Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Amigos
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 07:51 AM
Amigos

Boy, do I miss the old Amigos board where baja was pretty much the topic.......
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 08:13 AM

There are two forums here that don't get sidebarred into politics the way the General Baja Discussion one does: Baja Trip Reports and Historic Interests and Literature. The Baja Photo and Video Gallery, as well.

I hope you are doing well, Phil!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 08:17 AM

I'm with Phil.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 08:26 AM
Double Whammy!

There would probably be a lot fewer cranky Nomads if our lives and travel plans were not interrupted by the Novel Corona virus. I would have already returned from Alaska about now, and on my way to check out my first Baja summer.

It shouldn't matter that this pandemic occurred during an election year, but sadly, some folks can't see past that!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 09:03 AM
And the Thing IS ..................

We're farther from the finish than we are from the start.

Just think of how much mayhem and madness lies ahead.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 11:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
There would probably be a lot fewer cranky Nomads if our lives and travel plans were not interrupted by the Novel Corona virus. I would have already returned from Alaska about now, and on my way to check out my first Baja summer.

It shouldn't matter that this pandemic occurred during an election year, but sadly, some folks can't see past that!

This board has been full of nastiness long before coronavirus. Lots of expats in other parts of Mexico have noticed that.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 05:47 AM

PC:
The Amigos Board started suffering the same fate after BBBB#1. Meeting the people behind the board names, it dawned on half of us that the other half were just possibly a**holes. It took the carnage following BBBB#2 to prove that out. "Minnow" and the like.

I used to pause from time-to-time and wonder what group I was in, but long ago gave up caring....self-examination can be uncomfortable and is best ignored.

However, Thursdays, reading the fishing reports from around the peninsula that Earl put together, was the highpoint of my week.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 07:42 AM

To me, things started to change around the time of the Tea Party (2009). From that point on, everything became political and there was outrage at everything, whether founded or not. It's been downhill since then...

And I agree with Santiago regarding the fishing reports...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 08:48 AM
That's Life !

One needn't be a genius (thankfully for those here) to realize that this forum and (virtually) any other which attracts those with varied political viewpoints regardless of attitudes towards the primary subject (Baja) will also reflect the political schisms which have intensified in recent years.

" We are the World". Or, at least, the USA today And, the latest mayhem sweeping the USA makes it clear that we are a sharply divided peoples feeling a more intense involvement in political issues than (perhaps) ever in our history. Though any student of American history might take issue with that. It may be that the evolving technologies have brought forth that which was always there.

Though often referenced, Constitutional Free Speech rights are not applicable here. IF the ownership of the forum wishes to cleanse the forum of comments reflecting political bias, it would be within their rights to do so. The judgement is theirs. While there are often quite clear examples of antagonistic commentary beyond the bounds of decency or reasonable discourse, where to draw the line is a subjective moving target.

" In the meantime, in between times, ain't we got fun ?"
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Phil C  
Boy, do I miss the old Amigos board where baja was pretty much the topic.......

You can be part of the fix by posting some stories about Baja.

Let's see them.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 10:11 AM

Travel stories aka Trip Reports are indeed a most enjoyable and educational part of Baja Nomad.

We learn about places in Baja and get ideas of places to visit. Photos add to the enjoyment but are not mandatory to make Trip Reports valuable to Nomads and "lurkers".

Lurkers, or unregistered viewers of this forum are a giant audience. I often have bumped up past trip reports for these viewers and others who might enjoy them.

So, as JZ suggests, add your Baja trip stories. They don't have to be recent. Thank you

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 11:21 AM

Many thanks to Phil C, MJS, Santiago & Bajaboy for their kind remarks regarding our old Amigos Bd. It was a labor of love for Eric, Trish and me as fishing Baja was our major love in life.

My dad had introduced my brother Jim and I to fishing all over the northern portions of Baja in the late 1930's just before WW2.

After his return home from the war in 1946, all our summer vacations were taken Ensenada or San Felipe.

I started both my pre-teen sons doing the same at Ed Tabor's old Flying Fisherman's spot in Loreto and they still retain their love of the area & it's people.

A great deal of credit is owed to Doug for keeping this Nomad site up & running over these many years. I can tell you from experience that it can be frustrating at times.

The problem we had was that our goal was accurate & timely information on fishing & travel conditions that were near impossible to get any other way at that time (pre- internet). But after 10-12 years we found a upsetting transition taking place on the Amigos Bd.---the site was moving towards becoming a soapbox for a growing group of malcontents and nut cases who saw it as a means to spread their venom about people, events & places around the peninsula and use it as a political forum for their wacked-out theories.

When we realized that we were spending too much time babysitting & redacting trash, it was time to move on to better things.

We enjoyed the experience as a whole & would not have missed the opportunity to meet & get to know so many of our readers over the years. It was just the frustrations that the wackos had interjected into the process that caused the endeavor to lose it's appeal.

