BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ready lane directions
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 09:06 AM
Ready lane directions

Going north at San Ysidro does anyone have EASY AND SIMPLIFIED directions for a passenger vehicle?

I have looked it up and it seems quite complicated and I have even tried it once off of those directions and have failed. Even looked at an You Tube.

Please, no lectures on having a Sentri or G.E.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 09:11 AM

my two cents......there is no easy way. problem I found was getting to it and finding it closed from gridlock so I started using Otay readylane, same as going to the airport and its never closed!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Going north at San Ysidro does anyone have EASY AND SIMPLIFIED directions for a passenger vehicle?

I have looked it up and it seems quite complicated and I have even tried it once off of those directions and have failed. Even looked at an You Tube.

Here you go Howard, from Baja Bound Insurance: https://www.bajabound.com/before/directions/ready_lane_san_y...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 09:54 AM

"Easy and simplified" doesn't work with downtown Tijuana. But, here goes:

You need to approach the border from the east, heading west on Ave. Via Rapida Oeste on the south side of the river canal. When you get close to the border mess of roads going in circles in every direction, stay in the middle and go up the hill that curves to the right. That's the Ready lane.

Start here to figure it out. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5309154,-117.0199526,15z

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 10:01 AM
Otay can be really backed up

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
my two cents......there is no easy way. problem I found was getting to it and finding it closed from gridlock so I started using Otay readylane, same as going to the airport and its never closed!

Last January on a Sunday afternoon we came in off the Cuota from Tecate and the line for Ready/Sentri was clear back on the off-ramp.
We sneaked around and went to SY and only waited an hour....
Bet the folks at Otay spent an hour just getting off the Cuota.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Last January on a Sunday afternoon we came in off the Cuota from Tecate and the line for Ready/Sentri was clear back on the off-ramp.

Gotta ask, why not cross at Tecate... or was it because of the closed at 2 pm Covid hours?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 01:56 PM
Tecate was the plan

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Gotta ask, why not cross at Tecate... or was it because of the closed at 2 pm Covid hours?

Longest line I have ever seen there that day.
Teresa just had to shop every pottery place in town, since we had brought the pickup and not her car. So we were late getting there on a Sunday afternoon.

I started looking for the end of the line and couldn't even find it it was so far back to the East....
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 03:26 PM

I assume coming from the coast on the cuota? I haven't noticed much advantage for the READI lane, and just use the regular lanes, YMMV. I came back about a month ago through regular lane and it was moving as fast as the READI lane.

John

[Edited on 7-7-2020 by John Harper]
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2020 at 08:28 AM

When you follow that video - right at the beginning - it is fairly easy to enter the wrong lane as you pass Smart and Final and go under the overpass, especially if you are looking specifically at the San Diego sign, which straddles the two lanes. Follow the directions specifically - I think he mentions the Colonia Something sign. If confused, err by staying a bit to the right.

It's easy to be distracted by the San Diego sign - I've done it twice and had to go the long way around to start again. Spacing out doesn't pay...

Otherwise, the video is super helpful. I used it for couple years.

Life is good...
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 02:20 PM
Update border crossing report

Drove Northbound yesterday and was going to just suck it up and cross through the regular lanes at San Ysidro. Website said just a 10 minute difference between Ready and regular lanes.

Just past the bull ring heading down the hill there was a plainly marked large sign in English that said Sentri and Ready Lanes. I followed the sign to another well marked sign that said the same and followed it. After around 5 clearly marked signs to the Sentri and Ready lane I followed them diligently just as much out of curiosity than anything else, this was great, they finally had marked it and marked it well, all those years of b-tching to myself, "why can't they just build some damn signs, it not that big of deal!"

Happy as a clam UNTIL I was in a line that was clearly marked SENTRI ONLY! I was trapped, no turning around as I was already by the pedestrian line. Beyond the point of no return! I'm screwed.

I get to the kiosk with my passport and passport card in hand and immediately apologize for my Faux Pax. I pleaded my case for a moment about what just happened and shut up. He did his normal checking in the computer and handed me back my passport and card and I was in shock. I apologized once more and he just took it in stride and wished me a nice day.

