Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Dog in the House
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2020 at 03:18 PM
Baja Dog in the House

I am missing Baja a lot and I check this site frequently hoping for vicarious escape. I’m sure I’m not the only one so let me share a happy Baja story -

Say hola to a new member of my family. My daughter graduated from college last year. As captain of an NCAA D1 cross country and long distance track team she set a goal to adopt a retired race dog. She loves Baja and knows it quite well.

After some research and a few visits to the Greyhound Adoption Center in San Diego her heart was set on a retired Caliente racer from Tijuana. His racing name was Fiesta Natural.

I cannot recommend this organization enough. A no-kill shelter, non-profit, all volunteer. Pay them a visit and you will either leave in tears or with a new best friend -

https://houndsavers.org/about-houndsavers/

The tattoos in his ears prove he was fast early in his career and won quite a few races but stopped trying to win for some reason so they retired him early. He is a lucky one to retire so young with no injuries or diseases. The adoption center named him Kirby and it just seemed right. We brought him home to Carlsbad and realized he had never been in a house before. Stairs were new to him. Everything was new to him. All he knew was life in a crate... and racing. We have a crate for him but the door is always open.

My daughter is now applying to medical schools while Kirby watches her and follows her everywhere. I can’t imagine enduring this pandemic without this sweet boy. I didn’t know much about greyhounds and had fears that they aren’t smart or social.

After having this dude in the house for the last 9 months I can’t say enough about how sweet, goofy, graceful, clumsy, smart, social, alert, aloof, loyal, etc. - just a new best friend who is always happy to see you come home. He loves riding in the back seat of my truck and I can’t wait to take him on a big Baja trip when people stop acting like this virus is fake.

I can’t wait to see him run free in a safe environment.
I’m thinking of the spit to the lighthouse in Bahia de Los Angeles at low tide. This boy is freaking fast. Scary fast.
45 mph fast. I loves him and am so happy to finally have a Baja dog in the house. Be well.

[Edited on 7-28-2020 by BajaNomad]
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2020 at 04:22 PM

Thank you, for this wonderful story about Kirby.

Enjoy the time with him, even you can't be in Baja right now.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 06:07 AM

Super cool!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 06:10 AM

Those photos are priceless! Welcome to the world of fun, Kirby!

If he ever needed to wear a mask, from the top photos, I see he has it down! NO sharing the virus coming from him.

Beautiful story, beautiful dog. Congrats to you and Kirby on hitting the jackpot.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 07:43 AM

:cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 08:09 AM

excellent post!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 08:43 AM

Good on you folks for adopting a retiree! My long legged girl loves to run off leash with me following on wheels. The fastest steady pace I have clocked her at was 28 mph. I think she could go a bit faster for a short burst, but 45...no way!

I use a "Sport Dog" training collar to keep control of her, and it has been a life saver! It beeps when i turn it on, and she is happy to come to me to put it on, because it means we are going outside. I use it as a hearing aid that helps her hear my commands out to 500 yards.

https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e83uv9pUVVLWBe2HoAYis0HTVUCUwYk...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 09:28 AM

Heart-warming .... muchas gracias :saint: :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 10:04 AM

Home run. Ball is out of the park! Continued pura vida.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 11:20 AM

Pretty dog.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 07:16 AM

Great story
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 08:04 AM

retired racing dogs are used as cadavers at veterinary schools. when a buddy was in school he showed me a photo of a huge walk in freezer full of hanging greyhounds. this was in the late 70s....not an image easily forgotten.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 09:44 AM

bajadogs....

I have tears in my eyes after reading this!

Thank you for your positive, inspiring story, and excellent photographs.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 12:44 PM

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

When ever they put on an RV/boat show or Home and Garden show at the Fair Grounds here in Bakersfield they usually have a booth with retired Greyhounds looking for a home.
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2020 at 04:51 PM

Thank you--I love stories of the dogs of Baja. Lovely photos, too.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2022 at 06:03 AM

So, how is Kirby doing these days?

Very cool to see these photos again.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2022 at 08:27 AM

Greyhound Friends rescues retired Greyhounds in the Boston area and does wonderful work educating the community. We nearly adopted one, but instead opted for a velociraptor from the Australian Cattledog Rescue Association, where we've been active for over 20 years, adopting 2 cattledog mixes of our own in the process.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So, how is Kirby doing these days?

Very cool to see these photos again.

Thanks for asking Blanca. Kirby is doing well in his second year of med school. Mi hija adopted another TJ racer who shattered his right rear leg on his 80th race. She named him Lucky Boy. Anonymous donors saved him and paid for multiple surgeries to save his leg but he will never be as fast as Kirby. He was only 2 years old when my daughter picked him up over summer break. He is big and strong but also sweet, goofy and gentle. So Lucky Boy and Kirby live in New Mexico in a little cinder block house with a dirt back yard. Because I bonded with Kirby I still miss him horribly and visit as much as I can - my daughter too of course. I'll try to add a few pix. I hope you and Les are doing well and also hope Les has found a good cheese source in Turkey.

dogs2.jpg - 149kB

[Edited on 10-24-2022 by bajadogs]

dogs3.jpg - 118kBdogs1.jpg - 212kBMed-School-Life.jpg - 201kB
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 05:24 PM

Good for you guys for giving a loving forever home to dogs who surely appreciate it. I wish people who pay hundreds of dollars for a dog from a breeder would adopt all the dogs out there who need rescuing, instead. The worst are the people who want a certain breed because its some rare breed and they derive some kind of "status" by having it.

I'm not one of those bleeding hearts for animals that wants to try to save every dog on the planet, but Kirby and Lucky Boy are both very lucky dogs.

The dog I had for 12 years, who appeared at my house at the age of 5 months and had to be put down last year due to a tumor in her spleen was not a racing breed (she most closely resembled a Korean Jindo, both in looks and temperament), but she loved to run and was fast. Where I live in the countryside in mainland Mexico, she would run full tilt boogie straight at the barbed wire fences, flatten herself out and sail between the wires. I could probably have taught that dog to jump through a flaming hoop if I'd wanted to.

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by surabi]
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Good for you guys for giving a loving forever home to dogs who surely appreciate it. I wish people who pay hundreds of dollars for a dog from a breeder would adopt all the dogs out there who need rescuing, instead.

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by surabi]

Thanks! It for sure wasn't about getting a pure bred, simply giving an ex-racer a chance to live a full life. I've learned so much since my daughter brought him home. Fun Greyhound Facts -

Christopher Columbus brought greyhounds and mastiffs to the Americas. Look it up if you can handle nightmarish details.

Oldest pure bred dog in the world (mummified with Egyptian Gods)

second fastest land animal behind cheetah

Friendlier than a cheetah.

Sad, but a good thing is that the race tracks have shut down. The big hounds are becoming rare. Caliente in TJ is the only track still open in all of MX.

I do not support any form of animals as entertainment.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.