Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  66    68    70  ..  73
Author: Subject: BC and BCS COVID-19 Active Cases
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2022 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I suggest that masks be optional on planes, busses and trains. And we should do like old days when smoking was allowed on planes, put the maskless in the back of the plane and put the masked in the front of the plane. Train cars can be separated for masked and maskless. Busses can be made for masked, and we can provide free rental scooter credits for unmasked. I see lots of rental scooters on street here in san Diego, and you maskless should use those and let the masked ride the bus in good health.

Why do you hate science?

"A 187-page study by Harvard scientists released Tuesday concluded that air travel "is as safe as or substantially safer than the routine activities people undertake during these times.''

The Harvard researchers said the ventilation system in the cabin "effectively counters the proximity travelers are subject to during flights.''

It says those factors combine to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission on a plane to below that at grocery stores or restaurants."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/10/2...

[Edited on 4-19-2022 by JZ]

Actually what the report says is

Quote:
The Finding: This research substantiates that the layered approach of Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions (NPI) instituted on commercial aircraft
- effectively diluting and removing pathogens and in combination with face masks - results in a very low risk of SARS-COV-2 disease transmission on aircraft.

Quote:
b. Face Masks
Finding
Face masks without exhalation valves or vents or other openings are a critical element in preventing the spread of respiratory infectious diseases while traveling. In fact, face mask requirements are perhaps the most essential layer of a comprehensive set of measures to reduce transmission of COVID-19 throughout air travel.

[Edited on 4-20-2022 by Purdyd]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-19-2022 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I suggest that masks be optional on planes, busses and trains. And we should do like old days when smoking was allowed on planes, put the maskless in the back of the plane and put the masked in the front of the plane. Train cars can be separated for masked and maskless. Busses can be made for masked, and we can provide free rental scooter credits for unmasked. I see lots of rental scooters on street here in san Diego, and you maskless should use those and let the masked ride the bus in good health.

Why do you hate science?

"A 187-page study by Harvard scientists released Tuesday concluded that air travel "is as safe as or substantially safer than the routine activities people undertake during these times.''

The Harvard researchers said the ventilation system in the cabin "effectively counters the proximity travelers are subject to during flights.''

It says those factors combine to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission on a plane to below that at grocery stores or restaurants."

[Edited on 4-19-2022 by JZ]

Airliners have poor ventilation during boarding and deplaning. The high filtration is only during flight. Also, good filters/air flow really don’t do much when you are packed in like a sardine next to a sicko….

Plane Filtration may protect you from some sicko sitting 10 rows away, but does little to protect you when your mouth/nose is 18 inches from some sicko exhaling covid, flu, cold, etc.

I am all for mask requirement to be permanent requirement as long as airlines insist on inhumane seat spacing and packed planes.

Don’t get me started on fat people flying without buying extra seat!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2022 at 08:36 PM

Filtration systems on planes make sitting a foot away from someone the equivalent of 15 feet away in normal settings. They studied stuff like this.

Mask were never worn while eating or drinking. So all you had to do was keeping snacking on some peanuts to avoid wearing it. Did Covid magically stop then?

Remind us of the number of outbreaks associated with airline travel the last two years?

We took a bunch flights in 2020 pre-vaccines. No Covid.

[Edited on 4-20-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2022 at 10:21 PM

Filtration systems on planes make sitting a foot away from someone the equivalent of 15 feet away in normal settings. They studied stuff like this.

Mask were never worn while eating or drinking. So all you had to do was keeping snacking on some peanuts to avoid wearing it. Did Covid magically stop then?

Remind us of the number of outbreaks associated with airline travel the last two years?

From the same USA article you linked

Quote:
Troubling outbreak: Ireland flight linked to 59 COVID-19 cases

Despite the industry's bullishness, a new report from Irish public health officials suggests coronavirus spread on planes remains a threat.

A report published late last week in the journal of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, a European Union health agency, said 13 of 49 passengers on a 7½-hour flight to Dublin, including a child, tested positive for COVID-19, and another 46 in contact with them in Ireland became infected. Four were hospitalized, one in the ICU.

