BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Tortugas or? to Cedros
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 10:47 AM
Bahia Tortugas or? to Cedros

Just dreaming here.

Has anyone ever taken their boat to Cedros? According to Google it's 39 miles. Does anyone know of a place that has a closer crossing?

I want to fish. I need to fish but due to Covid I am not willing to get into a small plane with strangers to fish.

I am willing to pay for a fishing package for lodging, fishing and eating but would like to use my way of getting there and my boat.

Cedros Outdoor Adventure has packages and I will call them, any other suggestions?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 10:53 AM

Isla Natividad has some stellar YT fishing and is only 5 miles ish offshore, stopped there a few times on some long range boats before and loaded up.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 12:38 PM

From Punta Eugenia to the closest point on Cedros is less than 14 miles. Not sure when you are planning your trip but the island is basically closed down to tourist right now, as I'm sure Cedros Outdoor Adventures will tell you. All of their activities have been cancelled since around May. Launching in Punta Eugenia and fishing the island is not out of the question but you'll need a place to stay, other than on the island. Natividad is also closed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 12:47 PM

Yes, Punta Eugenia. They ferry people (surfers) across to Isla Natividad so I bet Cedros, which is beyond Natividad, could be possible?

Entering Punta Eugenia, boat launch is just ahead.

That's Isla Natividad, straight out from Punta Eugenia.

Isla Cedros, in the haze, as seen from just past Punta Eugenia. See the white/ salt hill at the Cedros port for the Guerrero Negro salt transfers to deep sea vessels.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 03:28 PM

Rossman in correct. I spoke with Cedros Outdoor and the island is closed until sometime in August and who knows about then.

Hey map boy, :biggrin: how abut a map from highway 1 to Punta Eugenia?

What is the road like as I don't want it to rough if I am pulling a boat and trailer?

George Bernard Shaw

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 03:28 PM

my amigo Tomas Arce is a stellar fishing charter captain who I sent lots of guests to....he rents rooms in a really nice house in Pta.Eugenia...super clean with beautiful beds and a full kitchen and very economical....around $20 a room.

So you get there and stay the night to fish with him or he can take you to Cedros or Natividad and fish you too. Nothing but great comments from folks who fish with him.

He is on FAcebook and Google Maps or cal him at 615-103-9734 and tell him Shari gave you his number.
I did a facebook post about our stay there last week.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 03:44 PM

Thanks Shari. Sounds perfect, just have to see how long this Covid things plays out. In the meantime, just dreaming about it will have to do.

George Bernard Shaw

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 03:50 PM

some nice halibut caught from shore here these days!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Rossman in correct. I spoke with Cedros Outdoor and the island is closed until sometime in August and who knows about then.

Hey map boy, :biggrin: how abut a map from highway 1 to Punta Eugenia?

What is the road like as I don't want it to rough if I am pulling a boat and trailer?

Map boy?
LOL
All my maps are on the Nomad Road Conditions forum... I will add them.
The road is paved all the way to Bahía Tortugas from Vizcaino (107 miles). The 16 dirt miles from Tortugas to Punta Eugenia is very smooth, wide dirt road except for the first kilometer leaving town.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 05:50 PM

Thank you map boy!

George Bernard Shaw

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2020 at 07:31 PM

The road from Vizcaino to Tortugas just might be the best paved road in all of Baja, and the dirt from Tortugas to Eugenia might be the best dirt road in Baja. Any recent rains would change the assessment of the dirt road.
Don't know what sort of boat you plan on pulling down but just a word of caution. The launch at Punta Eugenia is pretty rudimentary. Something like 23 ft Parker would be a real challenge.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 7-25-2020 at 09:28 AM

Only, made that trip once. I needed to get myself and some of my crew back to Sandy Eggo. We went out to the landing strip @ Tortugas and we waited for the plane. No terminal or schedule. When the DC-3 showed up, no seats. One side of the cabin was filled with Tecate and the other with beef in burlap. When we flew out to Cedros, we could see the seats on the tarmac. We de-planed, cargo was unloaded and the seats were installed. We flew to GN for an all night bus ride that is a whole nother story.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2020 at 11:48 AM

Howard, I have been out that road, stayed in Tomas' place and gone to Isla Natividad. All good. But send Tomas a photo of your boat. Might be tough in that little bay at Punta Eugenia.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 10:43 PM

Hi Howard,

do not take a skiff there and try to launch and fish Cedros. I have fished that area since 2004. it may seem close but has a canyons that push metric tons of water.

Contact Tomas Arce as recommended by Shari. You can enjoy and learn. Locals have died crossing from eugenia to Cedros.

Beautful area. One of the last, but not for long.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.