BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Let's talk about jacks; What jack(s) do you take with you on trips to Baja
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 03:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The off road floor jacks are the favorites for prerunners and racers. These guys spend a ridiculous amount of dollars modifying to suit. The most compact ones have no wheels, but have a skid so they don't sink in the sand. Most users have a special bracket custom made to allow it to be stored in a convenient place. All the ones I have used are heavier than my 20 lb bottle jack and very awkward to use. I hate them. IMO they are totally unnecessary and I could never find a place to locate a bracket. Without the dedicated bracket the things take up way to much space to be practical.
For use in the pits I have seen much larger units with fat tires to prevent sinking in the sand and they still have a flat skid when using for lifting. Way impractical due to size and the lift height it is very high and the minimum or collapses height wont work on any thing with normal sized tires.
Then there is the issue of finding a floor jack that is light and actually works. Any of them that are smaller than what the local tire shop uses are terribly unreliable and fragile.

Watch the video I posted. It comes with skid so it won't sink in the sand/mud. It also comes with a mounting backet. There is an extension that lets it lift higher than a normal floor jack. I have a big 3/4 ton with a rack. Lots of room.

Bottle jack isn't great for the sand. Hi lift jack is super bulky and super dangerous.

Think a bottle jack + a good offroad floor jack is the best combo if you have the space.

[Edited on 7-23-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 04:45 PM

On my F-250 4x4 extended-cab pickup with a 1000 lb. steel Callen camper on it, I want strong stuff to lift and pull it. I carry a stubby 20 ton bottle jack, with a custom made 10" x 15" 3/8th steel "pad" with non-skid steel projections on the bottom as a platform for the bottle-jack & a high-lift jack. Plus of course the factory jack, which I have never used. I also normally have a 60" Hi-lift jack attached to the steel rack on top of the Callen Camper, which also uses (fits) the custom-made steel pad as previously described. I have never needed more than that-------but they are heavy. I also have a Warn 9.5K lb. elec. winch (steel cable) which can be easily moved to either the front or back trailer-hitch assembly's along with a heavy-duty snatch-block for really heavy duty winching. I learned the hard way to be prepared in back-road Baja where we always spent our time and are sometimes solo. What some described as "over-kill" I called "peace of mind".

[Edited on 7-24-2020 by Barry A.]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I don't want to fool around with the dangers on using a high lift jack. Plus don't have the lift points anyway.

Convince me that an off-road floor jack isn't a lot better?

I use my jack about once every three years. I like the stock jack in my truck that stays in it’s place out of the way...
A floor jack would just be in the way... pain in the a$$ to haul things in the truck that rarely get used...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The off road floor jacks are the favorites for prerunners and racers. These guys spend a ridiculous amount of dollars modifying to suit. The most compact ones have no wheels, but have a skid so they don't sink in the sand. Most users have a special bracket custom made to allow it to be stored in a convenient place. All the ones I have used are heavier than my 20 lb bottle jack and very awkward to use. I hate them. IMO they are totally unnecessary and I could never find a place to locate a bracket. Without the dedicated bracket the things take up way to much space to be practical.
For use in the pits I have seen much larger units with fat tires to prevent sinking in the sand and they still have a flat skid when using for lifting. Way impractical due to size and the lift height it is very high and the minimum or collapses height wont work on any thing with normal sized tires.
Then there is the issue of finding a floor jack that is light and actually works. Any of them that are smaller than what the local tire shop uses are terribly unreliable and fragile.

Watch the video I posted. It comes with skid so it won't sink in the sand/mud. It also comes with a mounting backet. There is an extension that lets it lift higher than a normal floor jack. I have a big 3/4 ton with a rack. Lots of room.

Bottle jack isn't great for the sand. Hi lift jack is super bulky and super dangerous.

Think a bottle jack + a good offroad floor jack is the best combo if you have the space.

[Edited on 7-23-2020 by JZ]

Bottle jack works great in sand if you put a board or wide rock under it.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Bottle jack works great in sand if you put a board or wide rock under it.

I used to carry two 18" 4 x 12s with me. One worked great as a bottle jack base, and two worked for leveling off the truck/camper when parked.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 07:19 PM

2 bottle jacks for the Class C. Nothing for the Class A as a pro needs to change the tire (22.5'' wheel).

With hydraulic levelers on the Class C, I can raise the tires off the ground if they need replacing.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 07:45 PM

Can’t beat a floor jack, especially the aluminum ones. I carry a 3 ton with a collapsible handle, a 1’x3’ sheet of plywood, and 2’ 4x4. Really doesn’t take up much room at all and is 1000x better than a bottle jack or high lift for 99% of the issues you’ll run in to. If you can’t find room for a small floor jack you’re taking too much stuff.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 07:47 PM

Also JZ, lot easier to work on a dirt bike on a floor jack than a bottle jack or high lift, if you have too.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Also JZ, lot easier to work on a dirt bike on a floor jack than a bottle jack or high lift, if you have too.

Good input, thank you.

I'm gonna to try to mount it to the bottom of the rack. About 2/3'rds of the way into the bed. A space we would never use. Put it in a nice water proof bag or something.

[Edited on 7-24-2020 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 08:18 PM

Sounds awesome. Probably don’t even need the bag if you get the aluminum one unless you’re gonna leave it in your truck 100% of the time.

Two things I don’t leave home without anymore: a floor jack and a full size shovel. Tired of digging from my knees with some short handled thing and I’ve crawled under enough cars to set my bottle jack to change a tire. Worth their weight and space in gold in my opinion.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 08:22 PM
How about a high lift bottle jack?

It got me out of a sink hole I caught with my right front wheel just north of Datil!

I tried to post a pic, but failed! I can forward it to an e-mail address if someone wants to try and post it, U2U would be best.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It got me out of a sink hole I caught with my right front wheel just north of Datil!

