Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Montana Plates Instead of South Dakota
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 06:46 AM
Montana Plates Instead of South Dakota

As much as I appreciate the friendly, helpful ladies of Clay County, I heard that an increasing amount of people are registering vehicles in Montana.

I just sent all my paperwork for a newly-purchased vehicle to Clay County and the itemized costs have all gone up.

I've looked high and low and can't seem to find the answer to this question: Which county in Montana does non-resident vehicle registrations?
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 07:19 AM

Not to answer your question, but just finished with Clay county.
Initial payment includes $30 service fee, $4 credit card fee, $50 late title fee (because I waited more than 45 days to apply for a title after buying the vehicle).
So my next year's fee will be minus this stuff, and can be done online. It's a little under $70 per year for a 2004 Accord.
A lot cheaper than driving it to Phoenix to be inspected.

I sort of miss the old days of printing up my own registration and making my own plate stickers.
It's nice to be legal with insurance now, even on my beater/loaner.
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 07:36 AM

I'm comparing the costs to 2012 registrations I did and obviously there are going to be cost increases but double? And I got the $50+ "late fee" as well when I'm under no obligation whatsoever to register anything with Clay County by any date.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 07:59 AM

I have an LLC in Montana and I investigated registration there. Cant remember all the details but it was doable, for me anyway, but ended up going with SD in the end. Don't think the price was much different but there probably was some extra jerking around.

I called the DMV there and they were very helpful, detailed exactly what I needed to do.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 05:26 AM

I have had both. Currently my rigs are registered in SD. Very happy with them...Back in the day, I registered a NEW Chevy truck in Montana to avoid a hefty sales tax, Montana had no sales tax then. I went to Helena, told the county clerk a trumpie or two, got a Drivers licence using the address of a friend who lived there. I got my Montana Tags, saved my money, and returned to Baja. So far so good. UNTIL ....My buddy called me to inform me that a Deputy had been to his place to serve an arrest warrant on me! FOR.....refusing to answer a jury summons...Unintended consequences! Pretty funny actually....except for the cost of getting my self out of that mess...
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 09:17 AM

i am a resident of SD....I vote there, and have a SD driver's license.
but i plate my cars in MT. i have land there a pay property tax...without which i couldn't register cars there [ lake county]
neither place is cheap. you can get permanent plates for cars over 10yo in mt.

LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 11:18 AM

Does anyone know which county in Montana does non-resident vehicle registrations?
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 11:50 AM

Arizona doesn't require a front license plate, thankfully the SENTRI has a camera that reads the rear plate now.
The lack of a front plate got me a secondary inspection a couple times.

Es Todo Bueno
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 09:13 PM
If you have an Alaska address.....

Registration is $100 per year for cars and light trucks (+$35 if in Anchorage)

If you are over 65, or disabled, one vehicle is eligible for free permanent registration.

No smog inspection required.

Unless you choose a one year renewal, two years is the standard renewal.

Everywhere I have been in Mexico, the Alaska plate has frequently been a conversation starter!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 09:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Entonces... are you renting yours out for some of us to use? :cool:

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Entonces... are you renting yours out for some of us to use? :cool:

I sold my house last year, so at least on paper, my ex and I are back together!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 05:14 AM

Answering Lenchos question...There is no monetary advantage Ks vs SD. Its just easier and simpler, particularly if I am not in the country. SD? One phone call and done. Kansas at least one trip to the courthouse.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.