encouraging people to vaccinate – as she struggles to keep them alive.

Dr. Brytney Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote in a recent Facebook post she is treating a lot of young, otherwise healthy people for serious coronavirus infections.

"One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine," she wrote. "I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late.

"In her post, Cobia wrote that when a patient dies, she hugs their family members and urges them to get vaccinated. She said they cry and tell her they thought the pandemic was a "hoax," or "political," or targeting some other age group or skin color.

"They wish they could go back. But they can't," Cobia wrote. "So they thank me and they go get the vaccine.

They thought it was a hoax. No comments.
Baja Vicki M

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 07:04 AM

Cultural differences in terms of deaths from COVID - Most Mexican people WILL NOT go to the hospital until they are at death’s door, far past the point where medical intervention is helpful. Even beyond that, the idea of dying isolated in the hospital is repugnant. People will eschew medical care to die in the care of family and surrounded by family. My husband’s brother had it, and refused hospital care. He survived, despite compromised health, but was not going to opt for isolation while ill. This is a deeply embedded cultural value and is the primary reason for high death rates in Mexico. Read an article discussing this in a newspaper a while ago.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 07:13 AM

Here in the US it's a combination of willful ignorance, "owning the libs", lack of common sense, and just plan stupidity. That does seem to be a new cultural trait in 30% of our citizens, unfortunately.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:17 AM

I personally am not surprised that more people are hesitant to receive the vaccine…

I know people who won’t get the vaccine, They a living examples of risky behavior: smokers, overweight, sedentary lifestyle. And they worry about a minuscule risk of vaccine, while living with huge risks of bad lifestyle choices. :lol::lol: people are stupid

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I know people who won’t get the vaccine, They a living examples of risky behavior: smokers, overweight, sedentary lifestyle. And they worry about a minuscule risk of vaccine, while living with huge risks of bad lifestyle choices. :lol::lol: people are stupid

You need to find better friends and associates. Everyone I know has gotten it.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I personally am not surprised that more people are hesitant to receive the vaccine…

Whereas the ones i know have a history of developing treatments that were not approved until they underwent the full 3 years of testing and then only after they were subjected to in depth scientific challenges by their peers when they presented them to symposiums and their results came under critical questioning. Science when it works best welcomes critical questioning, does not attempt to prevent it as we are seeing being applied at present.

Did you really want to wait three years for people to start getting vaccinated? Science does know a lot more about molecular biology and drug development than in the days of Edward Jenner, Alexander Fleming, or even Jonas Salk.

You can bet if Covid left people horribly scarred (smallpox), or partially paralyzed (polio) they'd be standing in line to get vaccinated.

John

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  73

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.