Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  67    69    71  ..  73
Author: Subject: BC and BCS COVID-19 Active Cases
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2022 at 03:18 PM

Yes, there are many reasons why a person might be seen driving alone in their car with a mask on. They may have just given a ride to someone who isn't vaxed and refused to wear a mask, and don't wish to breathe the possibly contaminated air now in their car. Or may be on their way to pick up grandma, who has health issues, so want to be respectful about her not getting into a car they have been breathing in maskless.

There are many highway intersections where I have to stop for red lights, every time I drive to the city an hour away, where hawkers of all types of goods run up to my window maskless, talking loudly in my face- I will pop a mask on as I am approaching those intersections if the light is red, removing it when I drive away.

Or someone might be driving just a couple of blocks from one store to another, and not bother to remove the mask, only to have to put it back on again a few minutes later.

Making assumptions about why some stranger is doing what they are doing is ridiculous.

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2022 at 10:50 PM

Update from laboratory in La Paz

Many more cases coming in from hotel workers, restaurant staff and people working in supermarkets in the last week.

Just FYI.

I know many here on this site denounce the wearing of masks, for what ever reason, but Mexicans still are wearing masks EVERYWHERE as it is perhaps a cultural thing, or they are trying not to bring home the virus to an elder that is compromised ( lots of obesity and diabetes here). So, Please respect them by wearing a mask, if not only to protect them, but to not trample over their ideas and way of life.

I/we have been shopping in the markets, and the ONLY people not wearing masks are gringos. Granted, white and sunburned. Local gringos appear to be fitting in well and wearing masks.

So, beyond political BS. Just wear a flocking mask when you come down Gracis y por favor!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2022 at 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Update from laboratory in La Paz

Many more cases coming in from hotel workers, restaurant staff and people working in supermarkets in the last week.

Just FYI.

I know many here on this site denounce the wearing of masks, for what ever reason, but Mexicans still are wearing masks EVERYWHERE as it is perhaps a cultural thing, or they are trying not to bring home the virus to an elder that is compromised ( lots of obesity and diabetes here). So, Please respect them by wearing a mask, if not only to protect them, but to not trample over their ideas and way of life.

I/we have been shopping in the markets, and the ONLY people not wearing masks are gringos. Granted, white and sunburned. Local gringos appear to be fitting in well and wearing masks.

So, beyond political BS. Just wear a flocking mask when you come down Gracis y por favor!

Covid kills. Practicing good hygiene and sound public health protections makes sense.

Majority of gringos are idiots. Of course, I could care less if members of that majority die of covid due to their own idiocy :lol::lol:

Gringo friends recently went to Mexico on vacation. All 3 got covid, one got hospitalized. All 3 were the type of gringo that ignores public health measures, blunders about unmasked, licking door knobs. I think after experiencing being hospitalized in Mexico with pneumonia they got a bit of sanity and started to take covid a bit more seriously.

[Edited on 6-19-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 12:15 PM

Charliemanson, a slight correction to your many here claim.

In fact, it is a very select few here who espouse ignoring the science of those who actually know better than themselves.

Good luck on trying to influence these miscreants to be better citizens for themselves and others. Me, me, me, me. Don't even think about treading on me and my rights to be what and who I want to be during the unending pandemic.

It is unending. We all have to learn to live with this new paradigm.

I question why after so many years on this forum, certain members appeared to have become unleashed and unhinged by the pandemics constrictions on their imagined liberties to be ugly Americans.

I am prepared to be quoted again so have at it. I know who and what you are.

For the the majority of others here who know better, well, majority does not rule the day and we will have to live with that. I do my best to ignore them but once in a while I am driven to respond to their ongoing never-ending dis mis information.

Just wait, the usual suspects will call me out. The impulse is too much for them to resist.

Thankfully we have others who will call them out as they so richly deserve and to them, my eternal respect for at least trying for the all the good it will do. Happy Fathers Day to all and I graciously mean all here. Happy Summer Solstice in a couple of days.

My Midsummer Nights Dream would simply be that a few here would be better humans. We are all going through the same difficult times, yet it is hard to see the simpatico that is clearly lacking for a small majority on this site.

Peace, love and caring for others with some fish tacos thrown in.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Charliemanson, a slight correction to your many here claim.

In fact, it is a very select few here who espouse ignoring the science of those who actually know better than themselves.

Good luck on trying to influence these miscreants to be better citizens for themselves and others. Me, me, me, me. Don't even think about treading on me and my rights to be what and who I want to be during the unending pandemic.

It is unending. We all have to learn to live with this new paradigm.

I question why after so many years on this forum, certain members appeared to have become unleashed and unhinged by the pandemics constrictions on their imagined liberties to be ugly Americans.

I am prepared to be quoted again so have at it. I know who and what you are.

For the the majority of others here who know better, well, majority does not rule the day and we will have to live with that. I do my best to ignore them but once in a while I am driven to respond to their ongoing never-ending dis mis information.

Just wait, the usual suspects will call me out. The impulse is too much for them to resist.

Thankfully we have others who will call them out as they so richly deserve and to them, my eternal respect for at least trying for the all the good it will do. Happy Fathers Day to all and I graciously mean all here. Happy Summer Solstice in a couple of days.

My Midsummer Nights Dream would simply be that a few here would be better humans. We are all going through the same difficult times, yet it is hard to see the simpatico that is clearly lacking for a small majority on this site.

Peace, love and caring for others with some fish tacos thrown in.

The cure needs to fit the disease, otherwise it can be as harmful as the disease.

This fact drives the thinking of many.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 01:17 PM

You must be aware of the understanding of the term 'novel' used in this pandemic. That should say enough. Novel.

