Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How Baja's new Prohibition is working Cross-border beer runs
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 04:00 PM
How Baja's new Prohibition is working Cross-border beer runs

On July 2, approximately 10,000 containers of beer in a delivery truck were seized by the city council of Mexicali — according to Mexican news outlets.

There’s no mention of the location where the smuggled cerveza was confiscated, but the reports say the beer runner was en route to distribute the ten pallets of brand beers to multiple stores within the border city neighboring Calexico, about 100 miles east of San Diego.

According to SintesisTV.com: “Netzahualcóyotl Jáuregui, secretary of Mexicali’s city council, said the distribution of beer is currently suspended, as it is not considered essential, and in addition, [even if the suspension was lifted, the truck driver] is required to have a permit from the municipality of Mexicali to be able to distribute significant quantities of the product. The 10,000 containers of beer were insured and are currently safeguarded in the basement of the Mexicali municipal palace. [Jáuregui] assured that the seizure was carried out in compliance with the law and municipal regulations, and said that the beer will be destroyed.”

On June 12, a restriction of beer sales was implemented within Mexicali to help deter mass gatherings.

Because of the citywide beer ban and shortage, Mexicali residents are traveling 45 miles east towards San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora — to stock up on beer and bring it back to Mexicali, which Jáuregui reportedly corroborated. The weekend prior to the 10K beer bust, 2,284 beers were reportedly seized and emptied within a three-day excursion, as Americans and Mexican nationals crossed the Calexico/Mexicali border.

“They should each stay in their respective countries until this [COVID-19] is controlled,” suggested Ed, a Mexicali resident. “And to close the borders between municipalities. People are dumb and do not understand that beer is not essential, on the contrary, it only generates crowds between people and therefore more contagions are eminent. Let’s be responsible!”

Around the same time that the ten pallets of beer were seized on July 2, the beer busts continued “1,000 meters” south of the Mexicali customs inspectors adjacent to the Calexico Port of Entry.

“My bro in Mexicali told me to buy some cheves (beers) from the Smart & Final in El Centro,” said Roberto V. from Encanto. “But my wife saw Facebook clips of retenes (checkpoints) making you throw away your beer when you cross them into Mexico. I’m not risking getting caught. That extra checkpoint is for COVID-19 — why are they also checking for beers? Isn’t that the freakin’ job of the aduanas (customs’ checkpoint)? That’s legit-wack, bro.”

Roberto was referring to a Facebook video posted on July 2 by Jorge Heras, a Mexicali news reporter.

Heras’ six-minute clip begins with a man emptying two six packs of Michelob Light on the side of the road by his white van.

“We have to follow the law,” he said, “[the police] said we can only have one 12 pack per car.”

“Many people come to visit Mexicali and bring beer for gatherings, and that’s where people get sick,” commented Liz from Brawley. “They’re checking car by car, and it takes ten hours [waiting in traffic]; people get discouraged and return home.”

Heras then interviewed a seemingly irate man as he cracked open Bud Light cans and emptied them into a metal trash receptacle.

“I’d rather drink this beer with you,” he said to Heras. “I’ve already spent one flocking hour in line, and last Friday [when the 2,284 beers were seized, I spent] four hours in this line, and had to work the next day on Saturday.”

“The question is if they bring the beer in for re-sale purposes and if it’s really for consumption,” opined Raquel from Calexico. “With all due respect, they did this man a favor for his health.”

Diego Knight, a American reporter that lives in Rosarito has been monitoring the beer movements throughout Baja.

“The Mexicali beer checkpoints started sometime in June and that’s when people began to bring beer across the border.”

“And how’s the beer flowing through Rosarito and Ensenada?” I asked Knight.

“In April, the beer situation began with the stop of production of Mexican breweries — since they were considered not-essential. But they had enough of supply to last the month of April. Well, May began and the big breweries still couldn’t produce, although the microbreweries began to work more. The microbreweries began to sell bottled and draft beer in Rosarito, although it was difficult to locate Indio, Tecate, Dos Equis, Bud Light and others in stores during May.

"Americans began bringing them down from the U.S., and some got busted and some didn’t. In the middle of June, large breweries began to deliver, including Tecate, Modelo, Indio, Corona and Dos Equis, but they were in limited numbers and once the beer was delivered, customers hoarded them. Within an hour all the beer in Rosarito was bought. You’d wait in line to get canned or bottled beer. One of the problems was that some people bought beer for their restaurants, then there was a limit on how many cases one could purchase. So residents would ask their friends or relatives to buy extras. As of July 6, in Rosarito you can find beer but you still have to get to the store early. I went to Smart & Final yesterday afternoon and only could buy Tecate rojo. My friend was their in the morning and saw various brands. Don Pisto liquor stores didn’t have beer until a week or so here in Rosarito, and not all of the stores have beer.”

“Last weekend, Ensenada began the prohibition of any alcohol past 9 p.m. They were considering going dry like Mexicali, but decided not to go that way.”

“And draft beer?” I asked Knight.

“Not too many places have draft beer here and no one knows when the kegs will be delivered.”

Link: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2020/jul/07/stringers-how-bajas-new-prohibition-working/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.