Author: Subject: Status of Border for crossing into Mexico from SoCal
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 11:15 AM

the curve continues upward here in BCS please stay the F home
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 02:21 PM

You’re wanting first hand info and getting it. What ever reason nomads have for writing don’t go, that and some moral judgment is what’s being given. Plus US govt is saying don’t go IF your not essential.

Your call.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 05:56 PM
If you harbour such angst about the USA

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? .....

Ah....yes....the Boston Tea Party.

Wasn't that the brave political statement where the "independence seekers" dressed up as Native americans as they dumped tea into the harbour....?

Brave move to vilify others rather than stand up honestly for one's beliefs....:?:

History and spelling lesson #2 :light: :biggrin:

DON'T BOTHER TO COME HERE>>>>>
Stay home where your dollar doesn't buy much
73 cents??? Your government must really be doing something right. NOT!!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? .....

Ah....yes....the Boston Tea Party.

Wasn't that the brave political statement where the "independence seekers" dressed up as Native americans as they dumped tea into the harbour....?

Brave move to vilify others rather than stand up honestly for one's beliefs....:?:

History and spelling lesson #2 :light: :biggrin:

DON'T BOTHER TO COME HERE>>>>>

what a comment! i going to wager you are unaware that 20 countries have chosen to use the term dollar to describe their currency.....and what may be even more surprising to your US centric conciousness...they all have different values.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 10:31 AM

Ironically, Canada is now a better/safer place to stay than the USA, deaths per capita are ~2 times lower. I don't know whether this is because their government are doing it right, but this would be a reasonable explanation. In fact, most of the world is now safer than the USA.

[Edited on 7-14-2020 by Alm]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 10:41 AM

USA,USA,USA #1! "tired of winning yet"? lets hear a cheer for dear leader!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 11:20 AM

“There are Lies, Damned Lies and then there are Statistics!”, Mark Twain. Please look at BC, Ontario and Quebec! The death rate is much higher, BC ≈7% Ontario ≈7%, Quebec ≈ 10% and the U.S. ≈ 4% without NY and NJ the US is about 1%! Cuomo and Murphy should be in jail!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 11:26 AM

Thank you......:coolup:

I rest my case.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-curves-compare-canada-and-other-key-nations-1.4881500

And I don't plan on crossing into the usa for at least a year....so my $0.73 will keep our suffering economy rather than americans'.

Utah would be my next destination south of the 49th if the plague diminishes enough ( like....gone) as I am not done riding there.

Maybe a visit with good friends in Arizona after Utah....but such travel plans are simply a fantasy at this time.

[Edited on 7-14-2020 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
“There are Lies, Damned Lies and then there are Statistics!”, Mark Twain. Please look at BC, Ontario and Quebec! The death rate is much higher, BC ≈7% Ontario ≈7%, Quebec ≈ 10% and the U.S. ≈ 4% without NY and NJ the US is about 1%!

There is statistics and there are people who don't know what to look for, in statistics. The quote is not by Mark Twain, btw. He thought it was British prime minister Disraeli who said this but he was wrong.

There is no such measure as "death rate". You seem to respond to the post that was about deaths per capita, but quoting case fatality numbers instead. In Canada they have 4 times lower cases per capita (than in the US) and 2 times lower deaths per capita, so case fatality (=deaths per case) is 2 times higher. In other words, if they get sick they are twice as likely to die. Hard to tell why. Could be nursing homes of lower standards.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by savage44  
We’ll be off grid and in a better state of isolation on a desolate beach By ourselves than in our home town where we’re grocery shopping every four days, getting gas, etc.

Unless you travel in some sort of post-apocalypse vehicle with recirculated air, full supply of food, water and enormous fuel tank - you WILL rub elbows with locals. There are still groceries to buy, fresh water, gas station attendants (and their questionable washrooms), checkpoints on highways and maybe at the border as well, tool booths, an odd camping or motel now and then. Possibly 10-15 contacts in 1-week trip.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by savage44  
We’ll be off grid and in a better state of isolation on a desolate beach By ourselves than in our home town where we’re grocery shopping every four days, getting gas, etc.

Unless you travel in some sort of post-apocalypse vehicle with recirculated air, full supply of food, water and enormous fuel tank - you WILL rub elbows with locals. There are still groceries to buy, fresh water, gas station attendants (and their questionable washrooms), checkpoints on highways and maybe at the border as well, tool booths, an odd camping or motel now and then. Possibly 10-15 contacts in 1-week trip.

X2

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Ironically, Canada is now a better/safer place to stay than the USA, deaths per capita are ~2 times lower. I don't know whether this is because their government are doing it right, but this would be a reasonable explanation. In fact, most of the world is now safer than the USA.