That we have vaccines at all comes from decades of research. Novel.

That we can now have new vaccines created in a relatively short time is due to decades of research. It was never said that no one would get sick with these vaccines. It was expressly stated that if one caught it, they would fair far better and avoid hospitalization in many cases.

That is good enough for me for a 'novel' virus. Novel. Contemplate that meaning if you can.

What drives your thinking after decades on this forum?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
You must be aware of the understanding of the term 'novel' used in this pandemic. That should say enough. Novel.

That we have vaccines at all comes from decades of research. Novel.

That we can now have new vaccines created in a relatively short time is due to decades of research. It was never said that no one would get sick with these vaccines. It was expressly stated that if one caught it, they would fair far better and avoid hospitalization in many cases.

That is good enough for me for a 'novel' virus. Novel. Contemplate that meaning if you can.

What drives your thinking after decades on this forum?

I'm pro-vax, yet anti-mandate and anti-lock down.

Freedom and common sense drive my thinking.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2022 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Practicing good hygiene and sound public health protections makes sense.

Majority of gringos are idiots. Of course, I could care less if members of that majority die of covid due to their own idiocy :lol::lol:

We saw Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick last night in Santa Barbara. Show was fantastic. Forever Young was probably the best song. I'll send you a couple videos you can watch in the basement, just make sure you are wearing your masks.

[Edited on 6-19-2022 by JZ]

so that was you up on that lady's shoulders squealing like a fourteen year old girl at Cheap Trick??

[Edited on 6-20-2022 by willardguy]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-20-2022 at 12:43 PM

Many people in baja still practicing proper public health measures to avoid being infected or transmitting disease. Todays article from NYT is informative… and almost everyday i get reports from friends and coworkers saying they got covid. It’s raging!

Covid Cases Surge, but Deaths Stay Near Lows

Covid is still killing an average of 314 people daily, one-tenth the number who were dying every day in January 2021, but, even so, an awful toll. At that rate, the virus is killing more than twice as many Americans every day as suicide or car crashes are. And many of those who survive the virus are debilitated, some of them for long after their infections.

With the country’s resources for fighting the virus drying up and many Americans forgoing booster shots, the decoupling of cases and deaths may not last. Immunity will wane and a more evasive variant could cut into people’s residual protection against severe disease.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/health/covid-deaths-plate...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2022 at 04:56 AM

I read a report yesterday about increasing infections in northern BC. It also said there are few hospitalizations. It seems to me that the current COVID variations are more infectious but less virulent.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Todays article from NYT is informative… and almost everyday i get reports from friends and coworkers saying they got covid. It’s raging!

Covid Cases Surge, but Deaths Stay Near Lows

Covid is still killing an average of 314 people daily, one-tenth the number who were dying every day in January 2021, but, even so, an awful toll.

January 2022 was same bad. When arrival of Omicron coupled with Christmas gatherings and lifted restrictions resulted in a huge spike of hospitalizations and deaths. Hospitalizations set a new record. Deaths - delayed by 1 month, peaked in February 2022 - were almost as high as in January 2021.

[Edited on 6-23-2022 by Alm]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 05:29 PM

And just in case anyone is interested, the Mexican infection rate has been climbing by over 9,000 new infections per day in the past week. From Tuesday to Wed., the count is up 9,891 to 76,004 doccumented Covid cases. And the new Omicron variants, which you can be sure will soon be here, if they aren't already, are more virulent, not less. They go deeper into the lungs amd are making people far sicker than the straight Omicron.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
And the new Omicron variants, which you can be sure will soon be here, if they aren't already, are more virulent, not less. They go deeper into the lungs amd are making people far sicker than the straight Omicron.

I think this contradicts what you wrote but I'm not sure what variants you're talking about.

Published today:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01730-y

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
And the new Omicron variants, which you can be sure will soon be here, if they aren't already, are more virulent, not less. They go deeper into the lungs amd are making people far sicker than the straight Omicron.

I think this contradicts what you wrote but I'm not sure what variants you're talking about.

Published today:

That article seems to lead to the conclusion that we definitely need to strengthen our treatment protocols, as well as increase the staffing of facilities it can be accomplished in. Countries that have focused on expanding treatment seem to be doing far better in case fatality rates.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 09:06 PM

My graduated student's girlfriend in a doctor in La Paz. I am going to ask how hospitalizations are doing.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Published today:

'The UK Health Security Agency is also monitoring BA.5.1 - an offshoot of BA.5 - and the BA.2.12.1 subvariant, which remains the dominant strain in the US.
"It looks as though these things are switching back to the more dangerous form of infection, so going lower down in the lung," Dr Stephen Griffin, a virologist at the University of Leeds, told the Guardian.

In response to whether the virus is on the verge of turning into the common cold, he added: "It clearly isn’t, and there’s no pressure on it to do that, really." '

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 10:48 PM

That's too bad. It was about this time last year that the delta variant took off. We'll see what happens as people head indoors for summer AC.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2022 at 11:16 PM

Why do so many ppl on here root for the virus.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2022 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Why do so many ppl on here root for the virus.

And why do you think that blind denial and saying "Covid is over" means it is?

Covid infection stats for Mexico Thursday, June 23:

Nacional UP 10,848 to 86,852
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2022 at 04:42 PM

From the article: "The BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants are spiking globally because they can spread faster than other circulating variants — mostly BA.2, which caused a surge in cases at the beginning of the year".

This doesn't sound good. Spike at the beginning of the year dwarfed all the previous spikes, 20% more hospitalizations than in January 2021 that Mtgoat wrote about. Mostly because it was more infectious, i.e. spreading faster.
 Pages:  1  ..  67    69    71  ..  73

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.