BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Let's talk about jacks; What jack(s) do you take with you on trips to Baja
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 04:53 PM

Don----------Hmmmmm, I sky-hook might work. That is a really sad predicament!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

At least I didn't get stuck! I mean, I did not need help to get back on the road, so I was just "delayed'.

By the way, I am not lifting the front by that plastic bumper. The jack has hooks for a chain that passed through the bumper and hooked to the frame.

I used the term "temporarily immobile" if the ground benief my tires didn't cooperate! Letting more air out of my tires always worked!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
a jack you say! what would you recommend here? (from peter geller on fb)

You're probably joking, but if you want a serious answer:
Dig under the rear bumper. There is likely a 2" receiver hitch. If so, dig down enough to place a plywood base for the jack. If no plywood, the spare tire is an option. Lift the rear with the Hi-Lift. Fill in the holes where the tires were. Air down to 6 or 8 psi. Then hope that you have a 4x4 with a winch. Attach a snatch block to the receiver hitch and run the wire rope back to the winching vehicle to double the line pull (twice the pulling power, but at half the speed). Dig the 4x4 in using 2WD, then 4x4 so that it sinks into the sand. Otherwise the winching vehicle will slide forward. Pop the hood up to prevent shackle/wire rope flying through the windshield. Weight the wire rope with a tool bag on a carabiner, or use whatever you have. Engine running for higher voltage to the winch = more power. Make sure that the stuck vehicle is in neutral, parking brake released. Front tires pointed straight ahead. If no winch, then a hefty recovery strap. Keep the bystanders well out of the way. Designate a person to monitor that because there will be dozens drinking beer and sticking their noses into dangerous business.

This is a deep stuck situation with sand filled all around. Particularly bad as the tires are completely blocked with sand and their will be suction to overcome. It might take a couple winches simultaneosuly or 2, even 3 vehicles with tow straps. Might involve digging down to reach axles for attachment points. This vehicle is unibody contruction, so there may not be strong attachment points on the sheetmetal subframe. Cross fingers and hope that parts don't rip loose before this SUV comes out.

I've recovered a few near San Felipe that were stuck this bad. More muddy than sandy. Almost always prefer to rig multiple tow straps to other trucks. I dislike risking my vehicle by using the winch in a tidal zone or getting salt water on my undercarriage.

This is one situation where an exhaust jack might work well for the initial raising to the point where it can be winched or pulled.

How would other Nomads approach this stuck situation?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 05:47 PM

Report it stolen? :?:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 06:28 PM

Sign the pink slip over to the highest bidder. You might get a couple hundred dollars.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

You're probably joking, but if you want a serious answer:
Dig under the rear bumper. There is likely a 2" receiver hitch. If so, dig down enough to place a plywood base for the jack. If no plywood, the spare tire is an option. Lift the rear with the Hi-Lift. Fill in the holes where the tires were. Air down to 6 or 8 psi. Then hope that you have a 4x4 with a winch. Attach a snatch block to the receiver hitch and run the wire rope back to the winching vehicle to double the line pull (twice the pulling power, but at half the speed). Dig the 4x4 in using 2WD, then 4x4 so that it sinks into the sand. Otherwise the winching vehicle will slide forward. Pop the hood up to prevent shackle/wire rope flying through the windshield. Weight the wire rope with a tool bag on a carabiner, or use whatever you have. Engine running for higher voltage to the winch = more power. Make sure that the stuck vehicle is in neutral, parking brake released. Front tires pointed straight ahead. If no winch, then a hefty recovery strap. Keep the bystanders well out of the way. Designate a person to monitor that because there will be dozens drinking beer and sticking their noses into dangerous business.

This is a deep stuck situation with sand filled all around. Particularly bad as the tires are completely blocked with sand and their will be suction to overcome. It might take a couple winches simultaneosuly or 2, even 3 vehicles with tow straps. Might involve digging down to reach axles for attachment points. This vehicle is unibody contruction, so there may not be strong attachment points on the sheetmetal subframe. Cross fingers and hope that parts don't rip loose before this SUV comes out.