Amongst the first-world countries, usa appears to be doing worst at controlling the epidemic. I look at the current leadership in white house and shake my head when they open their mouths...
Our govts response to public health emergency is fomenting whacko conspiracy theories and, first, labeling the disease a hoax, and second, saying the statistics and deaths are a liberal plot to steal the election...
Does anyone feel safe and secure with the current nutty leadership?
Only people that appear to be trustworthy are Fauci and the scientists, but the nutty pres is trying to stab them in the back,

[Edited on 7-14-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2020 at 07:45 PM

&There is no such measure as "death rate". You seem to respond to the post that was about deaths per capita, but quoting case fatality numbers instead. In Canada they have 4 times lower cases per capita (than in the US) and 2 times lower deaths per capita, so case fatality (=deaths per case) is 2 times higher. In other words, if they get sick they are twice as likely to die. Hard to tell why. Could be nursing homes of lower standards.”

Sorry to disappoint but Johns Hopkins” calculates number of deaths per number of reported cases. Canada especially Quebec sucks! Mexico sucks! Canada can’t have bad nursing homes, they have government healthcare! Come to think of it so does The UK, France, Spain and Mexico. All of which have more deaths per reported cases than does the US.

It’s not how many get it, it’s how many die from it!

“Mark Twain popularized the saying in Chapters from My Autobiography, published in the North American Review in 1907“
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2020 at 03:14 PM

" It’s not how many get it, it’s how many die from it!"

Not exactly. This virus has been shown to have some severe long-term effects on infected people, even if they never feel that sick with the virus, or are even asymptomatic. Neurological damage, long-term damage to organs and vascular system, ongoing exhaustion, etc.

It isn't just a matter of you get it and get better, or get it and die. It's much more insidious than that.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Sorry to disappoint but Johns Hopkins” calculates number of deaths per number of reported cases. Canada especially Quebec sucks! Mexico sucks! Canada can’t have bad nursing homes, they have government healthcare! Come to think of it so does The UK, France, Spain and Mexico. All of which have more deaths per reported cases than does the US.

It’s not how many get it, it’s how many die from it!

“Mark Twain popularized the saying in Chapters from My Autobiography, published in the North American Review in 1907“

Incorrect on most points.

"Death rate" is not a definition. Deaths per confirmed cases is just that - deaths per confirmed cases. There are also deaths per capita which JH also reports.

I've looked into Canadian statistics and they do have subset of deaths in nursing homes at higher % than in the USA. This confirms my earlier theory as to the reason of higher deaths per confirmed case despite lower deaths per capita (than in the USA).

As to the "it’s how many die from it" - Surabi has covered this so I won't repeat.

Again, that quotation is not by Mark Twain. He popularized it, saying that it belonged to Disraeli - which it didn't. The great satiric wasn't a very educated man, he dropped out of school in Grade 5.

[Edited on 7-17-2020 by Alm]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 11:34 AM

In usa the trump admin did not like the covid19 hospital stats reported by cdc, so starting this week white house took over And prohibited cdc from compiling and releasing stats. Expect the wh to do what trump does best, cover-up and lie...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 12:32 PM

It will be refreshing to have some truth rather than the labeling of deaths by heart attack, stroke. etc., as all being from Covid-19.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 01:05 PM

It will be refreshing to have some truth rather than the labeling of deaths by heart attack, stroke. etc., as all being from Covid-19.

Given the allegations of exaggeration in either direction, it's probably going to come down to a comparison of the death rate during 2020 versus the death rate over previous years - similar to what was done to come up with a more accurate accounting of the casualties due to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico in 2017. Again, this would only be an estimate, but it might be the closest we'll get to an accurate count without suppression of hospital data or padding the statistics to support a political narrative.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 01:24 PM

Too bad it’s about politics not truth. As an example!

“ It isn't just a matter of you get it and get better, or get it and die. It's much more insidious than that.”

Brilliant!

There are 330 million people in this country and if you look hard enough you can find Some number that react differently to diseases and even drugs. In fact you can find “normal looking” people who’s heart is on the opposite side of their body from most. It’s common and well known in the medical community. The search for something bad that might happen in the future but can’t be seen today will continue right up until the election even if there are vaccines and treatments available.

What there won’t be is a single word of blame for the Chinese Government or their minions at the WHO because it won’t support the political narrative being pushed!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 01:31 PM

“Given the allegations of exaggeration in either direction, it's probably going to come down to a comparison of the death rate during 2020 versus the death rate over previous years - similar to what was done to come up with a more accurate accounting of the casualties due to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico in 2017. Again, this would only be an estimate, but it might be the closest we'll get to an accurate count without suppression of hospital data or padding the statistics to support a political narrative.”

Already posted here. The CDC updates “deaths from all causes” weekly on Wednesday. Guess what total deaths have been down for weeks!

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.