Don't let the wackos and trolls win ! Ignore them & they will slither away. Keep Nomads main focus just as it is & let Doug know how much we all appreciate his efforts.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 11:28 AM

OK, JZ a delayed report on my most recent trip to BAJA (sadly) mid Dec. 2019 thru mid Jan 2020.
Wife two dogs and I Left N. San Diego county mid day, stopped at Walmart in Calixico for some supplies and a wreath for the front of the suburban. Crossed Mexicali west with no problem, no need to stop, we have resident perm. Easy road to the 5 was blocked, shoved us about ten blocks west. Wound our way back and on to San Felipe. Just getting dark were a little late.Outside town light traffic on the two lane I lit up the driving lights, makes a huge difference, but you have to be careful about oncoming traffic. Round a curve in the distance, oncoming traffic and blue and red lights on the right side. Down to 30 mph and pass 3 wide, kind of tight but not bad, with a small truck north bound, myself , suburban, and off to the side, Federal Police with a car pulled over. Continued at about 45 or 50 mph, out pulls the federal and lights me up. I pull over and light up the interior, we have two dogs. He approaches, very courteous in Spanish, the normal were are you coming from ,going etc. Told him to our home in Loreto, have a nice trip, be carfull, as he shook my hand. Hmmm pleasant. Overnight at the Sky Blue, Just a place to sleep. affordable rooms, OK with the dogs and a nice family restaurant next door. Had dinner there and were just about done when Federal Police cars and trucks started showing up out side. The waitress came and said we needed to finish up, that they were closing. We left as more cars were arriving. Went to the room and a few minuets later took the dogs out for a walk, was curious and passed by the restaurant now packed packed with police. I guess its their spot.
Early next day off to San Ignacio, generally our next stop at our friends the Mercers ranchito. Road construction ,now complete, north of Puertocitos. the new road almost complete to Hwy 1. Overnight in San Ignacio, and then the short trip to Loreto. Almost a month in Loreto. Small Mexican towns are a real treat at Christmas time. All dressed up full of cheer, I love it. Fishing was good for what I like to do and Its always great to see your friends. Had to leave mid Jan. pretty much the reverse of above except to my pleasant surprise

Hwy. 5 was completed, except for a little north of Puertocitos, now complete I believe.

My next trip has been delayed but I am hoping soon.
Ill let you know........

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by Phil C]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 11:29 AM

I wasn't on Amigos too long. Maybe a couple years.

The thing I remember the most was Baja Blackie. Think he was from Vegas. He'd always argue with anyone. Remember one of the biggest things was about driving at night. He had a truck with tricked out lights.

Wonder what that guy is up to now.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 11:39 AM

We really try not to drive at night on the Hwy. Ill get up early and drive out of the dark, but try not to drive into the dark. Sometimes you just get caught......
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Phil C  
Road construction ,now complete, north of Puertocitos. the new road almost complete to Hwy 1... Hwy. 5 was completed, except for a little north of Puertocitos, now complete I believe.

:O :wow:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 12:29 PM

Yes a little confusing. That was January. I have seen reports that the road is complete all the way to Hwy 1 now, although I cannot personally confirm that.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 12:35 PM

A verbal report from my friends the drove to their house in Bahia Los Angles was , all paved from San Felipe to Hwy 5. no detours at the washed out bridges.
One week ago.

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by Phil C]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fang  
Many thanks to Phil C, MJS, Santiago & Bajaboy for their kind remarks regarding our old Amigos Bd. It was a labor of love for Eric, Trish and me as fishing Baja was our major love in life.

My dad had introduced my brother Jim and I to fishing all over the northern portions of Baja in the late 1930's just before WW2.

After his return home from the war in 1946, all our summer vacations were taken Ensenada or San Felipe.

I started both my pre-teen sons doing the same at Ed Tabor's old Flying Fisherman's spot in Loreto and they still retain their love of the area & it's people.

A great deal of credit is owed to Doug for keeping this Nomad site up & running over these many years. I can tell you from experience that it can be frustrating at times.

The problem we had was that our goal was accurate & timely information on fishing & travel conditions that were near impossible to get any other way at that time (pre- internet). But after 10-12 years we found a upsetting transition taking place on the Amigos Bd.---the site was moving towards becoming a soapbox for a growing group of malcontents and nut cases who saw it as a means to spread their venom about people, events & places around the peninsula and use it as a political forum for their wacked-out theories.

When we realized that we were spending too much time babysitting & redacting trash, it was time to move on to better things.

We enjoyed the experience as a whole & would not have missed the opportunity to meet & get to know so many of our readers over the years. It was just the frustrations that the wackos had interjected into the process that caused the endeavor to lose it's appeal.

Don't let the wackos and trolls win ! Ignore them & they will slither away. Keep Nomads main focus just as it is & let Doug know how much we all appreciate his efforts.

So very nice to hear from you. Thank you so much to the Robitaille family for the non-stop supportive and kind comments throughout this time period. You were publishing pioneers in the early wild west expansion of the internet revolution. The efforts and the info were remarkable and inspirational.

Many good wishes to you all, and Earle... thank you also for your service to the HB community. I was a resident there from '92-'99 before moving "back" to San Diego to be closer to family and the border. Such a great community, and appreciate your leadership and contribution.

earle_robitaille.jpg - 123kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 02:22 PM
Baja Tripping in the '60s

Nice pic.

A lot of GREAT TJ memories, including a '62 grad night weaving on and off Ave Revolucion.

It was more fun than Disneyland.

Any trip reports would likely be considered unsuitable and deleted, though.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.