I am sure I am a marked man in the computer system and better be carful not to let it happen again. Only 15 minutes in line!

At this point I really don't know if they erred in the signage using both Sentri and Ready in the same sentence or I missed the last sign somewhere.

It was a good week down at La Buf, social distancing, not eating out and even took a ride with my buddy up to San Pedro Matir. Beautiful drive but the gate was locked at the 7,000 elevation point" due to the Covid."

If someone could report back on the signage, if I screwed up at the end or it's like a Venus fly trap, just teasing you to get you closer and closer before you potentially get eaten alive by the man.

George Bernard Shaw

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 03:49 PM

Howard.... you are absolutely correct
I followed the signs diligently in January, never missed a tick,
then suddenly the big San Diego sign distracted me and I was in the wrong lane.
Hard to imagine the time and effort to post so many good and clear signs, only to throw a fuzz ball at the last turn.

Grrrrrrrrrr
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 06:03 PM

Howard.... you are absolutely correct
I followed the signs diligently in January, never missed a tick,
then suddenly the big San Diego sign distracted me and I was in the wrong lane.
Hard to imagine the time and effort to post so many good and clear signs, only to throw a fuzz ball at the last turn.

Grrrrrrrrrr

So for future reference, right at the end there is a sign for San Diego and that's the one that gets you to the ready lane?

George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 07:22 PM

Ppl, you need to get SENTRI.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2020 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

1 in 3 people have a criminal record
1 in 30 people have a criminal conviction

-————

Global Entry is a risk-based approach to facilitate the entry of pre-approved travelers. Applicants may not qualify for Global Entry participation if they:

Provide false or incomplete information on the application;

Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges, including outstanding warrants;

Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;

Are subjects of an investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;

Are inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or if they

Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements.

————-

Reasons for Being Denied Global Entry:

Infractions involving prohibited or undeclared items (Think you can bring that mango into the country without telling anyone? Think again.)

DUI conviction (Yes, even if it was 20+ years ago.)

Unfavorable information from another government (Kicked out of Canada for rowdy behavior as a young adult? It’s probably still on your record.)

Being disrespectful to the agent during the Global Entry interview (Honestly, you should know better than to mess with authority.)

Failing to disclose pertinent information on your application

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 12:56 PM

Howard wrote: "So for future reference, right at the end there is a sign for San Diego and that's the one that gets you to the ready lane?"

I went back and watched the video, Howard - but I don't see the sign you are asking about. Point to a time on the video and I will see if I can figure it out.

[Edited on 7-10-2020 by TedZark]

Life is good...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

1 in 3 people have a criminal record
1 in 30 people have a criminal conviction

-————

Global Entry is a risk-based approach to facilitate the entry of pre-approved travelers. Applicants may not qualify for Global Entry participation if they:

Provide false or incomplete information on the application;

Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges, including outstanding warrants;

Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;

Are subjects of an investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;

Are inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or if they

Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements.

————-

Reasons for Being Denied Global Entry:

Infractions involving prohibited or undeclared items (Think you can bring that mango into the country without telling anyone? Think again.)

DUI conviction (Yes, even if it was 20+ years ago.)

Unfavorable information from another government (Kicked out of Canada for rowdy behavior as a young adult? It’s probably still on your record.)

Being disrespectful to the agent during the Global Entry interview (Honestly, you should know better than to mess with authority.)

Failing to disclose pertinent information on your application

DUI is only an issue if it's in the last 10 years.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Howard wrote: "So for future reference, right at the end there is a sign for San Diego and that's the one that gets you to the ready lane?"

I went back and watched the video, Howard - but I don't see the sign you are asking about. Point to a time on the video and I will see if I can figure it out.

[Edited on 7-10-2020 by TedZark]

I never saw that sucker. amazing what a couple of twisted words can make. What I meant to say is "is there", not "there is" So it should of read "So for future reference, right at the end is there a sign for San Diego and that's the one that gets you to the ready lane?"

Guess I got you all exited for no reason! :biggrin:

George Bernard Shaw

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 05:33 PM

Not excited at all. Trying to be helpful and answer your question.

Life is good...
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 05:41 PM

I was just kidding around, no harm meant.

George Bernard Shaw

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.