I tried to post a pic, but failed! I can forward it to an e-mail address if someone wants to try and post it, U2U would be best.

Fun stuff!

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 12:19 AM

I don't want to fool around with the dangers on using a high lift jack. Plus don't have the lift points anyway.

A floor jack is nearly perfect for one thing: raising either one corner, or one end of a vehicle, vertically. (And, if on concrete or asphalt, you can scoot an end of the vehicle sideways). A hydraulic bottle jack is good for raising one corner, though unstable for raising one end of a vehicle.

A Hi-Lift is versatile for a multitude of tasks, including, lifting, moving the end of the vehicle sideways, pulling/winching. Just a few of the tasks I've done: Lifting then pushing the vehicle sideways several feet, winching (albeit slowly) out of a stuck situation, pulling/removing fence posts, straightening steel cattle gates and corral panels, lifting trailer tongues, realigning the roof of a woodcutting shed, straightening tie rods w/o removal, unseating tire beads, lifting timbers, tensioning wire rope (w/ a Haven's grip), moving boulders and high-centered vehicles.
No doubt there are dozens of other uses shown on the internet.

Put another way, a bottle jack is like having a wrench in your tool bag. A floor jack is like having a big adjustable wrench in the bag. A Hi-Lift, along with a few simple accessories, is like having the bag of tools at your disposal.

A Hi-Lift is not for someone who is unlikely to study instructions for use and safety, or who does not maintain situational awareness while working with loads and equipment. It is better suited for vehicles with real offroad bumpers or dock bumper. It will likely scrape the paint off the bumper, and it will also get you unstuck and back on the trail again.

Would I go four-wheeling in Baja without a winch? Yes. Would I go without a shovel? Yes. Would I go without those new-fangled plastic traction boards? Yes. Would I go without a Hi-Lift? Absolutely not!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 06:14 AM

there are situations where a hylift jack is the correct tool. i carry one... and use it as infrequently as I can.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

A floor jack is nearly perfect for one thing: raising either one corner, or one end of a vehicle, vertically. (And, if on concrete or asphalt, you can scoot an end of the vehicle sideways). A hydraulic bottle jack is good for raising one corner, though unstable for raising one end of a vehicle.

A Hi-Lift is versatile for a multitude of tasks, including, lifting, moving the end of the vehicle sideways, pulling/winching. Just a few of the tasks I've done: Lifting then pushing the vehicle sideways several feet, winching (albeit slowly) out of a stuck situation, pulling/removing fence posts, straightening steel cattle gates and corral panels, lifting trailer tongues, realigning the roof of a woodcutting shed, straightening tie rods w/o removal, unseating tire beads, lifting timbers, tensioning wire rope (w/ a Haven's grip), moving boulders and high-centered vehicles.
No doubt there are dozens of other uses shown on the internet.

Put another way, a bottle jack is like having a wrench in your tool bag. A floor jack is like having a big adjustable wrench in the bag. A Hi-Lift, along with a few simple accessories, is like having the bag of tools at your disposal.

A Hi-Lift is not for someone who is unlikely to study instructions for use and safety, or who does not maintain situational awareness while working with loads and equipment. It is better suited for vehicles with real offroad bumpers or dock bumper. It will likely scrape the paint off the bumper, and it will also get you unstuck and back on the trail again.

Would I go four-wheeling in Baja without a winch? Yes. Would I go without a shovel? Yes. Would I go without those new-fangled plastic traction boards? Yes. Would I go without a Hi-Lift? Absolutely not!

For me, the one tool I would not go to Baja without is a tire pump (air compressor). I have never needed a winch, traction boards, or high-lift jack. I do have a folding army shovel in my truck along with a tow strap (to help other people who do get stuck... because they didn't deflate).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 10:44 AM

A $120 exhaust jack lifts several tons 30” or more. That’s enough to place boards or mats under the wheels. It’s easy to store as well. We carry a full set of tools to unstick ourselves and others including a winch.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 11:45 AM

JZ, I think the jack you posted the video is a good choice for home but not sure for travel? If it's in the bed it's taking up some space and needs to be locked down to prevent theft.
A bottle jack and some kind of base metal/wood, would be easier to store and take up less space. If you running a shell or bed toper it probably wouldn't matter as much?
No kids in my life so I took the rear seats out of my crew cab and built a box to store tools and gear such as a jack. The dogs love the carpeted box and our luggage and ARB fridge are always safe inside. I'm sure most people use the rear seat as a seat.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Fun stuff!

Ah yes... "GOPHER HOLES"! (or any tunnel making critter) Is what we called that...

I remember my early days of four wheeling in a Jeep, out by the Superstition Hills, Imperial Valley... sandy hills just like in the photos and then just FLOP... sink down several inches! Fortunately, my Jeep had Quadra Trac with the 'Emergency Lock-out' feature (Center differential locker) and I powered out okay...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 02:23 PM

It possibly started as a critter hole, but the heavy rains of 2014 turned it into a manhole, with a thin layer of roots and dirt to hide it. The Kia was resting on the frame and bumper with the right front wheel hanging, and the left rear almost off the ground!

I had to jack up the front just to get a shovel under it! The bottom photo shows the fill I packed into the hole to give me something to set the car back down on.

It didn't help that I was pulling a trailer (just visible in the top photo). I disconnected it and rolled it out of the way until I was mobile again.

At least I didn't get stuck! I mean, I did not need help to get back on the road, so I was just "delayed'.

By the way, I am not lifting the front by that plastic bumper. The jack has hooks for a chain that passed through the bumper and hooked to the frame.

[Edited on 7-24-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 03:24 PM

a jack you say! what would you recommend here? (from peter geller on fb)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.