The phase I airline industry report

https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2443/2...

Quote:
Boeing then used these reductions in exposure to convert their CFD-derived finding as “equivalent physical distance” asserting that due to the features of their aircraft ECS design, potentially infectious particles released under realistic scenarios will be rapidly diluted and removed from the proximity of passengers to provide the equivalent distance of being >6 feet (1.83 m) away from an adjacent passenger.

Quote:
7.3 RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PROPER USE OF FACE MASKS DURING AIR TRAVEL
In summary, face masks offer an important line of protection against the spread of SARS-CoV-2 by reducing potentially infectious exhaled respiratory particles from the wearer as well as providing some barrier protection against inhaled particles. However, it is the proper use of a face mask that confers it effectiveness. The protective value of the face mask decreases significantly when the wearer’s mouth or nose are not completely covered because it is no longer functioning as a barrier for respiratory particles (Van der Sande et al., 2008; Konda et al., 2020; Davies et al., 2013). For these reasons, face mask compliance and correct use are critical while on board the aircraft.
Additionally, passengers and crew should make every effort to ensure that their masks fit comfortably and without gaps in order to maximize their effectiveness as a barrier to viral spread (Konda et al., 2020; Mueller et al., 2020). Masks should be cleaned regularly in accord with the CDC recommendation (CDC, 2020f).

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2022 at 07:28 AM

Got a citation on that equivalent to 15 feet apart Jizzy - you know - because we all want to make sure we are accurately representing scientific studies here.
and BTW - its not so much on the plane - its the jetways getting onto , and deplaning - when the systems are turned off - believe it or not, you could get infected then - honest!

1 million dead in the USA - 17 Million dead world wide - and those are clearly gross undercounts - and your still spouting about having to wear a mask - not because of the mask - its all about your political agenda. when human lifes start mattering more to you that your political beliefs - then we can have a discussion based on facts and science. until then - keep on inventing BS, ignoring science - it's a very good tool to assess your IQ
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-16-2022 at 07:56 AM

CAJ13,

The “Science” is that a large percentage of the virtue signaling masks worn in public were and still are about 15% effective! If you aren’t wearing an N or P 95 mask that fits tightly you are kidding yourself!

If you only wear a mask when cameras are present you’re a hypocrite or worse!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2022 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
CAJ13,

The “Science” is that a large percentage of the virtue signaling masks worn in public were and still are about 15% effective! If you aren’t wearing an N or P 95 mask that fits tightly you are kidding yourself!

got a citation on that?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2022 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
CAJ13,

got a citation on that?

Doctors from the NIH have said cloth masks do very little. Surgical masks are better, if worn properly and you avoid touching your face. N95 are very good if they fit well. Tons of sources saying this.

It's also well know that a lot of it is for show. There have been hundreds of photos of politicians saying to wear a mask and then doing the exact opposite in private.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2022 at 06:39 PM

caj13,

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2022 at 08:19 PM

caj13,

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

Their efficiency for cloth and surgicals is much higher than what I read before, but the study looks solid.

What is not clear is the odds ratio or in other words - protection, in the indoor environment where you're wearing a mask but, say, 80% of people around you aren't. And this is exactly what today's airplanes are. With N95 you'll get only 0.17 of exposure than they will, but we'll never know - 0.17 of what. Unmasked people in enclosed space increase your risk anyway.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2022 at 08:03 AM

Alm,

If you read the study it goes on to say that the benefits of cloth masks are not statistically significant.

Pressurized aircraft generally don't recirculate air, they replace it with fresh outside air. This rate of replacement is adjustable. More often is better but uses more fuel! AC cabins have always been unhealthy!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2022 at 07:33 PM

Alm,

If you read the study it goes on to say that the benefits of cloth masks are not statistically significant.

Pressurized aircraft generally don't recirculate air, they replace it with fresh outside air.

