BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing Recommendations: San Quintin or Bay of LA
corazondeloso

[*] posted on 7-9-2020 at 05:57 PM
Fishing Recommendations: San Quintin or Bay of LA

Hello there. Looking to take my 10yr old super fishy son on a two day adventure down south out of San Diego to fish either Bay of LA via the new paved road or San Quintin.

Looking for a recent fish report/outlook as well as fishing reccos and pricing.

Thank you in advance, fellas. My son loves to fish and this would be a great memory, but don't want to break the bank or go for a boat ride if possible.

Tight lines-

Aaron
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-9-2020 at 07:11 PM

Two days for fishing or two days for the whole trip?
L.A. Bay is an 8 hour drive from San Diego. San Quintin is half that drive.
I hope you have fun!
Lots of fishing advice will be coming your way from the experts here!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2020 at 07:56 PM

If you have a 4x4 vehicle I suggest you cross over to the pacific side at Santa Rosalillita and head north along the coast. There are some really nice beaches where fishing is really good. Evening before dark and early morning are the best times to surf fish especially when the tide is coming in. Mostly yellow fin Croakers and a few Corbina. Stay away from the puffers. The surf perch are OK but too many bones to my liking. I think the best surf fishing is at Bahia Blanco further north. But if you are not familiar with the area it can be a little hard to get into.

Even in the middle of summer the cool wind off the ocean is great sleeping weather. Have fun and be safe.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2020 at 09:45 PM

In San Quintin , look up K M sportfishing a solid family operation. On Instagram it's Baja fishing family.
corazondeloso

[*] posted on 7-9-2020 at 09:55 PM

thank you. Appreciate all the info. And Im looking for 2 days of fishing, so up to 4 days on the road.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 02:46 AM

Don’t go to LA bay in summer. The summer is brutally hot. Stay on Pacific side for June-Sept. LA bay better in October to May.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 08:39 AM

Stay home :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like essential travel to me....

[Edited on 7-10-2020 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Stay home :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like essential travel to me....

[Edited on 7-10-2020 by motoged]

Good point!
I guess I kind of assumed he meant AFTER this was over and Mexico was open to tourism again? He did ask for recent fishing reports... my bad :(

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 10:54 AM

David,
See....we can agree on some things :light: :biggrin:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
See....we can agree on some things :light: :biggrin:

And even if we don't always agree, we can get along, I would be glad to be your chase vehicle again anytime Ged. My dog even likes you!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 11:26 AM

Nomad love fest!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 11:26 AM

Gary,
Well, your pooch is a great judge of character....:coolup:

And, yes, our paths will hopefully cross again sometime after the plague subsides......which might mean Baja is a few years away.

I need another few months of riding around Malarimo to get that area out of my system.....

Again....is it Bailey, Bay Lee or Hey You ?
Nomads deserve a pic of the princess.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 11:54 AM

awwwww.
hey can one of you 4x4 guys spot me if I get stuck?

to the OP, as noted, travel in Baja is currently somewhat restricted right now...
also your post is not clear on whether or not you want to take the kid on a boat: "dont want to break the bank or go for a boat ride" So, you dont want to go on a boat? Or you want to go on a cheap boat ride?
Fishing off the shore in Baja on the Pacific side can be fun, pick a spot in clean water and toss some bait, catches are small, but tasty.
Half day trips in SD are open, fun for a kid, crew fillets the fish. Of course the water in Baja is much cleaner, and fish taste better there than NOB

[Edited on 7-11-2020 by bajaric]
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 03:39 PM

It is a tossup fishing wise. Both are good but if you want to pull on yellowtail the bite is very good right now in Bahia. San Quintin yellowtail is hit or miss right now, can be great or not. But the rockfish and ling fishing in SQ is world class and of course they eat much better than Bahia yellowtail.

Weather wise, on the water, SQ can get windy anytime but if it does get breezy the inside rock fish spots produce and are somewhat protected. Much cooler air temps in SQ than LA Bay. La Bahia in July is friggin brutal. If you like it real hot that is your spot.

Bahia fishing captains are many with Dagget Sportfishing well known and there is Joel Prieto or my favorite Rafa Cuevas. Many panga options in La Bahia.

San Quintin, try Kelly's flock at K & M. Kelly settled in SQ years ago as a teenager when his mom and dad retired in San Quintin. He grew up fishing the area and he is the best, period. His boys now run the boats and they grew up fishing the area just like dad. They fish Parker pilothouses which although nicer than pangas cost more too.

Pangas, try Tiburon's pangas. Alberto Flores has been there a very long time and his captains know the area as well as anyone and the pangas are reasonably priced. Ask Beto if he knows if anyone has ever ran their boat into the old pier in broad daylight, ever?

We keep postponing our annual trip to Bahia for obvious reasons and now it is too hot for us. We would choose SQ July - September but if you have never been to LA BAy it is a special place in many ways.

Tough call but with only 4 days, I recommend San Quintin and of course try to stay at Jardines. Nice place and the restaurant next door will cook the days catch to your orders.

Enjoy!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 04:56 PM

I have fished with both Joel and Rafa. Boy Rafa must be up in years. Joel has bigger boats that can go out further. His son used to work with him don't know if he still does.
I have also been out with Angel, son of the late Marcos, the outboard
mechanic. Ruth at Raquel and Larry's knows how to get a hold of him Bahia is very hot. We usually stay on the North end of town where a nice breeze usually kicks up later in the day.
I wonder when the dorado will show.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vacaenbaja  
Boy Rafa must be up in years.

Yup, ain't we all. This pic is from around 1987 when Rafa and I were both in our mid 30s? Rafa started out as a hooligan working and living at the La Gringa fish camp and ir was a pretty rough place to hang and Rafa has the wounds attesting to that fact.

My first ex wife and I hired Rafa regularly as our guide and this picture is on our first panga. That panga, a 21 footer, was built in El Sauzal by RRRRosssendo Ramos, his glassman Fito and helping on the build was his then young son Tito.

Rafa mellowed out over the years as do most of us. We visited him last year but it was too windy to fish. But we managed to acquire a credit of 200 bucks for the next time. Somehow he managed to get me to pay "for a hamburger today" gladly offering to pay us back on "Tuesday."

Sorry for the hijack. I am so missing Baja right now and waxing "Popmano" helps a bit.

Rafa 87 edit.jpg - 40kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 06:12 PM

Juan Cook in San Quintin is an excellent captain! We have known him for years, he has come to La Bocana with fishermen who hire him to captain their boat.

San Quintin Bay Sports Fishing 011-521-616-109-6877

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.