I've recovered a few near San Felipe that were stuck this bad. More muddy than sandy. Almost always prefer to rig multiple tow straps to other trucks. I dislike risking my vehicle by using the winch in a tidal zone or getting salt water on my undercarriage.

This is one situation where an exhaust jack might work well for the initial raising to the point where it can be winched or pulled.

How would other Nomads approach this stuck situation?

Very thorough answer.

My answer would be, go get a tractor.

[Edited on 7-25-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
a jack you say! what would you recommend here? (from peter geller on fb)

It’s illegal to drive on the beach.

Karma.

I would drive by that chit show w/o stopping, you cant fix stupid.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 09:18 PM

I agree, tractor or excavator! Probably a little to late...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2020 at 04:55 AM

It's not stuck at all, it's just a hoax.

John
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-25-2020 at 07:14 AM

In the old days (‘70s) when you could drive and camp on the beach South of Pismo (which is West of Los Angeles). Such sights were very common!

The gas station in Pismo next to the beach as I remember it, had a military Wrecker built on a duce and a half chassis. It had a PTO winch with a hundred or so feet of steel cable on it! For a few hundred dollars and more than a few acerbic comments from the other 4 wheelers who gathered to drink beer and shout “encouragement”, the “dead Head” driver would retrieve your “mistake“ and drag it back to the paved road in town!

Sadly, those days are gone, but the “stupid” lives on. “Darwin and Murphy” never sleep, “It’s a 4X4! It won’t get stuck!” is as great a lie as “I’m from the government and I’m here to help you”! Carry several jacks and shovels always! A winch and a deadman are nice too! Don’t forget to bring lots of beer and water!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2020 at 07:50 AM

I have a large come along that a welder made for me. It has a removable 4Ft pipe handle. It has 200 ft of 5/16 Amsteel on the drum and I have a snatch block I rig up to get a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage. I also carry a danforth anchor that I use as a dead man.

I have only needed it a couple of times but I was very glad I had it. 5/16 Amsteel is rope that is as strong as 3/8 steel cable and moves through a block smoothly. Great stuff. I would swap out the steel cable on your winches with this product. Buy it at a commercial fishing store. It will be cheaper there than anywhere else.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2020 at 08:14 AM

JZ, I carry the Pro Eagle and have the mount and skidplate from Solo Motorsports. Great combo if you have the room to mount it. I drilled a hole in mine and added a lock to it so that my jack doesn't walk off. They also make one for the cheaper Harbor Freight jack. Here is the link:

https://solomotorsports.com/shop/parts/general-parts/pro-eag...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-31-2020 at 04:15 PM

I carry tire plugs and tire cement in both Jeeps. Dual compressors/Air Tank in TJ and CO2 in Gladiator. The TJ has a Hi-Lift and a Hi-Lift Base. I'm thinking about buying another Hi-Lift for the Gladiator, but that ARB hydraulic lift is what I really want.

I like to air down my tires to 8 psi on sand and on the trails on both Jeeps.

Pole Line Road - Rich T. plugged a cut sidewall on Saturnino Valdez's Bronco. This went really fast, and Saturnino made it back home to Mexicali that evening on the repaired tire without incident.

I have only sliced one sidewall, requiring a full tire replacement on the trail over the past 20 years. On a day trip south of Bay of L.A. to look at the mangrove area, Tom Severin of Badlands 4x4 had to turn back and return to camp after his BFGoodrich AT sidewall was completely destroyed on the trail south of L.A. Bay. I believe that he also used a Hi-Lift to remove the unrepairable tire on the trail.

Airing up after Calamajue Wash/Pioneer Trail - February 2019. Everyone on the run had on-board air of some type.

Doctor Dave's on-board setup had a special t-split that allowed for continuous pressure at all four tires. He was really proud to show me this system that he produced for the 'El Imposible' trail run - February 2019.

[Edited on 7-31-2020 by Ken Cooke]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.