Statistically not significant but the odds ratio is 44%, can't discard this completely. Still, indoors I would prefer N95 to cloth mask or a surgical. Both my dentists - in Canada and Mexico - were wearing N95 last time I saw them. I really appreciated them doing it, but oh boy, must've been tough wearing it all day long. Lucky are those who don't have to work with people today.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2022 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I really appreciated them doing it, but oh boy, must've been tough wearing it all day long. Lucky are those who don't have to work with people today.

Honestly, it's something one gets used to if it fits well. I have gotten so used to wearing a mask when going to indoor public places that unless the weather is hot, I sometimes forget I am wearing it when I get back in my car after shopping, and will drive a block before becoming aware of it and removing it (the sort of thing anti-maskers seize on to prove how crazy mask-wearers are, as if we are terrified of driving alone in our own vehicles without a mask on, which no one is).

What was way worse for doctors and nurses and ambulance staff was having to suit up with the whole 9 yards of PPE when dealing with Covid cases- masks, face shields, hazmat suits, gloves, booties. and then having to remove it all without causing any cross-contamination.

[Edited on 5-18-2022 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2022 at 08:14 PM

Alm,

At the beginning of this epidemic the CDC deliberately tried to infect a group of volunteers. Only 50% of those infected caught covid! The other 50% caught nothing!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 09:38 AM

Well that proves everything.

Like that damn palm tree DK brings up.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Honestly, it's something one gets used to if it fits well. I have gotten so used to wearing a mask when going to indoor public places that unless the weather is hot, I sometimes forget I am wearing it

Did you mean N95? To me it is way less comfortable than a surgical mask. Those "cupped" like 3M 8510/8511 with a foam strip around feel a little better, but I don't think I could forget that I'm wearing it, even when it's not hot.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Did you mean N95? To me it is way less comfortable than a surgical mask. Those "cupped" like 3M 8510/8511 with a foam strip around feel a little better, but I don't think I could forget that I'm wearing it, even when it's not hot.

No . I'm a seamstress and made myself a bunch of cloth masks when the pandemic first reared its ugly head. People poo-poo "cloth" masks, but "cloth" is a generic term that can mean all kinds of things. Certainly a cotton bandana provides little to no protection, but other types of cloth masks do.

Mine are an outside layer of tightly woven cotton with an inner layer of double-woven black-out fabric. If I pour water into them, as I did when testing the fabric before I made them, it just sits there and only drains through really slowly. They fit well with no gaps, they are soft, not stiff, and I carry a bunch of them with me in my car, so if I have to go into a bunch of places on a trip into town, I can switch out to clean ones. Then I just wash them. Or sometimes leave them on the dashboard of my car in the baking hot sun.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 09:20 PM

Pic from one of those flights. Guess she didn't trust the hepa filters?

[Edited on 5-18-2022 by JZ]

Maybe she was like my friend who suited up far more than that to take an unavoidable flight. She had gone through breast cancer, a double mastectomy, then colon cancer. Multiple chemo treatments and radiation. Not exactly Miss Strong Immune System, and no, she wasn't going to trust the airline filtration system.
Maybe you should mind your own business and stop judging the actions of others whose lives you know nothing about.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2022 at 11:49 PM

Maybe you should mind your own business and stop judging the actions of others whose lives you know nothing about.

Can you post a pic of you wearing your mask in the car?

That's your response to pointing out that poking fun at someone who may be going through cancer treatments for all you know, it is quite rude?

What a vile POS you are.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2022 at 12:36 PM

Can you post a pic of you wearing your mask in the car?

That's your response to pointing out that poking fun at someone who may be going through cancer treatments for all you know, it is quite rude?

What a vile POS you are.

You got his number. BINGO!

I use to react (inwardly, not outwardly) at someone driving by windows up, mask on, thinking WTF!!!! Posted that thought couple years ago.

Now I think prob something going on and I don't know what it is.

Like I keep saying, who cares? It's nobody's business except the person wearing the mask.

It's easy to poke fun of people when personal politics appear front and center. That's the conservative and Republican crowd who followed the former Loser and Draft Dodger from the WH who said it's an individual's choice, freedom first, and covid was more like a case of flu and not to be taken seriously.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  ..  66    68    70  ..  73

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.