Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2 huge cleanups today
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 05:56 PM
2 huge cleanups today

Tidiana and Abraham are working on the road that goes to Bocanita. Ray and Michelle are building a big home right on the water but the road to them was filthy so I asked if they wanted to sponsor the 7 kid couple to clean it up. We will pay them for 5 days work.

It used to be the old dump, so there is a lot of trash.

This is todays work. Check out the mess!

Look at the difference!!

Here is what the full truck looks like. It is astounding how fast this couple works....even so, it is going to take them another 3 days by their calculations.

[Edited on 7-30-2020 by BajaNomad]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 06:32 PM

Those plastic crates are what we use to move the trash. Abrahams's kids are amazing workers. Everything they do, they do as a family. The love is incredible.

Dad puts it in the crate with rake

Run to the truck

Jump up!

Repeat.

I believe the kids will never litter. This is such a huge project. They are getting well paid and smile the whole time!

[Edited on 7-30-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 06:42 PM

I had three of the young men in the college scholarship project come over from Abreojos and do a clean up with me here in tow, We worked for hours and my body feels it now!

On Friday i will get the girls to do a clean up with me too.

Come visit La Bocana

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-29-2020 at 07:21 PM

Good work!

I hope they take the trash to a landfill that covers the waste with soil. Otherwise it will blow around the waste’s “new” neighborhood.

Where does the town now take it’s waste?

Surface dumps are bad. They attract vermin (rats, gulls, coyotes), and wind blows the low density waste hither and yon.... Rains wash the waste to the sea where it wreaks all kinds of havoc

May cost a few pesos to cover the waste daily, but it sure improves the aesthetics... Wish more baja communities cared enough to spend some money on waste management

Reduce, reuse, recycle!

Give a hoot, don’t pollute!

Bury your waste!

Pack it in, pack it out!

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints!

Got any green slogans in Spanish?

[Edited on 7-30-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 05:40 AM
Has recycling mostly turned into a sham?

Los Angeles public television, KCET has broadcast a program about how recycling has become a major failure - at least in California.

Goat - take the time to view this - 26 minutes or so - to come away with a better understanding of today's recycling in SO CAL. Does San Diego do better?

Hint - most recyclables go to the landfill and not into other uses.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/socal-connected/episodes/life-in-...

John M
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 06:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Los Angeles public television, KCET has broadcast a program about how recycling has become a major failure - at least in California.

Goat - take the time to view this - 26 minutes or so - to come away with a better understanding of today's recycling in SO CAL. Does San Diego do better?

Hint - most recyclables go to the landfill and not into other uses.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/socal-connected/episodes/life-in-...

John M

Recycling is not a failure. Recyclables are commodities: glass, aluminum, steel, HDPE, etc.
Right now the commodity market for recyclable plastics is poor, so that stream may be going to landfills.
Does not mean you should quit recycling or assume the system is a failure. The market will adapt. Things change with time.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 10:32 AM

I watched the video and am floored.

Come visit La Bocana

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 11:31 AM
Video is eye-opening

It doesn't appear that Goat watched the video, as it isn't just plastics that aren't being recycled but how about those huge bales of aluminum cans being covered in the landfills as well? Pack it in pack it out and dispose properly is about what we can do.

I wonder now how the street corner recycle centers stay in business at all.

Blanca - Goat asked a good question, is the trash going to a sort of land fill and being buried or covered? Hopefully just not moved out of sight.

John
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 11:59 AM

One of the biggest supporters of recycling plastics is the plastic industry. They know recycling plastic doesn't really work, they're behind the idea because it makes their product more acceptable, easier to sell.

------------------------------------------------------

"There was never an enthusiastic belief that recycling was ultimately going to work in a significant way," says Lew Freeman, former vice president of government affairs for the industry's lobbying group, then called the Society of the Plastics Industry, or SPI.

Another top official, Larry Thomas, who led SPI for more than a decade until 2000, says the strategy to push recycling was simple:

"The feeling was the plastics industry was under fire, we got to do what it takes to take the heat off, because we want to continue to make plastic products," Thomas says. "If the public thinks the recycling is working, then they're not going to be as concerned about the environment."

"Plastic production overall is now expected to triple by 2050, and once again, the industry is spending money on ads and public relations to promote plastic and recycling."

Plastic Wars: Industry Spent Millions Selling Recycling — To Sell More Plastic

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/31/822597631/plastic-wars-three-...

[Edited on 7-30-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2020 at 08:08 PM

This is where it is headed....European consortium will mandate everything with invisble barcodes that can be sorted efficiently and recycled. Cans, plastics, cloth, music, media, just about anything can be digitally watermarked by an Oregon company, Digimarc, and then tracked from seed to recycling. Has a million uses and will replace the traditional barcode pretty soon.

Euro's are trying to self regulate before gov't does it for them and US is pretty close behind since it is good business to appear worried about the environment. Maybe the lobbyists won't screw this up too much.

Also watch Boyan Slats River Interceptor videos to accompany his Ocean Clean Up attempts. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anTLAySG-18
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2020 at 06:30 AM

Invisible barcodes ? amazing times!

I haven't watched the ocean cleanup video yet, but so many are doing so much. Kids are the future if this is going to work. I have asked my student helpers to spread the word.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.