Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Real Estate
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 10:39 AM
Baja Real Estate

Slow Learner

I guess I just don?t pay attention. When I lived in Nevada I knew the land was more than 70% owned by the Federal Government. When I spent a short time in Texas I was surprised to learn that hardly any land there was owned by the government or the state. When I retired to Mexico I bought a little house on land that was originally owned by the ejido, the original farmers/ranchers in the area. Our little town has scores, perhaps hundreds of unimproved lots granted to members of the ejido years ago.
Our little village by the shore is SLOWLY giving way to new gringo retirees who buy the lots, build a retirement place. The lots are affordable, most of the new homes modest but comfortable. The next village, about 20 miles northeast of us, has been having a real estate boom ? lots are$200,000 U.S. (some close to a million), homes are lavish and expensive. They are actually running out of room to build more homes ? seaside mountain tops are being sheared off to make more space. Almost all the Mexicans have been displaced by the boom ? those that stay have a hard time paying the new gringo prices for everything sold in the town.
After almost ten years here I just discovered a big part of the reason for our glaring differences ? the land in the nearby town is NOT EJIDO LAND. It was granted by the then President of Mexico to a chosen few families in that area. They held individual deeds to the property, legally subdivided and sold the land as fast as the gringo realtors could find buyers. Since the realtors view ejido titles murky or worthless they have left us alone to make our own small, quiet, private realty market ? just Mexicans with small lots who set a fair price, sell to gringos who have moderate sums to risk on property they hope to have and hold without future claims.
This situation has to led to a win-win thing for me. I get to live in sleepymexicantown, my Mexican friends and neighbors are not displaced. If they were I?d much prefer they go north. When they get to California their work becomes a part of the U.S. economy, helping to stave off problems with my Social Security. The 9.8 billion dollars they send back here buoys up the Mexican economy; keeps the peso stable so my cost of living can be predicted, planned for. I need that because God knows, when Home Depot opens in Cabo I?m gonna go a little crazy along with all the others.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 11:00 AM

I hope you have more than ejido title.if not you don't have anything. a roll of toilet paper is better than an ejido title.

Do you mean a corett title issued to the Ejido. those are usually pretty good.

[Edited on 3-27-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 07:48 AM
landowners

We live in the growing cimmunity of los Barriles which is about 20 miles north of la Rebiera, most of the Mexicans here own their own homes here, have fairly new cars and have no need to leave the area for employment, because of our thriving tourists and construction industries. Also there are large subdivisons that are available and afordable to the average Mexican $2,500-$4000 U.S
aletarw

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 04:43 PM

My husband and I want to explore the possibility of retiring to Baha Sur. Currently interested in Loreto, Todos Santos, and La Paz (first choice).

Want waterfront. Don't want to spend more than $500k. Is that possible?

We will be visiting in June. Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be appreciated.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 06:21 PM

Todos Santos is nice I think you would like it and I am sure you could find lots of places in that Price range.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 10:48 PM

As a person who has spent mucho time around real estate in mexico as recent as "now". all 3 places you mention will allow you waterfront for that price. I am certain you know this, but each place you have suggested is entirely different in 'chemistry' and offerings. By the off chance you are not, please ask on this board and there are many wiser than I that can provide you insight that money could not buy.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 06:44 AM

Pompano,

How much $ to buy your life ?

Baja fishing boat $10,000
Baja Jeep $5000
Baja House $50,000
Cream Pies $$$$$$$
Living your life - PRICELESS !
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 07:15 AM
Buying question

dono. When your in Loreto, I'd ask for only "Alex" at Alexander Real Estate. Or look up his website before you come down. If I ever wanted to deal in real estate, he's the only one in town I would use.
Can't help you with LaPaz realtors.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.